Does my OTA TV Antenna Need to Be Plumb?

Jim Gell

I took my ubiquitous Winegard crank up antenna off from the front bedroom area to mount solar panels. The roof and interior ceiling where I plan to reinstall it slope 1/2 inch per foot. I may replace the head unit with a Razar in the future, but for now I will keep the King Jack head on it. I also have my WiFi Ranger Mobile antenna mounted on the mast below the King.

Wingard's installation instructions say to buy, from them, special wedges for the roof and the ceiling so it can be mounted plumb if your roof and ceiling slope.

If I just mounted it perpendicular to the roof rather than plumb (perpendicular to level) without the wedges, what would be the harm? The King is 12 inches long.

I saw a comment in Amazon reviews that stated "They say it needs to be within 2% of being level to work correctly".

Will the antenna being 1/2 inch lower on one side, rather than perfectly level make any significant difference in reception?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I suspect that the answer depends upon the quality of over air signal you have. In fringe areas it probably will. The wings work best when at right angle to the signal pattern, or at least in theory. If it were mine, I'd set it up on the ground and then put the 1/2" spacer under one side to see how far out of horizontal it is and then decide. I'd not think it would matter a great deal, but................... :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Jim:

Think of the antenna as a beam pointing out into space. It will work best if it is pointed directly at the source of the TV signal. Can it function if slightly misaimed? Sure, just like in the old days when we used to climb on the roof to adjust TV antennas at home. The degree of aiming error you can tolerate will depend on the signal strength and other factors. Can you live with it slightly tilted? Probably, it just won't be as effective in weak signal situations as it might have been.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Alrighty, I was thinking I should take your advice and try to buy the parts to install it plumb so the antenna will be level. However, I can't find any reference on Winegard's site as to the slope the wedges will compensate for, other than a statement that greater slopes may need multiple wedges. It could be that the wedges will over compensate and I won't get the antenna plumb after spending the money on the parts. I may also need to replace the worm gear shaft for cranking it up and the plastic directional rotation "tube" that were cut to fit the roof without wedges. It looks like all the parts I may need to mount it plumb would cost at least $50+. If it made the mast plumb, and that really makes a difference in reception, it may be worth it.

I tried calling Winegard to see what slope their wedge is designed to compensate for. After being on hold for next technician for 5-10 minutes, I was directed to leave a voicemail.

I also took a look at the roof/ceiling in bedroom where the antenna was originally mounted. Lo and behold, that area has the same 1/2 inch per foot slope, only in the opposite direction. Apparently Travel Supreme did not see fit to use the wedges.

Jim

2016 smart car

Winegard just called back. Even though I left my simple question in a succinct voice mail they started out with "How can we help you?" (Don't you just hate that?) I told them my roof has a 1/2 inch in 1 foot slope and I needed to know what slope roof their Sensar wedge is designed to compensate for? He said he did not know, but would ask. Hold.... He came back to say "they have an exterior wedge and an interior wedge. Which one do I need?" I told him I would need both, but only if it will work on my roof, and explained my question once again. Hold.... He comes back after a few minutes. "We don't seem to have that information. But if your roof slopes this is designed to straighten up the mast." Me - "Do you have the dimensions of the wedge? Him - Well, I see that one edge is 7/8" and the other is 3/16" . Me - "Great, now can you tell me how long it is between those sides?" Him - No, but it would be the same as the antenna base." Thank you/Thank you.

I measured the base and it's 9 inches long. A little math tells me that the slope of the wedge is 0.9167 inches in a foot.

So essentially, the wedge would over compensate to very nearly the same off plumb tilt in the opposite direction.

I doubt I will find a "half size" wedge, and I don't feel inspired to make one, so unless someone posts an idea I am missing, I am going back to plan A and installing it perpendicular to roof with the antenna slightly off plumb.

Jim

2016 smart car

I don't see this as an issue. Your not locking onto a satellite 22,000 miles up. Your trying to reel in a radio frequency from a distance which is effectively line of sight. The roof slope isn't going to be an issue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived