Wilson Cell Ph repeater/amplifier, anyone have experience?

Al F

Wilson (now re-branded to weBoost) Cell phone/hotspot repeater documentation shows that it should be within 2-3 feet of the phone or hotspot.

Does anyone have experience using the device? Does it really need to be be within 2-3 feet?

weBoost has another device which is intended for home use and you can be within 10'-15' of the repeater. However the outside antenna needs to be mounted 30' away from repeater, which is problematic with a 30' RV.

I am also thinking about going with the cradle repeater, but with it you can only operate the cell phone or hotspot not both at the same time. So if we are on the internet and we want to use the phone, we need to stop the internet.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Yes, you need to be within 2' of the device.

The home unit is not intended for mobile use. While you may get it to work in a larger RV it is going to be problematic for most people. I do not recommend it, and neither does weBoost.

I think a Sleek works well and is what I use. I do use a different external antenna. I typically cradle my phone and use it as a hotspot and run it through the WiFIRanger Go2. I rarely put my Jetpack in the Sleek. But do occasionally. I find the phone to be faster and more reliable as a hotspot than the Jetpack. In fact, I'm wondering why I have a Jetpack these days.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am also thinking about going with the cradle repeater, but with it you can only operate the cell phone or hotspot not both at the same time. So if we are on the internet and we want to use the phone, we need to stop the internet.

Not sure why you can't operate both at the same time. Almost all Android phones can do simultaneous voice and data on 4G/LTE and the iPhone 6 can also. As for being able to talk into the phone, either use it in speakerphone mode or use a Bluetooth headset.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I purchase the Wilson SOHO RV kit in 2012. http://www.wilsonamplifierstore.com/wilson-801245-soho-rv-kit

The kit required a min of 20ft between the antennas.

I install the external antenna on the rear cap of the RV, and the internal antenna near the passenger seat. By doing it this way I achieved about 38 Ft. Even though it is only 3G, it has served us well in our travels.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Jack,

What external antenna do you use with your Sleek?

Tom

Yes, you need to be within 2' of the device.

The home unit is not intended for mobile use. While you may get it to work in a larger RV it is going to be problematic for most people. I do not recommend it, and neither does weBoost.

I think a Sleek works well and is what I use. I do use a different external antenna. I typically cradle my phone and use it as a hotspot and run it through the WiFIRanger Go2. I rarely put my Jetpack in the Sleek. But do occasionally. I find the phone to be faster and more reliable as a hotspot than the Jetpack. In fact, I'm wondering why I have a Jetpack these days.

We actually use the cradle inside our travel trailer and the new WeBoost Drive 4G-M inside our truck. Because we keep our cell phones in mounts on the dash, the logic follows that in the truck we'd want to boost more than one device at a time. Especially while traveling.

When at the camp ground we typically only need to boost the mifi and I suppose if we needed to place a call could put the phone in the cradle.

It's twice the cost true, but it works for us. They're great devices either way. Although I would replace the antenna either come with. It's ok, but not great.

Bold&Adventurous.com | Instagram | Family of 4 traveling the USA full-time.

2007 27ft FB International Signature CCD

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

We have all the options on board, and test them out regularly in multiple situations. Right now, the Mobile 4G is our default booster. It handles multiple devices well, and while you do need to have your devices close by the interior antenna (our testing shows the ideal range to be from 6" all the way up to 6' - depending on the signal being boosted), the interior antenna is on a pretty long wire and can be moved about.

The Sleek/cradle is a fine choice too.. but is intended to only boost one device at a time, and isn't nearly as strong.

Currently, both our setups just use the included mag mount stubby antenna that came with the kits.

Here's our comparison guide to all of the 4G boosters currently out on the market:

Comparison: Mobile 4G Cellular Boosters (weBoost Drive, MAX-AMP vs SureCall)

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I've used various antennas, including some models of the trucker. But typically I use a larger mag mount.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I just installed the Wilson 460101 DT 4 G last week in my MH.

It is the home version. I attached the square antenna to my Batwing and used a spare cable from the roof that was not needed anymore since I switched my Trav'ler to a SWM.

Ordered the home version because it came with a AC hook up.

10' away from the inside antenna my iPhone went from a -106 to a -92

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have a Wilson Mobile Pro unit. I've found that it can measurably improve a weak signal (but not magically make a signal appear out of thin air). I figure it is the benefit of the external antenna (external to the phone and to the faraday cage that is my truck).

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Use the Wilson Sleek with my Jet{ack in the cradle.Works great for the laptops and wireless printer. Also have the Wilson cell booster for the times we need a btter signal. It is hooked to my batwing at the front of the 5ver and interior antenna is in the back of the 5ver on a shelf.

87ecf2fa36fc1b1.jpg

Archived