Satellite TV

SuiteSuccess

Need recommendations for portable satellite TV system that will support two TVs. We will be using Dish TV. Will not be permanently mounting and may use in truck if stopped overnight.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite,

If I were going to a portable system I would be looking at these two. I like that you don't have to power this dish separately just through the coax cable. I mounted my in-motion dome on the truck and have a couple of A/B switches in the truck so that I can run cables to the trailer and use the dome if the trailer dish is blocked by tree's.

Thanks Rick. Just to be sure I understand the systems. My trailer has a TV in the living area and in the bedroom. It looks like the pathway X1 would service both of these TVs with just one receiver. I do have a Winegard switch box in the living area. Am I correct? What would be a situation where the X2 would be better?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Both support 2 x Solo receivers but the X2 does the eastern arc as well. That looks like the main difference. Most of the info is here in the FAQ. I couldn't use these in Canada that's why my dome dish is a little bit different so I can switch between Bell Canada and Dish depending where I'm travelling.

You might find this list useful: http://jameslong.name/ -- it's a list showing you what satellites you can find in different parts of the country, and which channels are on them. Since both of those systems can only point to one at a time, you'll want to make sure that you're likely to get the channels you want to at the same time. It's interesting that the X1 is only set up to do the 110,119,129 combo--it wouldn't need any extra hardware to find the others. Also don't forget that signal strength goes up as the dish gets bigger.

I've not looked at prices in quite a while, but you might also check into the in-motion systems from either Cobham or WInegard. Mine is a single coax to connect, and ~24" around and ~12" tall, so it could still be somewhat portable if you wanted.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

My trailer has a TV in the living area and in the bedroom.

Keep in mind that since a dome *sees* only one satellite at a time, you will not be able to watch a program on the living room TV and a different program on the bedroom TV unless both of those programs are on the same satellite. If you have a DVR, you will also not be able to watch one program and record another unless both of those programs are on the same satellite.

If you do any traveling in the Eastern U.S., I would recommend the Winegard Pathway X2 since it's capable of finding both the Eastern Arc satellites and the Western Arc satellites. It's also capable of being hooked up to two receivers (with the limitation mentioned above).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks Linda. Figured that out. We are leaning towards the Pathway X2.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Ok what is the difference between the Pathway X2 vs. the Winegard G2 carry out? Specs seem to be the same. On edit found it does not pick up as many satellites, only certain ones for each service, so X2 seems to be the better buy.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Ok what is the difference between the Pathway X2 vs. the Winegard G2 carry out? Specs seem to be the same. On edit found it does not pick up as many satellites, only certain ones for each service, so X2 seems to be the better buy.

The Pathway X2 is a Dish-only dome. The G2 works with Dish, DirecTV and Bell. Also, the G2 is not capable of receiving Dish's Eastern Arc satellites.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Suite,

The G2 will do DTV(SD), Dish, Bell Canada. It's also like my dome has to be powered separately. The X1,X2 are powered through 1 coax cable. It's funny they didn't program the EA of DN. The main reason I went with the dome I bought is it gave future options. Here is the spec of the Durasat on the truck.

Durasat%2520Sats.jpg

Archived