Black tank

3_nomads

For the last 8 years we were on the road fulltime, we used generous amounts of water and never emptied the black tank without it at least 1/2 full. I also used our tank flush system about ever second or third dump.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

More water, at least with your initial few flushes into an empty tank. Maybe even just a pre-use starter flush of a couple bowls full of water so stuff doesn't clump under the inlet.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Do you just dump your black tank or flush it? I highly recommend a clear attachment at the end of your pipe. When you think the tank is empty, have someone dump a 5 gal bucket of water down the toilet while you're watching outside. You'll still see a lot of solids coming out. If you have a tank flush system, use it. If not, run a hose to your toilet and flush that way. It's amazing how much stuff doesn't get carried out when you first open the valve.

I never dump the black tank till it's 2/3 or better. I use the onboard flush system and run it for 15 mins while the tank is draining. I use the Flush King about every third time I empty the tank. Even immediately after I use the flush, I still have a problem! Unless I use that wand.

Best, I think, is still a few (3 or 4) bags of ice cubes dumped into the tank, then a road trip to "slosh" it all around. You will want to add the cubes about the time you are all hooked up and ready to drive though. Don't let them melt too much before you drive. Then dump and rinse. You could add a big squirt of dish detergent when adding the cubes. This will help too with any odours.

Rick & JoAnn MacDonald
High River, Alberta Canada

2015 Ford Lariat F450
2012 Montana 3402RL

What Stan said...... Plus more water. Then a little more water. :D Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Lots of water is a lot easier than removing a pyramid. After each flush I fill my bowl back up to the same level as the flush and flush again. Double the water with each flush. Works for me.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Anyone ever try Calgon?

Calgon is a water softener product that works by changing minerals in water to a solid which then settles out on the bottom of the container holding the water. That is what the manufacturer states that it does. I don't want solids to precipitate out in my waste tanks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I have use Calgon for a number of years along with laundry detergent and it has worked very well for me.

The water softener is supposed to keep the tank slick so that nothing sticks to the sides and the detergent to keep it clean.

After each dump of the black tank I mix two cups of Calgon and one cup of power laundry detergent in a bucket of water, about three gallons,

and flush it down. Good Luck

Archived