Bucket List Project: Please Critique

SuiteSuccess

After following several projects for putting seats in trucks for passengers, I think I have come up with a solution for mine. I want to run it through the grinder for suggestions and critique. First the basic premises: 1. Seating would not be permanent since grandkids go with us only three to four times per year. (I know someone will say then why do it at all. Answer, they want to ride in the big truck and I just like projects). 2. These will be fairly lengthy trips so need to be comfortable. 3. Need to convert back to workstation configuration fairly easily.

I looked closely at my truck today and it seems the workstation table can be removed by removing four starbolts from the two brackets. This would free up the center space for two seats for older kids or an adult to have legroom. The Volvo has a narrow "pass through" connecting the drivers and passengers storage compartments. I would run a length of "L Track" at the back of the sleeper connecting it with a length of plate or large washers to distribute load at the top of this passage. I also plan on running either heavy strapping or cable to eye bolts at the bottom of this passage and these bolts would run through the bottom of the cab through a second set of washers or plate to give reinforcement. The seat belts would then be connected to the L Track when needed like bmzero did. My cushions would be custom made by DW since she can sew and I can order cushion and bolster foam online. The seats would be kind of like futon cushions. Any flaws in my plans?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Are they seated facing forward or to the side? I would never seat kids sideways.....

(not sure how this got on the wrong thread...but I fixed it)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Lol, replied on the other thread. Will be sitting forward. Booster seats with backs and harnesses by windows. Two sets of lap belts in center. Guess major concern is the strength of my connections. L Track with this connector should handle 6,000 lb load but want to make sure my anchors are sufficient. This is precious cargo.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/L-Track-Stud-Fittings-Accessories/Double-Stud-Fitting

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, you have a width of 30 inches in the leg well area where the dinette table would be removed. If the grands can sit that close together for a few hours, it sounds like a workable plan. The seat base forward of the 8 inch ledge would need to be strong enough to support the weight of the grands in an emergency stop, since much of their inertia would be converted to a downward force on the front part of the seat base. The seatbelt attachments seem reasonable to me. I'm sure that the kids would be happy to get to ride in the big red truck and I'm sure you and grandma will keep them as safe as you possibly can. Have you decide what kind of video system you will install for them....I know you're gonna have to do that, too......... Looking forward to the ECR. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Hmmm, I just re-read this thread and saw where I missed that the seats would be next to the windows and not over the footwell where the table is. The little boogers, er, Angels, should be happier by the windows and with more seperation than I had envisioned......and the "little boogers" was not meant to be derogatory.....just a term of endearment. You will still have to put in a video system, though. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

GoldRush,

That was exactly my original idea and had posted a thread on that last year. My best friend is a corporate pilot and we had actually tried to find some salvaged airplane seats. Turns out I need to carry three minimum of my GKs so the idea though good wasn't satisfactory. Thanks for the help.

Charlie,

The seats next to the windows would be for the younger kids so those would be booster seats with backs (removable). The center seats where the table would be removed, would be for the older kids or one adult so your original thinking was correct. All could be easily reversed to the sleepers original configuration. Will show you more of my thinking at the ECR. Think this is gonna work.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Charlie,

This will be the "window"seats. The smaller kids really don't need to have their legs at a 90 degree angle thus I can leave my driver's side and passenger side storages intact. The seat and back cushions we build will span the width of the sleeper and raise it even higher. Like I said the middle span will be an adult or older kids where their legs can hang down.

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-1922268/graco-argos-65-3-in-1-car-seat.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=98398590&CID=shopping15&gclid=CKm-mY7pnsQCFYVAaQodEKQAgA&dclid=CLffzI7pnsQCFUitaQod36gApg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Better hurry along on these projects. It seems like we have about a 45 minute window from the time where they want to come along until they're old enough to not want to be seen with the olde pholks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Better hurry along on these projects. It seems like we have about a 45 minute window from the time where they want to come along until they're old enough to not want to be seen with the olde pholks.

They may outgrow wanting to be seen with the old folks. But they never outgrow wanting to ride in the big truck.

Truck dealers usually have the fixed cheapie passenger seats(take outs) kicking around for next to nothing. Might work with some minor mods, and have seat belt mounts on them. Call around.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Rick,

You got that right.

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived