Spare tire for smart

ruthanns1

Made a spare tire holder for our Smart and today we got two rear matching wheels and good rubber plus

a cover for $330. We plan on putting rear wheels all the way around. Can't wait to get them on. I never liked

riding around without a spare tire, problem solved. As soon as I can get my phone to work I'll post some pictures.post-30661-0-37888200-1438472475_thumb.jpg post-30661-0-39759900-1438473077.jpg post-30661-0-89667500-1438473175.jpg

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

On the spare issue......I also was very uncomfortable running without a spare tire. But then I realized that in the last 15 years fulltiming I never had a flat on a vehicle with an engine. Well, one on my truck, but that was a tire monitor that gave it up.... But never on a daily driver.

And also realized that in the 25 years before that when I was house bound I also never had a flat on the 4 cars we had. Not one, on the road. I had one in the driveway.

So that made me feel a little better. I do carry a plug kit, in the off chance it would help me. And I have road service.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I,agree with jack. Can't remember when the last flat I had. A couple close calls that were repaired. If we drove the smart to the middle of no where I would be more concerned. Fix a flat and or local tire repiar shops should be good for me.

On a related note. To have the same tires all the way around, do you have to buy two new rims as well ????? And is there a clearance issue with the front end parts????

Thanks guys

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

JC, the original front rims are 4.5" wide and the rears are 5.5" wide (on a passion-Brabus is different). I put 6" wide rims with 195/50/15's (same diameter as the factory tires) all the way around and I have never had a clearance issue on either of my 2 smarts. Also the 195's are much easier to find than those silly sizes that come on the smart.

I bought the rims from Tirerack.com. I bought the Rial "Lemans" wheels. In MY opinion, the car handles and drives much nicer than it did with the little skinny front tires pus I can rotate the tires now. Also, since I am shorter than some of you tall guys, I bought a tire bag and put one of the skinny front tires behind the driver seat to carry as a spare. I sold the other front tire to a guy who did the same and sold the rear pair to someone who mounted them on the front of their smart to match the factory rears. Made enough off the same of those three tires/wheels to pay for the new wheels so I was just out the cost of the new tires.

IMAG0266_zpsvk7zxag1.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

JC, the original front rims are 4.5" wide and the rears are 5.5" wide (on a passion-Brabus is different). I put 6" wide rims with 195/50/15's (same diameter as the factory tires) all the way around and I have never had a clearance issue on either of my 2 smarts. Also the 195's are much easier to find than those silly sizes that come on the smart.

I bought the rims from Tirerack.com. I bought the Rial "Lemans" wheels. In MY opinion, the car handles and drives much nicer than it did with the little skinny front tires pus I can rotate the tires now. Also, since I am shorter than some of you tall guys, I bought a tire bag and put one of the skinny front tires behind the driver seat to carry as a spare. I sold the other front tire to a guy who did the same and sold the rear pair to someone who mounted them on the front of their smart to match the factory rears. Made enough off the same of those three tires/wheels to pay for the new wheels so I was just out the cost of the new tires.

IMAG0266_zpsvk7zxag1.jpg

That looks good enough to steal........

Drive on.......(looking sharp......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The smart is so light it will run a long way on a flat tire. A few years ago I made a run out to the barn where we store the truck and fiver thought the smart was feeling a bit squirrly so I did a walk around when I got there and the left rear was flat! A bit surprising.

But other than that it has been a coon's age since I had a true flat on the road. Had a recap throw a tread on the Volvo a few years ago, but that turned out to be road hazard damage.

I carry the standard inflator/sealer in the smart and don;t give it any other thought.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived