Advice for newbie

mrdr

Looking for first fifth wheel--actually, first RV. Limiting choice to 3/4 ton towable (daily vehicle and do not want anything more). My wife and I will use it full time for a year or two to see the country, then on and off for half of the year thereafter--at least, that is the plan. Priorities are:

1) as trouble free as possible (routine maintenance is expected).

2) well insulated/heated/air conditioned--we will not be camping, but using the rv as our rolling hotel room--think really bad allergies, so windows closed. We will follow the seasons.

3) washer/dryer.

4) max hitch weight about 2,100 lbs--this is probably the limiting factor with our truck.

5) due to 6.5' truck bed, we plan on using a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch, if that matters.

Our options are:

a) SpaceCraft custom.

B) Arctic Fox 29-5T.

c) Used NuWa Hitchhiker II LS or Discover America--I think all Champagnes are too heavy?

d) Used Cameo.

e) Used Triple-E Topaz.

I think that Continental Coach would be too heavy. I know New Horizons is too heavy. We are looking roughly 30-34 feet, depending on weight.

Any preferences regarding these? Thanks all.

Welcome to the Escapees forums! We are please that you are joining us here and there are many folks here who will be happy to assist in any way we might be able.

Did somebody replace "b)" above with an emoji? Is that "the" answer?

Only you have the ability to edit a post that you make and the software notes that a post was edited when that happens so you must have made a typo there....

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your requirements look very much like mine did. W/D were an absolute requirement and I couldn't find a floorplan under 32 feet that included them. I wound up with a 2003 Hitchhiker Premier 35FKTG. It is rated at a 2,200 pound tongue weight, but that is with 833 pounds of water on board and 2 old analog TVs combined another 120 pounds and 14 gal of propane. So actual for me was more like 2,000 pounds. I looked at hundreds of floor plans and liked this particular one for a variety of reasons. I believe it will meet your other requirements and I like mine so much, I suggest you consider HH Premiers as well.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Well i have only owned a Class a dp, but a good friend of mine had 2 5th wheels an 3 class a's.

he said only part of 5th that he didnt like is that, when they stopped to eat or rest, it was like a oven in there, but i have heard there are some unit's with a auto switch to get the a/c going prior to stopping. He said , if your going to live in it an not go anywhere, (perm setting, 5th is way to go.).

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

it was like a oven in there, but i have heard there are some unit's with a auto switch to get the a/c going prior to stopping. He said , if your going to live in it an not go anywhere, (perm setting, 5th is way to go.).

This only works if the trailer has a generator.

Jim

I had not run across Hitchhiker's Premier line. Do you have a link to floor plans? I can only find II LS, Discover America, and Champagne.

NuWa's archives is located at: http://www.nuwa.com/archives/

If you go to the 2003 year for instance, and select HitchHiker then scroll down through the models you will find Premier. From there you can select floor plans, pictures or specifications.

I believe the Premier was the deluxe HitchHiker prior to 2006. In 2006 the Champagne appeared as a larger version and they had both models, then in 2007 dropped the Premier.

In case you weren't already aware....

Kansas RV Center http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/

in Chanute, Kansas is staffed by the folks that built NuWa trailers. They trade and have an inventory of used and new trailers. Since they used to build the trailers they are very familiar with NuWas and can do any level of refurbishment. I wouldn't worry much about the age of a trailer, it's much more about the quality when it was made and the care it has had. If you can find a used one priced right, then take it to Kansas RV and get them to go over it and make it like new to any level you wish that is within your budget. I'm guessing that would save at least 1/2 the cost of a new trailer and be every bit as good. I think buying a trailer is much more like buying a house than buying a car.

(I have no connection to Kansas RV, just a happy customer.)

Do you have link to each one in your list? I tend to prefer Arctic Fox units. I too have a short bed Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9. you might want to reconsider that 300-400 pound hitch. More than a few of us are using the Andersen Ultimate hitch. So easy, especially if you already have a gooseneck to attach it to as I have. http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx The aluminum version weighs 35 pounds. Mine is steel and with a bad back I can install it in about ten minutes, and remove it in five. See this short 44 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhC9iY9-J8 Then watch the first few minutes of this 12 minute one on the Aluminum version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW-ynhTatA I was going Pullrite too until I saw their weight. What are your GCWR and truck GVWR and trailer tow limits?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

No really, we had a 1991 Champagne, traded in 1998 for another, still have it.

Jim

Good to know, thanks. I was going by what NuWa had in their archives and it never occured to me there were models that existed, but simply weren't in the archives.

Si

Thanks for advice on Andersen hitch--I will look into it. Using a lighter hitch obviously helps. Unfortunately, no links on anything but the Arctic Fox--the others are just models I thought might work based on weights I could find.

I just went through the same process last year and ended up with the Arctic Fox 35-5z. We have a Ford 350 dually though. I have seen the 29-5T and they are nice. Came very close to buying an Excel----very very nice but now out of production. NuWa was also on my list and something I would be happy to own. I don't know the others you listed but you seem to be looking at good choices.

Keep double checking the weights and I would ask people here to double check your numbers before you pull the trigger on a unit.

Welcome......

Dave and Lana Hasper

Archived