Braking with a tow dolly

A friend just gave me a tow dolly. The money that saves us is a greatly needed break. The dolly has no braking system, and we'll be hauling our 2wd Ford Ranger. I know absolutely nothing about remote braking systems. I do know I don't want to come down a grade of any sort, without one on that extra 3,000 pounds.

Anyone care to educate me?

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

"Will something along the lines of a Brake Buddy, inside my Ranger do the trick?"

I would NOT use a brake buddy on a vehicle that sits on a Tow Dolly!!!!!!!!!! I don't like the idea of TWO of the toads brakes going on !!! Its secured on the dolly (other two wheels) with tie down straps or chains etc.!!!!!

I tow all four down on my Colorado 4x4 Pickup and I use a Brake buddy in the truck, works fine and I feel reasonably safe

If you can tow the Ranger 4 down and NOT use a dolly then fine use a brake buddy, but unless its a 4x4 (which its not) or a manual tranny or you have a driveline disconnect (or remove driveshaft) I don't think its towable 4 down BIT LOOK AT THE MANUAL.

OPTION I had a car dolly with no brakes but I converted it to electric brakes which wasnt too hard or expensive. I bought some Dexter 3500 lb elec brakes with hubs and drums and all in an assembly which I mounted on y old dolly WORKED GREAT.

OPTION get a new dolly with either surge brakes or electric brakes BUT I WOULDNT TOW A TOAD (or toad on a dolly) UNLESS IT HAD AUXILIARY BRAKING

See what other gents have to say, this is just one mans opinion

John T

An add on system for the towed truck will not work unless you tow 4-down. With the dolly, you need brakes on the dolly.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Also many states require brakes on a towed vehicle. With out brakes you are risking a lot if an accident should occur. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

"Why is that? The brakes would still be functional on the rear tires"

Think about it, if two wheels are attached to the dolly with hold down straps or whatever, sure you want to be applying brakes to the other two wheels?????????? If things arent even or in sync, there could be forces that may tend to hold/pull the truck back off the dolly!!!!!!!!!!! If the back truck brakes aren't the same as the RV brakes and are really trying to hold you back, that would try to hold the truck backwards and pull it out or off of the hold downs.

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE ELSE or am I just silly????? Regardless, ITS NOT ANYTHING ID TRY

John T

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE ELSE or am I just silly????? Regardless, ITS NOT ANYTHING ID TRY

John makes a very good point. I think that you might be able to get by to some degree by using a device like the Brake Buddy in the truck, but you would need to be careful in the setup to prevent any possible dragging of the truck off of the dolly. I think that I'd add a strong chain between the truck front chassis and the dolly just of insurance. Then set up the BB so that it does not come on except in a very hard braking situation and even then at a somewhat reduced pressure application to supply only limited braking on the truck.

I used a BB when towing our CR-V and always kept it set to only apply in a hard brake situation, but did have a lot of brake applied when it did apply. In this case you don't want to put too much extra drag on those straps.

I do think that brakes are very important. Just today we were on I-10 eastbound not far from Indio, CA when we topped a hill to see two cars stopped in the center lane while the drivers assisted a third driver in pushing his care across to the shoulder at about a 45° angle to traffic. There were 5 lanes and three were blocked, and another partially so. I now know that I have my trailer brakes set up pretty well as everything stayed in a straight line while braking hard enough that the tow vehicle ABS was doing its thing. :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With the truck anchored on the dolly straps and you apply the truck brakes with the rear braking on the pavement, you will need to make sure that the dolly tire straps will not shift. It basically is not engineered to be used as you want.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Possibly sell the tow dolly and use the money to get one with brakes? Or add brakes to the existing dolly. Or disconnect driveshaft and tow 4 down. Those are your options as I see it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

"Back to square one then"

I hear that. Again, I had a tow dolly with no brakes but it want difficult or too expensive to buy a set of Dexter Elec Brakes complete with hubs and the entire assembly which mounted with four bolts right onto the dolly where the stub axle protruded. HOWEVER my dolly had that four bolt square flange already in place where the Dexter assembly mounted. I did have another trailer that did NOT have the 4 bolt square flange but I bought a new flange, mounted the hub assembly to get things centered and welded the flange to my trailer outer axle and then I had elec brakes.

Of course you asked for advice and we gave our best opinions but now its up to you.

John T

When I started towing we also purchased a used tow dolly but didn't think about it not having brakes. We made 2 trips from the Midwest to Az. without any problems. Then I learned that as a towed vehicle it should have brakes & many states require brakes. Since that I never felt good towing it any longer. I was always worried about an accident where I would be held responsible due to no brakes on the dolly. So, I sold the dolly & went 4-down with a CRV.(it was time for a different car anyhow & I made sure I got one that could be towed 4-down.) Now we have the Patriot brake system (similar to the Brake Buddy) & tow with peace of mind. If your like me, once you know you're not towing safely, it's just not smart or comfortable. Best to you whatever you decide, Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Adding the brakes is expensive? No one ever said that RVing was cheap. The dolly needs to be set up to meet the laws of the state that you tow through.

Ken

With a dolly you can only have 2 wheel brakes.

4 down you have twice the stopping power.

I like the 4 down option when going down 6% or more hills.

A dolly with no brakes can add another 300 to 500 lb plus the Toad to stop.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ron
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
2008 Honda CRV
Currently Snowbirds - Ft. Myers Beach - Florida Keys

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD