Desert tortoise

Jimalberta

We've been very fortunate this year and have had 3 sightings of desert tortoises in the last week. I feel very lucky when I get to see these guys. They are quite rare and its a privilage to observe them.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I got a pic with my Ipad but dont ask me how to post a pic from my Ipad.

To post a picture on the forums, the picture needs to be on the internet somewhere already. There are many free hosts that you can use to store pictures online or they could be most anywhere that you can link to. You then insert a link to that picture in the image window that will open from the icon in the editing bar. DesertTortoiseSonoranDesert.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is one that hangs out right by where we are boondocking.....we've seen him/ her twice now. Last night he came strolling right past our MH....20 ft away...lol as were sitting under our awning enjoying the peace and quiet and a cold one. The other ne was taking a stroll down an atv trail and we came upon him as we were riding. That one I gently moved off the trail, didnt want him run over. Both of them are the same size...about 12 inches .

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Be cautious about the protected species rules, in some areas moving one off the road can result in a lot of grief, in others you can take one home as a pet.

Nevada rules: http://www.tortoisegroup.org/infosheets/infosheet29.php

You could check CA rules too but if I recall they were stricter than NV that came up first in Google today.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I know what you mean Stanley....sort of like being the first one at an accident and seeing someone bleeding to death. You dont dare try to help because if the person dies its your fault.

And if he dies because you didnt help its still your fault.

Pretty darn cool! Seeing how they spend something like 95% of their lives under ground that's darn right charmed!

Thank for the pic there, Kirk.. now I've got prickly pear jelly on the brain. :lol:

The picture is not mine, but I have seen one several years ago. What I do have that also lives mostly underground and is rarely seen is a Gila monster. And that picture is mine.

gilla_monster.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The picture is not mine, but I have seen one several years ago. What I do have that also lives mostly underground and is rarely seen is a Gila monster. And that picture is mine.

Very cool! I've only seen one in real life when I was a kid out around Casa Grande. That's a pretty good sized little fella there. Thanks for sharing!

Be cautious about the protected species rules, in some areas moving one off the road can result in a lot of grief

Very true. I know with desert tortoise, they release urine (their lifes blood) if they feel threatened. If you HAVE to move or touch one and it pee's, you are supposed to provide water for it to replenish itself.

Hmmm....didnt see that on the label. Lol but he didnt pee so we are good. I had read up about them and the article which if its on the internet must have been written by an expert...........did say that if you see one on a road or trail to gently move it to the side...so I did.

Would like to see a Gila monster...very nice Kirk. Apparently there are sidwinders in this area...would like to observe one of those.

Jim et al,

There are only two issues with posting. For direct posts you can resize the image to less than the maximum 100kb size allowed to be uploaded here. This is for Windows only, but the same applies with other OS' but I do not know their resizing programs.

Or you can use one of many online free websites to store your pics. I use Photobucket and they will sell copies of your pics there. The first thing you need is a resizer always on your computer.

I use image resizer instead of doing it online every time. See it installs on your right click menu when you right click a picture. You can see the drop down menu where you can download it free here: https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

This next one is going to be a big 2mb picture I am going to resize to much smaller with one right click, select resize image, and then I'll select mobile size which is the smallest. You have to click on the little pic to see it larger.

That's me firing the Mk19 automatic Grenade launcher in full "Battle Rattle" and flak vest from the top of a Humvee in 1995, on a heavy weapons Dutch firing range in the Nederlands. I taught the MK19 and took our cops out to that range. Like all weapons I taught I had to fire both qualification rounds and qualify, and as an instructor had to fire so I had to fire X number of personal proficiency rounds so we could demo the skills ourselves that we taught. For example 3000 rounds of 5.56mm on the M-16 annually then. They changed from year to year and that is the only only weapon I remember the number in addition to qualification firing we had to shoot. The instructors were my guys in the picture. We had to qualify each other whenever we were due and going to that range, which was a two overnight trip. We also qualified on the Barrett M107 .50 cal, Remington 870 12ga., M-16, M-203 40 mm grenade launcher, Colt .45 80mm mortar, S.A.W. 5.56mm, M-60 7.62mm, M-9 9mm pistol, "Ma Deuce" M2 .50 cal heavy, and various other locale specific weapons. Did I mention I made a career out of making loud noises and blowing things up? ;)

To post that pic, I went to the bottom of "Reply To This Topic" and clicked on "More reply options." Once there I wrote this post, and where I wanted to insert that pic, I stopped. At the bottom I selected "Choose File," then using Windows file explorer navigated to the picture I want to upload that I had reduced to, in this case, 32kb. It shows in the little space above "Attach Files."

But to get it into the post you have to click on "Add to Post" on the right of the Attach files section and it puts the picture wherever you have your cursor in the post.

That is one way. The other is to use Photobucket or another free picture hosting service. I should switch but I already had the Photobucket account. You can make some folders public so anyone can view them, or private so only I or you for your account can open them. That makes it handy to access when on the road on your phone. MY account has used only 3% of my free allotment because I reduced all the pictures with Image Resizer before uploading them. Average size using "Small" default in Image Resizer yields from 125-175kb. Using the mobile setting yields from 15-75kb file sizes like the above. I use Small which gives me a good all around usable picture online or off. I am not interested in learning GIMP or Photoshop. I take several and delete the bad ones in my pic folder on my computer.

Here is one showing where I am sitting now, hosted at Photobucket:

P5040030Small_zpsab2835a2.jpg

Note that it shows full size without having to click on it. However if you do click on it it brings you to my Photobucket page so it helps to know what you want online to be seen, and which folders you want to keep private.

I keep all my full size pics, and the reduced pics in separate folders, so all my pics get reduced as it only takes a few seconds to reduce even ten at a time. Now it can take a long time to batch reduce a hundred pictures at once but it will do it. I take less than 20 at a time so it is easy to do when I download to the computer from my tablets, camera, or phones.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived