Windows 10 to launch 'this summer' with free upgrades even for pirated copies

RV_

Windows 10 is officially in the home stretch, with Microsoft's top Windows executive committing to a summer launch date and, in a surprise announcement, offering free upgrades on PCs running pirated editions of earlier Windows versions.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft has inched closer to announcing an official release date for Windows 10. The new operating system, which is currently in a public preview release, "will launch in 190 countries and 111 languages around the world this summer," according to the company.

Executive Vice President Terry Meyerson, who runs the Windows division, made the announcement at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.

In a separate interview, Meyerson told Reuters that the company plans to deliver free Windows 10 upgrades to all customers, even those running pirated versions of Windows. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Meyerson told Reuters.

Update, 19-March: Microsoft has issued the following statement in regard to upgrades for "non-genuine" PCs:

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

A launch in summer shouldn't come as a surprise. That schedule would square with the one Meyerson projected at the Windows 10 unveiling in San Francisco last fall, when he told reporters the company was aiming to deliver the completed version of Windows 10 by mid-2015.

The additional detail about free upgrades for "non-genuine" (i.e., pirated) copies of Windows was a surprise. Earlier, Microsoft said that consumer PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 would be entitled to free upgrades to Windows 10 for the first year after the product is released. A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed via email that the plan to allow upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets and is not limited to China."

The whole article with the upgrade paths available for each based on their original OS on a chart is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-launch-this-summer-with-free-upgrades-for-pirated-copies/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

When anyone decides to upgrade to Win 10, be sure to make an Image of your working Windows (whether Win 7 or Win 8 or Win 8.1) in case something goes wrong during the upgrade. I am looking forward to the released version.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying Win 10 Tech Preview already. I believe it is a great upgrade of Win 8.1. If the final release adds even more then Win 7 and Win 8 (both versions) should love the new Win 10.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Mike,

Barred from electronics stores? No way! I order everything online now. My last three big screen TVs all came from Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, as well as all of my computers save the trade for the x2 which w's also from a brixs n mortar, since about 2004. I also buy my memory foam mattresses (buying one on woot for the RV today)

But I promise to give my take on it as I will only wait a few weeks after it débuts to upgrade. Medico is reporting smooth sailing thus far with the preview. But since we have one year to upgrade free, I'll be doing it as soon as it appears stable in the wild.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Mike,

Barred from electronics stores? No way! I order everything online now. My last three big screen TVs all came from Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, as well as all of my computers save the trade for the x2 which w's also from a brixs n mortar, since about 2004. I also buy my memory foam mattresses (buying one on woot for the RV today)

But I promise to give my take on it as I will only wait a few weeks after it débuts to upgrade. Medico is reporting smooth sailing thus far with the preview. But since we have one year to upgrade free, I'll be doing it as soon as it appears stable in the wild.

Are you getting that 8" gel mattress on Woot? I was thinking about ordering one for my RV.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

James, I was but the foam would droop at the end. But I am finding Queen short on Amazon. However they only have a half inch of gel. But they are ten bucks cheaper and free shipping where Woot charges 5 bucks for the first item then free for the rest of the day.

Here is the Amazon ten inch for $289.99: http://www.amazon.com/Infused-Memory-Mattress-Campers-Trailers/dp/B00N4I4LGE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428271663&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+queen+gel+foam+mattress

Here is the eight inch: http://www.amazon.com/Designed-Sleep-Tencel-Infused-Mattress/dp/B00UZ9HV9Y/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1428271984&sr=8-19&keywords=rv+queen+gel+foam+mattress

For $229.00 it might be OK.

My ten inch is the same brand as Woot today. We have been sleeping on it for a year and man is it comfortable. I wish the other was the same brand.

Another consideration is the need to let it lie undisturbed for 72 hours while it re-expands. We had a spare bedroom with a trundle that makes out into a king size we laid ours on last year. But if we were full timing we would have to get a room. We had no issue with the outgassing that others raised hell about. Fortunately we have not moved into the fiver yet so we can order and go lay it out. Remembering the floppiness just moving it from the spare to the master bedroom has changed my mind. For us no big risk, as we are not fulltiming after the one month construction period of the new house. SO I think we are going to order the 8 inch or ten inch one from Amazon unless I can find a better deal with a seller that has more feedbacks..

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

James, I was but the foam would droop at the end. But I am finding Queen short on Amazon. However they only have a half inch of gel. But they are ten bucks cheaper and free shipping where Woot charges 5 bucks for the first item then free for the rest of the day.

Here is the Amazon ten inch for $289.99: http://www.amazon.com/Infused-Memory-Mattress-Campers-Trailers/dp/B00N4I4LGE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428271663&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+queen+gel+foam+mattress

Here is the eight inch: http://www.amazon.com/Designed-Sleep-Tencel-Infused-Mattress/dp/B00UZ9HV9Y/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1428271984&sr=8-19&keywords=rv+queen+gel+foam+mattress

For $229.00 it might be OK.

My ten inch is the same brand as Woot today. We have been sleeping on it for a year and man is it comfortable. I wish the other was the same brand.

Another consideration is the need to let it lie undisturbed for 72 hours while it re-expands. We had a spare bedroom with a trundle that makes out into a king size we laid ours on last year. But if we were full timing we would have to get a room. We had no issue with the outgassing that others raised hell about. Fortunately we have not moved into the fiver yet so we can order and go lay it out. Remembering the floppiness just moving it from the spare to the master bedroom has changed my mind. For us no big risk, as we are not fulltiming after the one month construction period of the new house. SO I think we are going to order the 8 inch or ten inch one from Amazon unless I can find a better deal with a seller that has more feedbacks..

I ordered the one on Woot. My bed is 60X80. I hope it doesn't hang over. I probably should have measured the base. I hope it is comfortable. The mattress in our 5th wheel is killing me.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

We sleep on that same brand at home. A 10" one but they make great quality, and charge half to 75% less. I ordered the short queen from Amazon. We did measure and the base is 60"X75". The Short Queen size is that exact dimensions. A regular queen size is 60X80.

Anything is an improvement over standard RV mattresses. ;) We prefer gel foam over sleep number or others. Different strokes and all that. Good luck with it, you'll love it. These are so heavy I'm going to make a wooden brace to hold ours open when we access the storage underneath. Those memory foam mattresses are heavy.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

What's the brand name on the one at the house? It's time to change out the king at the house. We loved the Queen 11 inch foam we had in the MH but did not right down the brand.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

They debrand them for Woot because their retail chains would get highly pixed if they saw the prices. Here is the page from back then :

http://www.woot.com/offers/luxury-10-gel-memory-foam-mattress-5-sizes

There is no branding on the mattress cover or mattress.

Our mattress for the RV came in today and is in the pickup truck bed. We have rain coming in so will likely wait to bring it out and lay it out to expand. I will follow up with a new thread about it when we finally sleep on it. I am sure it will sleep way better than the mattress we dragged out of there.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 5 months later...

Windows 10 is officially in the home stretch, with Microsoft's top Windows executive committing to a summer launch date and, in a surprise announcement, offering free upgrades on PCs running pirated editions of earlier Windows versions.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft has inched closer to announcing an official release date for Windows 10. The new operating system, which is currently in a public preview release, "will launch in 190 countries and 111 languages around the world this summer," according to the company.

Executive Vice President Terry Meyerson, who runs the Windows division, made the announcement at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.

In a separate interview, Meyerson told Reuters that the company plans to deliver free Windows 10 upgrades to all customers, even those running pirated versions of Windows. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Meyerson told Reuters.

Update, 19-March: Microsoft has issued the following statement in regard to upgrades for "non-genuine" PCs:

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

A launch in summer shouldn't come as a surprise. That schedule would square with the one Meyerson projected at the Windows 10 unveiling in San Francisco last fall, when he told reporters the company was aiming to deliver the completed version of Windows 10 by mid-2015.

The additional detail about free upgrades for "non-genuine" (i.e., pirated) copies of Windows was a surprise. Earlier, Microsoft said that consumer PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 would be entitled to free upgrades to Windows 10 for the first year after the product is released. A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed via email that the plan to allow upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets and is not limited to China."

The whole article with the upgrade paths available for each based on their original OS on a chart is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-launch-this-summer-with-free-upgrades-for-pirated-copies/

The pirated or non genuine Microsoft Win/7 program I had on my old Acer I had updated to Win/10 would not validate a licensed version and only gave me 30 days to buy a full version. So I revertred and voila no OS was left on the machine. I since installed a genuine Win/7 Ultimate OS on it and it has been working well again!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Dennis,

Pierre,

Lots has changed since March when I quoted that article. So did you buy it this time Pierre, as in paid for the MS version of Ultimate? You say you had a known pirated copy of Windows then and now have paid for ultimate? :rolleyes:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

:) Yes but a substantially discounted rate! LOL! just made me wonder where ZDNet publishers had got their information!!! That is why I tried to upgrade it back then.

Now I have a 2005 Acer with Win/7 Ul.; A 2013 Gateway with Linux Mintg Rafaela 17.2 XFCE and I like :wub: Linux but have a lot to learn; and a Dec. 2014 with 8.1 and waiting for Win/10 to get their bugs out before I reload it again! :D

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I have a new house going up so it's pretty hard for me to take the time to play with Windows 10 right now. But as soon as I can I'll play with that one laptop that is not a primary computer.

Our two main desktops are stored until we have our office and her office reset up in the new house and we have our cable modem hooked up in the new house. So I'll wait a little while before I sell the two laptops

We were using her tablet the venue 11 Pro and my tablet the 11.6 ASUS T200. I took the two laptops in trade for my services and refurbished them with 256GB SSDs, max RAM, the works, with the intent to sell them. But I am as bold as their Windows 7 and decided to test one with Windows 10 the newer one and the other one turned out to be useful as the venue 11 Pro would not boot and it has been sent to Dell under warranty. So the one with Windows 7 still on it has been put to use as a laptop for my wife.

I am waiting on my main desktops until about six months from now to upgrade to Windows 10.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived