Low Bridges

gypsydan

How do you accurately measure the height of your RV?

Maybe something to add to the Escapees weight program.

Most RVs come from the manufacturer with a correct height to the highest point on the RV. If you do not know or are not sure of this, it is pretty simple to locate the highest point on the RV an then use a board or something to extend that to the outside edge of the RV and measure to the ground, or measure from the roof to the ground, then on the roof measure up from the roof to the top of whatever is highest on the RV, usually an air conditioner and then add that amount to the height from the ground. With a fifth wheel that can be a little bit tricky since the roof of those rise to the over truck part but with a class A it is almost always the top of an air conditioner that is the high point of the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We used a cheap 1x2 furring strip, a level and a tape measure to get our heights.

Since we had air suspension and an air hitch I took heights both inflated and deflated just in case I hit a spot that was too low to go full aired up but I could slip under dumped.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I used a craftsman rotating laser level @ dusk. I leveled it up and checked all the high points. Once the highest point was determined, I noted the offset from the beam to that point. I then rotated the beam to project to the side. Using a golf ball retriever I extended to the max distance, I grounded the handle and lowered the first section till the top was illuminated by the laser. I repeated this process for several angles and took the tallest measure. I applied the offset from earlier, then increased this to the next ½ foot for safety. 12'6" was the result.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

How do you accurately measure the height of your RV?

Maybe something to add to the Escapees weight program.

We did the Escapee's SmartWeigh at the RV bootcamp in Heiskel, TN, and they did measure the height of our rig. They had a big L shaped stick with measurements on it, and put it at the highest point of the rig, so we now know exactly how tall we are.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• 2 weeks later...

Invest in a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas. About $12 in any truckstop. All low bridges on all US/state/Interstate hwys listed by state. Also has routes for "STAA" (53' 102" wide 13'6 tractor trailers marked for every state.

Any question in your mind about any clearance, trees, signs, bridges whatever. Just stop. The honking will eventually subside. Not the damage to your unit if you proceed.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived