Final Questions-Getting Ready to to go Dealer

SWharton

We are going to a dealer on Monday to get a price for a Winnebago 36Y.

A few more questions:

1) Are side view cameras worth it?

2) Are AC+heat pump worth it(we had a heat pump in a house and hated it). The ACs that come with the rig have Chill Guard(whatever that is)

The forum has been very helpful in our potential move to a MH from a 5th wheel.

Thanks

Obviously just my opinion:

1) Yes

2) Yes

The cameras give you more awareness of what is around you. The heat pump allows you to stay warm using electricity that you are probably already paying for regardless of usage and thus saving your propane. Heat pumps have limitations but should be useful at least down to 40 degree temperatures.

My opinion is

1. No, We have side cameras and never use them. Learn to use your mirrors much safer, IMO.

2. Yes/NO, heat pumps are good down to some where around 40 degrees depending upon the humidity, Then they are useless, I would prefer to have heat strips.

I was thinking Winnebago puts their heating/cooling in a bay, so my comment on #2 may not apply.

1. NO I never have had the side ones. And very seldom use the rear one. As I pull a toad with me and never need to back up. The mirrors give me much more precepion of distance then the camera.

2. YES A heat pump can put out 15,000 BTU of heat. A strip heater puts out 5,600 BTU of heat(same as any small electric space heater).

Heat pump 100% use of energy is much cheaper to use then your propane furnace at 60-70%. And 100% cheaper if electric is included with your camp site. ;)

3. If you are camping where it gets below the temps of a heat pump use. Then it is time to move farther south. :)

And my heat pump has still put out some heat below 40º I never have had a chance to test it below 36º yet. And not planning on finding out. :D

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

1. My mother-in-law got a new Winnebago Sightseer motorhome with side cameras last year and loves them.

2. We use our heat pumps all the time. Ours work to around 30 degrees, then they turn on the furnace.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I don't like the noise from the AC or a heat pump, it is really tiring for me. A heat pump is pretty much just an AC running backwards so the noise is the same. I wouldn't say to pass on getting a heat pump unit instead of an AC only unit if the price is close because it can save you money if you are paying for your power.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Never had side view cameras so I can't comment on them. We use the heat pump a lot when the temp is above 40. Noise hasn't been a problem. We seldom ever use the furnace as we try to stay where it is warm.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

1. I dont have the side cameras but the idea of taking my eyes off the road to check a monitor in traffic kinda scares me.

2. Yes I would go with the heat pump especially on a Winnibego as I believe the bay mounted units are much quieter than the roof units.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived