Axel alignment

Noticed wear on right front tire on our 2011 DRV 36'. Wear is on the outside edge. I am thinking the axle is out of alignment. Trailair suspension, 115 psi, and about 11,000 miles. Difficult to align? Can most RV dealers do this or should I take it to a professional suspension shop? I will measure it tomorrow and get back to this thread.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

When I noticed some abnormal tire wear I was sent to a semi truck alignment shop. To align our axels and set toe in/out, caster and camber they put the rig over a large pit with an enormous hydraulic device that actually bends the axels. We were in Rapid City at the time. Although I was nervous when we were sent there, when we arrived and saw the number of over the road trucks and trailers waiting to be aligned I was more comfortable. After the alignment the wear virtually stopped. Our alignment was ok but our toe in was way out as was the camber.

Uh … folks that would be "axle"

An "axel" is a jump in figure skating, so spell check does not catch it.

Not being critical, just a pet peeve, like "break" and "brake"

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

A truck alignment shop is the place to go, but there are good ones and bad ones ,check them out first.

They do bend the axles to line them up after checking for bushing wear and cracks etc.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Lol..Dennis. Some of the posts on here you almost need an interpreter, its like another language.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Uh … folks that would be "axle"

An "axel" is a jump in figure skating, so spell check does not catch it.

Not being critical, just a pet peeve, like "break" and "brake"

To you I would say get a life

To the OP truck shops are the best places to go but be sure they will bend the axles not move the mounts around.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Had a similar problem on my last fiver - triple axle Heartland Landmark. Ended up being a weak spring on the right rear axle. It had "flattened" and pushed the equalizer mechanism between 2nd and 3rd axle forward about half an inch. Outside shoulder of the right rear tire showed excessive wear and the left rear showed only moderate wear on the inside shoulder.

In my case, the equalizer had a flat surface on the bottom and all but one was parallel to the ground when parked on a flat surface. The right rear was at a 35-40 degree angle.

Measure the distance between the spindles on each side to see if they are the same.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Thanks folks. We have a couple of really good truck shops here in Little Rock. I will check them out.

Thanks for the correction on the spelling of axle. Another of my mistakes that I know better not to make.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem which I believe is caused by alignment. I'm currently in north central Illinois and can't seem to find anyone that will do the alignment. I've check with some rather large truck shops that their web site says they do alignment but they say they can't do it. Not sure if they can't or just don't want to.

Does anyone know of a place in northern Illinois that they can recommend?

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

I have a similar problem which I believe is caused by alignment. I'm currently in north central Illinois and can't seem to find anyone that will do the alignment. I've check with some rather large truck shops that their web site says they do alignment but they say they can't do it. Not sure if they can't or just don't want to.

Does anyone know of a place in northern Illinois that they can recommend?

I have used Champion Frame-Align in Elgin, IL. I was satisfied with their work.

http://championframe.com/index_flash.html

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

You can do your own checks.

You will need:

1. 4 Jackstands or crib blocking.

2. 1 or more bottle jacks.

3. Set of trammel points + beam (1X1 bar)

4. 16' rule.

Lift and support the trailer till all wheels are off the ground.

Find the center of the tread and spin each wheel then scribe the center circumference

Once all wheels are scribed with a helper log the front & rear distance for each axle.

Now remove the hub dust covers.

Using the points & beam log the axle center pip distance side to side for each axle pair.

You now know the state of your toe & axle to axle alignment.

Camber and axles to pin are the realm of the alignment shop however.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Archived