Tengointernet

We use it when the only alternative, but I'm not fan of Tengo. Since we left the fulltime life we have DSL at home and generally depend upon Wif where available while traveling so sometimes there is on other option.

We will be at Dream Catcher tonight if there is an opening. Are any of the other signals accessible to you?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We were at Dream Catcher 2-11-2015, and our Hughes was out of order. We was told we could use Tengo for a modest fee, but someone in the part told me not to bother. Left the next day and went to Rovers Roost, and used their WiFi, and it worked OK. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Since we left the fulltime life we have DSL at home and generally depend upon Wif where available while traveling so sometimes there is on other option.

If you have DSL through Verizon, you can use their Wifi network. They use to let their wireless internet users access it, but as far as I know not any more. We used it a lot on the road in the past. Many of the hotspots were at campgrounds with Tengo services. The advantage to connecting through Verizon was that the throttling was not as severe and even if the campground charged for the Tengo service, access through Verizon was free. If you have high speed internet through Comcast, they also have a free Wifi hotspot system. However, it is primarily located in population centers at this time.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I'm not a fan of Tengo but they also often get a bum rap for things over which they have little or no control. Tengo designs and installs wifi systems at RV parks but they can't force park owners to obtain adequate "backhaul" capability. In some places adequate internet bandwidth is simply not available and, even where it is, Tengo can't force owners to pay for it. I've encountered park owners who have the attitude "I've already spent more money than I wanted to on wifi" and fail to understand that the capital cost outlay may have been a waste if the necessary bandwidth isn't provided. If the wifi is slow customers take their wrath out on Tengo because its name is on the splash screen, but that doesn't mean they control the situation.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Back in the "old days" the Tengo equipment was not very good, and it was not well managed.In my opinion. But the Tengo stuff that is out there now is very good. Like Joel says, the biggest issue is availability of backhaul.

More than half of the Tengo sites I've tested in the last 2 years have been very good. The others - not so hot when tested. All of them were "usable" for non streaming activity.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A bit off topic, but we had an interesting experience here at Desert Trails this winter which may explain some of the problems with RV park WiFi in general. The WiFi here has always been fair, but extremely slow at times. The park owner has tried to improve it constantly, new access points, additional lines, etc.

Without going into a lot of detail - which I do not completely understand - there was a problem with the provider involving viruses and illegal movie downloading. As a result the provider was threatening to close the account completely. They reached an agreement whereby the park would register all of the devices allowed on the system. They decided to limit it to 2 devices per site.

This is a serious PIA for the park management, and a lot of work at first. HOWEVER, we now have the strongest and fastest WiFi signal we have had here in 6 winters!

They found some people with as many a 9 devices hooked up to the WiFi - some ALL OF THE TIME! If you think about it there are smart phones, e-readers, routers, laptops, etc. All of this was apparently bogging down the system. Can't hook up our iPhones or Kindles, but for our lap tops the WiFi is great. We have no problem with that trade off.

Desert Trails now guarantees WiFi access at all sites. If you cannot connect they will provide a free signal booster and a tech expert to get you hooked up.

Just shows there is a lot going on below the surface that is not obvious.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

If we see an RV park has tengo we will usually give the park a miss and head on down the road. Hate Tengo.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I am happy to hear Jack's report that some of the Tengo Net system has been improved from the old days. However I have never had a good experience with Tengo Net. Even when offered at no cost at a park I will not use it. I certainly would never pay for it. We carry our MiFi from Verizon and have access just about anywhere we travel. Good luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Worked in a park in OR which is a larger park with about 500 sites. WiFi has been a big issue since it was installed in the early 90's. One vendor after another was tried and all was undependable and very frustrating. Finally, no one wanted to even bid on the job to FIX the system once and for all. Tengo was the only one that would attempt the job. $38K, 28 pieces of equipment and 14 antennas later and now the system is rock solid anywhere in the park. 6-8 meg download when the park is loaded. I hated Tengo in the past......but I hafta admit they got our park rockin'!!! The system is set up to throttle the streamers, etc. You get so much data that you can use in a 24 hr. period (they give you your limits and status on the login screen) . When you reach that number it throttles back to dial up speed. There is no additional fee of use of the WiFi. How refreshing! rockin'

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Rockin, that is my experience on the newer Tengo installs. They put in state of the art equipment and if there is enough backhaul it "rocks". But that is the key - enough backhaul. I measured over 20 mbps on one install.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived