Water will not flow into the RV

SandeeAR

Water will not flow into the RV. We have check water bib, hose is not frozen (just filled tank with the hose). Took apart fitting entering RV, no blockage. Pump is off. We are baffled. Any ideas? Of course it's Saturday night and RV repair closed until Monday. 25' Tioga Ranger. Btw it had frozen at the faucet 2 days earlier, so water flow for 2 days. All is thawed now and faucet repaired.

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

Do you have a water pressure regulator on the hose? If so, I have had one basically vapor lock on me and not let water pass through it. Remove that and see if it fixes your problem.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sandee,

You say you took apart the fitting on the side of the RV and found no blockage. There is usually a check valve built into that fitting. It allows water to go in but not come out. It may be that the check valve is stuck or has otherwise failed somehow. Occasionally the check valve is located farther down the line, but that's kind of unusual.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Sandee,

You say you took apart the fitting on the side of the RV and found no blockage. There is usually a check valve built into that fitting. It allows water to go in but not come out. It may be that the check valve is stuck or has otherwise failed somehow. Occasionally the check valve is located farther down the line, but that's kind of unusual.

. My SIL took it apart. That is all we can figure is it has failed. He could push it with his finger and make it work. At the time I posted I didn't know it was called a check value.

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

If you have water in your tank and everything works when the pump is turned on, the check valve is likely the problem.

You mentioned a frozen hose. Is there any chance your water line inside the RV near the fill valve has frozen? How cold is it where you are, and how well insulated is that area?

On Edit: Normally the check valves fail by letting water leak back out. To have one fail by preventing water from flowing is is less common, but not unheard of.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

My thoughts are much like Rif. Are we correct in assuming that you have observed water from the RV end of the hose with it disconnected from the RV and the hydrant turned on? If so that pretty well eliminates any problem outside of the RV. I really see no choice than the entry fitting as the problem unless there happens to be a screen on the hose washer that is plugged, but I'd have thought that would have been noticed when checking the hose connection.

Like Rif, I have seen many of those check valves at the fresh water fitting fail by allowing water to leak back out when no hose is connected and the water pump is in use, but none that failed closed and blocked water entry from the hose. Even so, that is possible but before you call an RV tech there is one more thing that I would verify. Are you absolutely certain that there is not a frozen spot in the water supply line into your RV, between the fitting that you checked and the fresh water system? In most cases there is a foot or two of water line between the fitting and any insulated/heated areas and that line can freeze and block any water entry. I would apply some heat there with a blow-dryer on low setting to make sure that line is not frozen.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yeah, I've seen that stinkin' little check valve fail and prevent water flow in. I've also had them leak out a half tank of fresh water overnight.

I took the check valve out completely and replaced it with a simple hardware store shut-off valve. Has worked fine for years. Only drawback is I have to go out and turn off the valve if I want to switch from park water to the pump, no big deal.

At the same time I put a pressure gauge and a quick disconnect outside of the valve so I can hook up easily and look at water pressure before I open the valve.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Thanks for the help all. SIL took the check valve out last night and put it back. During the night he kept thinking it didn't look right when he took it out. He took it out again and the spring was in wrong. Fixed that and it works fine!

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

Archived