Cleaning your awning

I would check with the manufacture of the awning. As I would think they could be made from different materials. It would suck to damage the awning and have to replace it.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Use bleach and some Dawn dish soap along with water to wash my awning.....put it on a spray bottle and with awning open....spray the underside...really dirty spots...a long handle brush works great. Roll it up..and let it sit for 20-30 minutes......brush the bad spots again if needed and the rinse off.....and you will be amazed at how clean it comes out with hardly any effort.

87ecf2fa36fc1b1.jpg

There is always 2-3 oz bleach in my wash water bucket (5G). It kills any mold/mildew growing on the MH(black spots) and awnings. Do not leave it on for an extended period and always rinse thoroughly, as some awnings were sewn with cotton thread. Bleach and cotton do not like each other.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are two types of material commonly used acrylic and vinyl. The cleaning instructions are different.

Here is some info I have collected:
From an email to me from A&E:
For your acrylic awing We recommend to use mild detergent and warm water. A 1/2 cup of non chlorine bleach can be used. Once a fabric is cleaned, you may need to retreat with Scotchguard.
From a A&E pdf file on their web site:
Awnings come with two types of fabric…acrylic, a cloth-type fabric, or vinyl. Is one better than the other? Not really. It’s a matter of taste and preference.
Acrylic awnings have the color woven right into the fabric. Acrylic also performs a little differently than
vinyl in wet weather. It is water repellent, not waterproof. Because it’s a woven cloth, it breathes. Air circulates through the fabric so dew and rain can dry quickly. However, you should avoid touching the underside of an acrylic awning when it is wet. This will break the surface tension and allow seepage through the fabric. If your awning gets rolled up while wet, unroll it as soon as the weather allows. It should be completely dry before rolling it up again to avoid mildew.
To keep your acrylic awing clean, simply hose it off occasionally and let it dry. Do not scrub your acrylic awning as this could remove its water retardant finish. If you need to remove a grease spot, use K2R Spot Remover; this is different than how you would remove a similar spot from a vinyl awning..
While a vinyl awning is mildew resistant, mildew can still form on the dirt and dust that sticks to the awning. To avoid these problems you will need to keep your UV-protected vinyl awning clean. Use a mixture of 1/4 cup dish soap, 1/4 cup bleach and five gallons of fresh water. Soap the open awning with this mixture, then roll it up to soak for five minutes while you apply the mixture to the bottom of the awning. Next, open the awning and hose it off with fresh water top and bottom. Repeat this process if necessary.
After the awning is completely dry, roll it up. To remove a grease spot from a vinyl awning, use only soap and water.
Do not use household cleaners, mildew removers or hard bristle brushes!

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Archived