Buying a new or used RV in Canada....and moving it south

Vladimir

I do know there is a process for titling it in US. A friend bought an RV from a Canadian couple. It was a little complicated and he ended up hiring a company to get the process done. Don't know enough other details to share

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

There was a blog for BigFoot Trailer owners. BigFoot trailers are made in Canada. In order to bring into US they needed a letter from the MFGR that the trailer met US standards. Bigfoot was sold to a new company - New company refused to certify any trailers built by previous company. Bottom line - they resold the trailer in Canada.

Check carefully before you buy a foreign rig.

I would stay away from units mfg in Canada ( Bigfoot, Triple E ??? ).

Why do you say this? I have seen both and they are excellent products and match very well against the competitive products made in the USA. Canadian standards for most things are more strict than the US standard.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I seem to remember that the fee our friends paid for a MH was a few hundred.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Why do you say this? I have seen both and they are excellent products and match very well against the competitive products made in the USA. Canadian standards for most things are more strict than the US standard.

The Mfgr has to certify that the trailer meets US Standards. If no Mfgr (i.e. out of business) No Certification - So No way to title in US!

Kirk, on 04 Feb 2015 - 5:39 PM, said:

Kirk..not a comment on the quality of the units at all. Some Canadian standards are more stringent ( ie wiring gauges, plumbing specs )

My comment was aimed at the problems you will have if the unit does not have US Certifications / Paperwork.

As an aside, keep in mind that if it is a US built unit, exported to Canada in the last 8 years, the original Canadian buyer would have had to pay anywhere between 5% and 20% premium for the exchange difference, which should be reflected in the resale asking price. Current exchange rate $ 1.00 US = $ 1.25 Canadian.

My comment was aimed at the problems you will have if the unit does not have US Certifications / Paperwork.

I wonder if either of those have the needed certification?

If the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. vehicle safety standards, and is being imported for personal use, a CBP bond usually is not required.

If they do, it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem. And there is no doubt a similar need for US built going into Canada. As I look at the manufacturer's websites, I do find both Tripple E RV dealers and also dealers for Big Foot RV in the USA so they must have the needed certification, but it sure would be a good idea to check before you buy one.

Interesting discussion and one that I'd not thought of previously. I suspect that there may be forum members who have purchased an RV in the USA and then imported it to Canada, but it is likely less common to go the other way.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Be forewarned - get the certification BEFORE you make the purchase. LINK

"There are no doubt many others like me who would like to get a Bigfoot, or another brand of trailer physically located in Canada. By now, you are thinking that, if there is no US DOT sticker, all you need to get is a manufacturer's letter.... NO PROBLEM! Unfortunately, the manufacturer Bigfoot recently went through a bankruptcy. I have heard from one Canadian Bigfoot owner that the newly reorganized company will not provide any letters on pre-bankruptcy trailers manufactured by the now defunct company. :( "

Thanks DufMan for posting the link and your comments. IF your thinking about buying a RV in Canada the link is worth reading.

Here are a couple of comments I received from a manufactuer in Canada on this issue:

No we don’t put US DOT decals on canadian sold units unless the dealer orders it with the US package which they only do when they factory order a retail sold unit that is going to the US. I hope that helps.h

You have to buy new and order with the US Package as decals can’t be applied to used campers

Well, if I were a Canadian and buying an RV up there, I would order the US package and insist on the sticker just for the resale value.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived