RVers looking out for each other

sandiern

As I read these sharing touching story's it reminds me of just what makes this country so GREAT! Thanks.

Safe Travels! Always Be Aware Of YOUR Surrounding's!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I full-time in a Class C without towing a vehicle, so when I go off for the day, I often leave my water hose attached to the post and maybe a chair sitting out. Most of the time, I also leave an "occupied" sign sitting out because more than once I have had a kindly neighbor run down the road after me bringing me my "forgotten" hose!

We found a small, collapsible traffic cone for sale at a truck stop. We used a Sharpie to write on it that we would be returning. Leaving that in our site always worked. Whereas leaving a table cloth on the picnic table just meant the cloth disappeared before we returned.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My wife and I were talking about this thread last night and she reminded me of something that happened over 30 years ago (women really do never forget things!!!!) that I had forgotten...when our girls were small (7 and 4) we always took trips to Colorado for our 2 weeks of vacation. At that time all we had was a tent and a Subaru station wagon with over 100,000 miles on it!! Most of our trips were pretty uneventful as far as mechanical breakdowns go but on one return trip we were within 100 miles of making it home when I started hearing a clattering like bearing going out on something under the hood...as I pulled off the freeway and into a small shopping center parking lot the noise got worse and warning lights started blinking so I pulled to a stop and raised the hood. The bearing in the tensioner pully had gone south allowing the serpintine belt to fall off so we were stuck...Saturday (doesn't it always happen when nobody is open), strange place and very little money...and two small kids who were getting hot and cranky...well, out of nowhere a grizzled older gentleman came up asking if he could help us. He was in an old beat up Winnebago that had broken down and he was trying to get IT fixed...he said he was a retired mechanic and had all the tools we would need to fix the problem. Sure enough he took the old tensioner off, took us to a parts store down the street, got the parts and had my car fixed in less than an hour!! We tried to pay him but he wouldn't take a dime...but that's not the best part of the story...we drove away and got a few miles down the road and I remembered that I had not even gotten his name. I was bound and determined to get his name and address to send him SOMETHING at Christmas...so we make a u-turn and drive back to where his old Winny was broke down and there was nothing there...absolutely nothing...no sign of the old gentleman or his Winnebago!!! Guardian Angel??? Don't know, but all I do know is that he saved us from a miserable day and gave us something to talk about the rest of the way home!!!! Also planted a seed with us about traveling full time in an RV...something we had never even considered before! Hope I get the chance to help someone else one day! Have a great day!

This post (#31) reminds me of an incident of ours many years ago. Back in the mid 70's we were visiting Cody, WY and just as we were about to pull into an RV park the end of the day when the end broke off of the clutch cable of our 71 Jeep. We managed to get into the park and the pop-up parked by starting it in gear and stopping by turning off the ignition. The next morning the park owner took me to several places to try and get a new part for the clutch when a mechanic told us how he had repaired that same part for a local attorney who owned that same year Jeep. The mechanic said that the fellow later returned to have the proper part installed after it came in so suggested we contact the attorney. As it happened, the attorney only lived two doors from the RV park so we stopped at his house just as he was about to leave for work. When I told him why I was there he said that he believed that the repaired part might be in the Jeep. Checking the glove box it was there so he handed it to me. I was very grateful and asked what I could pay him for it. The man thought a moment, the responded that he had used it for a time so I should not pay full cost, what about $5? I paid the man, the park owner & I returned to our RV site and by 9 am our Jeep was temporarily repaired!

We enjoyed the rest of our trip and when back home I ordered the replacement part, and put it in. That part failed again in just over a year, so I put the repaired one back, bought a new one to keep in the glove box and that new part was still there when we traded the Jeep off about 4 years later. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

<_< I have found that most people will assist others; I will still even though my limitations sometimes get the best of me and i can't; which really irritates me and I have to sit on the sidelines and watch someone else do what I wanted. :o

Did that make sense???? :lol::lol::lol:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

<_< I have found that most people will assist others; I will still even though my limitations sometimes get the best of me and i can't; which really irritates me and I have to sit on the sidelines and watch someone else do what I wanted. :o

Pieere,

Absolutely agree! Been there and it is very frustrating. But, like you, we still keep trying. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Yes, it did. I think about buying a white had that says "supervisor" on it for situations like that. That makes it seem like my knowledgeable suggestions might still have some power.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived