Smart Winch Pulley

kfrimr

Those of you have have built a smart bed and pull your Smart up with a winch. Where did you get the pulley wheels for your winch Pulley rack? And what size Pulley did you get. Would you change that to a different or better size?

I appreiate your Ideas and helpfulness

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Pulley is 6" in diameter. Body builder obtained it when they built the deck (and removable arm) so I do not know the source.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Mine is 6" also. Got it at Tractor Supply. Here is a pic. Also here is a link for another source.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rope-pulleys/=w7oayn

Kent gonna add consider using synthetic winch rope such as Amsteel Blue or Warn in size appropriate for your needs. Does not "whiplash" like cable if it breaks and can easily handle the loads.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here is a source: http://www.gunnebojohnson.com/johnson-block-products/wire-rope-sheavespulleys/bronze-bushed-sheaves/

The bigger diameter of the pulley the better. It is also important that the pulley groove diameter is equivalent to the diameter of the cable.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I used a 6" pulley and seems to be fine. If you upgrade to the Synthetic rope (great idea) be sure to get the solid allum fairlead to go with it and scrap the roller type. It works great. I had a steel rope and large stock roller fairlead before, and it was always rolling up badly. Getting bunched up and popping. Eventually the rope started to fray after a few years. After I switched out for the Syn rope and allum fairlead, it rolls up perfect every time. No bunching at all. Lighter and easier to handle too.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Hay thanks, not only for the dimensions for also for the appropriate counsel. Bill, as luck would have it my winch did come with the allum feirlead I didn't know that was important but it happened. I did get Synthetic rope. Carl, I'll check tractor supply. Thanks for the tip. Also thanks for the websites good information.

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Archived