water filter

lartross

I was doing a test run on my new filter system and a coupla' problems appeared.

1: when running from the tank with my onboard pump, water dribbled out the "water input" line...not the water tank access hole.

It kept my pump cycleing. I thought I had a leak somewhere and explored everwhere becore

I found it. (I kinda' had to because all the rain caused my septic system to fail, so

we're having to use the 5th wheel for showers and toilet until I get it fixed $$$$)

2: I had installed a 2-stage filter with a 1 u-cron sediment filter and a cbc-kdf charcoal filter.

The cbc-kdf almost completely blocked my flow, although it is rated as a 3gph filter.

I thought my hi dollar watts lfn45b-m1 was broke, out the box...but, it was the filter.

I removed it and things work OKish. Has anyone else had this happen with the kdf filter

or have water flow from the pump to the external water fitting? Do I just need to install

a blocking fixture when running off the house water?[or have a hose connected, not turned on

at the faucet?] It's been a surprising little experience...

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

There is a little back-flow preventer on your city water inlet, and sometimes they will get a little hung up with a bit of grit. I've had luck manually pushing the "flapper" in and out, and working the grit out. It might also be as simple as hooking a hose up and just running some clean water into the inlet then letting it re-seat. Worst case, you can either replace the inlet or plug it when you are on your pump.

On the water filter, we've had similar experience with the carbon block filter slowing flow down, despite a "high enough" flow rating. I've thought about experimenting with some different filters but haven't gotten around to it...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1: when running from the tank with my onboard pump, water dribbled out the "water input" line...

As mentioned, there is a check valve built into the city water connection which was no doubt leaking to cause your leak. They can and do fail over time and I have replaced several but found a permanent solution that never needs repair again. Since you really should have something in the connection when not in use to prevent it from getting dirty, I just use one of the threaded plugs, available from most RV stores or even Lowe's & Home Depot to screw into the city water connection.

41lVwUKhzuL._AA160_.jpg

2: I had installed a 2-stage filter with a 1 u-cron sediment filter and a cbc-kdf charcoal filter.

The cbc-kdf almost completely blocked my flow, although it is rated as a 3gph filter.

The filter you mention seems to be rated at only 3 gallons per hour and you need to think in terms of gallons per minute. That filter is much too restrictive to be workable in your system. I try to stay with a filter which can supply at least 3 gallons per minute but you will probably be happier if your filter is rated to supply at least 5 gallons per minute since the flow rate will slow as the filter is used up and the rated capacity is for a new, unused filter.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the info, Kirk. The filter is rated for 3 gal/min...my bad. I thought I was going to have to jury rig something. Glad there's plugs available.

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

I use these to help keep "stuff" out of my water tank and that back-flow prevention valve. Even city water can have small grit in the system. I remember one time my water flow was pitifully slow. I checked my hose screen where I it hooks to the CG water faucet and found two stones about 1/4" in dia.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I had the backflow valve on my city water inlet fail. Unlike some where the valve is separate and a reasonable cost repacement, mine was a $120 proposition.

I found a compact check valve at Kwik Link (RVH2O) that worked well for $15

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived