No Engine Brakes

floncto

Do you class A folks with jake brakes pay any attention to the "no engine brake" signs that I see in various communities?

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

Not a class A either. The communities that have the No Jake Brake laws don't want the semi trucks with the twin 6" unmuffled stacks using them in their towns. They are loud in that configuration. When towing I use the Jake to slow down, but mine is quiet.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Both of my Newells had muffled jake brakes. I used them in towns and figured I would rather have more stopping power driving through some of the towns. I've been through a few that have a traffic light at the bottom of a steep grade and I want to make sure that I can safely stop.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Our class A has no muffler so we are already loud. I obey those signs. I have no desire to get into a pi** ing contest with a local small town officer over what brake retarder system I'm using.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Funny this thread should show up now.

I was taking my Wife to Madison WI to the DR, and always go thru a small town of Brooklyn WI... Population of 1401.

All flat and basically only a 4 way stop, plus a small town.

Coming into the City Limits where there is basically nothing, there is a big sign stating "No Jake Brakes" :)

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

My big CAT engine in my class A is muffled so I disregard those signs, unless of course there is a marked cruiser in sight, which I have never seen at that time. Even still I would just use it judiciously. I have seen some communities with a sign that reads " No unmuffled engine brakes" which is what I think the real intent is in most areas.

Ron ..you dont have an engine brake. You have an exhaust brake and I guarantee that you will never be pulled over for using it. They dont make any noise to speak of. I use mine all the time.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Yes. Even though I have a muffled jake brake I will usually turn it off if there are signs stating such. For myself it is just a curtesy to the residents and I have yet to be in a small town that my speed was such that I felt a Jake brake would be needed. We're talking 35 to 40 MPH max speed limits and relatively flat ground. Been through one that had a steep grade, maybe two blocks long. Hardly long enough to warrant turning on the Jake.

However, should I forget I'm not going to worry about it. As stated earlier I think the signs are really for unmuffled trucks. I have not heard of any RVer being stopped for using the Jake in a restricted area.

Archived