Fires in the west

We're headed south in two weeks, into what a friend laughingly reffered to as Calinferno. A state of emergency was declared in california this week by Governor Brown, due to the wildfires, many of which are still raging out of control.

So, I was wondering, is there anyone that may have had plans to head south and changed their destinations due to the ongoing drought and subsequent fires?

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

We are currently in northern OR and will be hitting northern CA (redwoods area) around the first of September. Our plans had been to travel south through CA bouncing between the mountains and the coast to hit all the major national parks etc. We have been watching the fire situation and are considering changing our plans depending on the fire situations. We probably wont make a decision until later this month. We would probably re-route after we visit Redwoods if we change our plans.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

I live within a few miles of the Rocky Fire (currently the largest fire burning in CA). It was touch and go as to whether we would have to evacuate the first night. Since then the fire has mostly moved away from us, but has grown to 67000+ acres and there are currently about 3500 firefighters fighting it. It is huge, but not in an area desireable to most travelers. The Redwoods and the coast are quite safe and are nowhere near any of the current fires. While there are a lot of fires burning in CA right now, CA is a very large state and it is pretty easy to avoid them. I would keep a wide birth of any of the current fires as far as places to stay are concerned, but I wouldn't let them stop me from driving to or through the state.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Who knows what the situation will be in September? All the fires currently raging could very well be out or under control. As Chad said, California is a big state and it would be easy to avoid getting near a fire. Just keep an eye on the news to make sure none are close to the roads where you'll be traveling.

Here's a website you can use to keep track of all the California wildfires, no matter the jurisdiction:

http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/ActiveFiresList.php

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Head up north of Clear Lake....Trinity, Shasta, the Redwoods...tons of RVplace up there.

I thought I read where there was a big fire near Clear Lake. I love the Trinity Alps and surrounding area. I think I would also be concerned about smoke. Must be lot of wide spread haze too.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Here is a Google map maintained by CAL FIRE showing all of the California fires - http://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zp8nK_5H0MFQ.kzTmU5XK-qJQ . Zoom in to see details on each fire. As Chad Heiser said, the Rocky Fire is growing away from Clear Lake. We have relatives in the area, so we are monitoring the situation. Hopefully it will all be a memory when we visit for Christmas.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I thought I read where there was a big fire near Clear Lake. I love the Trinity Alps and surrounding area. I think I would also be concerned about smoke. Must be lot of wide spread haze too.

That's the Rocky fire. I experienced smoke in Sacramento on Sunday. I imagine I-5 is a bit smoky. Trinity Alps is north of the fire and should be ok as the prevailing winds will tend to blow the smoke eastward.

After the Redwoods I'd head over to Lassen and then over to US395 to head south. But there may be fires there as well.

Roger

Colorado

For us we certainly want to avoid the fires but just as importantly the smoke etc. We were up on the Olympic Penn during the BC fires and it really interfered with out enjoyment of the area to a degree.

Thanks for the links - that is good information. There are quite a few more fires that I realized.....

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Inciweb is a great resource for information about fires.

However, when we are traveling we are more concerned about the smoke impacts than the fire impacts.

Here is the web site for California and smoke impacts. Click on the tabs for satellite photos and other detailed information.

http://californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com

Other states also have similar sites. Just do a search on smoke impacts and the state name.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived