Better Internet Single ?

The more I read about all the options the more I get confused,. Maybe someone can help me with some simple, plan talk!

I would like to have something on the order of a "Router" in my motor home. That can be located to best pick up random internet signals, and them be wireless to my mutable computers in the motor home. Can a simple Wal-mart router be used in this way? I have read about all the options with yifi ranger, but think it is too expensive for my taste, and maybe too complicated.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I do not believe a normal router can tie to a WiFi signal wirelessly. In a normal router you connect to whatever internet provider you have available using, normally, an Ethernet cable. You can then connect wirelessly to the router with your various devices.

The routers, such as WiFi Ranger devices, do connect to the WiFi (for example in a park or Wal Mart, etc) wirelessly, then allow you to connect your devices wirelessly. And yes, anything made for RVs seem to be more expensive than their SB alternatives because they do need the ability to connect to the "random internet signals" wirelessly.

Perhaps others will have some further possibilities, but in my experience setting up to wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal is more expensive.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Thanks

I would consider the yifi ranger but as in so many products there are so many options.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

You are looking for a router that has "Wifi as WAN" feature. This is not found in cheap routers. WiFiRanger and SurfWave SOHO are two such routers.

WiFi as WAN received from a WiFi source and rebroadcasts.

The WiFi Ranger has a router like this. They also have additional equipment that extends the range of the WiFi they are receiving.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

There are several WiFi Ranger products that work. For example the WiFi Ranger Mobile is a router that mounts outside your coach on a metal surface on the roof. You have to route a cable from the WiFi Ranger Mobile to the inside (this carries the power to the Mobile). This is a router that allows wireless connections, but does not have the ability to tether to it easily. There is also a WiFi Ranger (one example is the WiFi Ranger Go2) router that looks similar to a standard router and sits inside your RV. It has Ethernet ports similarly to a standard router. The Go2 will not have the range of the Mobile. These 2 devices can also be paired so that the Mobile is controlled through the Go2 to allow the interior Ethernet ports of the Go2 and the added range of the Mobile. This is just one example. These devices work pretty well, but are dependent on the strength and speed of the WiFi signal they connect to. As more RVs are connected the bandwidth has to be shared with more RVs.

Both these devices connect wirelessly to the available WiFi signal (As Mark mentions WiFi as Wan), assuming you have the key, but again are dependent on that WiFi signal to connect to the internet.

The other route, as you are probably aware, are the MiFi units that use cellular networks to provide WiFi to just the devices you choose to allow to connect. These can get quite expensive with the monthly data costs.

You can check out this option. Based on info from that site as well as from other forums, I purchased off ebay a lightly used Linksys router that had been reflashed with the DD-WRT open-source software. On one of the forums I found a useful how-to article on how to set it up, and I now have a router that will autoconnect to any available, unsecured wifi network, and provide a secure network within my RV (or as secure as wifi networks can be). There is apparently a further step that can be taken so that the router, rather than just connecting to the 1st unsecured wifi network it finds, will connect to the strongest available, and even switch connections when appropriate, but I've not tried that yet.

FYI; I am modestly tech-savvy

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Eric

rig4.jpg

Is this a good option ? http://www.exede-sales.com/

or is this slow speeds??

It is not a mobile option. This is spot beamed satellite internet, so it needs to be at a fixed location.

The Straighttalk mobile hotspot from Wal-Mart might be enough for you, It works like a wireless router. They have a ZTE one that works on Verizon 4G.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

You can check out this option. Based on info from that site as well as from other forums, I purchased off ebay a lightly used Linksys router that had been reflashed with the DD-WRT open-source software. On one of the forums I found a useful how-to article on how to set it up, and I now have a router that will autoconnect to any available, unsecured wifi network, and provide a secure network within my RV (or as secure as wifi networks can be). There is apparently a further step that can be taken so that the router, rather than just connecting to the 1st unsecured wifi network it finds, will connect to the strongest available, and even switch connections when appropriate, but I've not tried that yet.

FYI; I am modestly tech-savvy

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Eric

This sounds like exactly what I want is the link were I find hot to modify the router?? Would your modestly tech skills be available to set me up such a router?

This sounds like exactly what I want is the link were I find hot to modify the router?? Would your modestly tech skills be available to set me up such a router?

You'd likely be better off talking to someone who does this stuff regularly. Here's a link to such a re-flashed router on ebay. This is the person I bought mine from (ULTIMATEPOWER), and he (or she, not certain), was very willing to offer helpful advice via email exchange. I fiddled with mine after I got it because I wanted to make some specific changes (and that's my nature ;-), but I believe the device arrives ready for service. You could ask that question of the seller---I had a good experience with ULTIMATEPOWER (I am in no way affiliated with that seller).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121295795858?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope it works out well for you@!

rig4.jpg

My neighbor has the Exede system, and it works well, while they are at their lot here, but when traveling, as mentioned above, this satellite system stays at the original location. It is NOT mobile. He uses his for his work and requires a lot of data. This works great for him. He gets between 8 and 12 mbps download speeds. However, as stated this is not mobile. It seems a great alternative if you own a site that you regularly return to, but not so good if you rent and move around.

Is this a good option ? http://www.exede-sales.com/

or is this slow speeds??

Most of us use a router that can accept a USB modem. Verizon has had the best coverage for several years but AT&T claims to be gaining ground. Cradlepoint is the router I use.

Many people now use a MIFI from someone like Verizon. It is a USB modem and router combined and will handle a number of devices.

I considered one but could see no way to configure it to allow me to set up a local network with my two laptops. I spent a day trying and three Verizon techs told me it couldn't be done so I gave up.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

...Many people now use a MIFI from someone like Verizon. It is a USB modem and router combined and will handle a number of devices...I considered one but could see no way to configure it to allow me to set up a local network with my two laptops. I spent a day trying and three Verizon techs told me it couldn't be done so I gave up.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but I have a Pantech Mifi that was with Millenicom, now Verizon. I can transfer files between our two computers when they are connected to it. I don't have a wireless printer so not sure if one would work with the Mifi or not. The Pantech will tether to my Wifi Ranger Go router to provide an internet source for it.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I had a little cheap WalMart repeater (TP Link WA850RE) that was adequate to get wireless from my s&b to the trailer, but was entirely inadequate to pick up weak signals in an RV park. I went to this Hawking which has worked very well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O7MY1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Many of you here already own WFR or equivalent hardware, but I'm curious as to your thoughts about the RV marketplace's reaction to a lower-end router that did basically what the OP was asking for--a router that could be used to run a network in an RV with several times the output power of the wifi built into a laptop (~100 mW). It would be adequate to connect to nearby wifi access points but wouldn't have the punch to reach distant ones. It would run a subset of WFR software, maybe without the bells and whistles that are part of the 7.0 release next month.

Target price for this device would be <$100 which would put it in the ballpark of the "cheap Walmart repeater) mentioned above. An external antenna might cost a few $$ extra. The device would support WFRControl software so it could control a rooftop unit (MobileTi or Sky) if one was added later.

My thoughts are that there would be a fairly large market for this sort of device. Despite some of the missteps of several years ago, my impression is that WFR has developed a good reputation but its products are considered high priced by some. I'm looking at this as a way of trading on WFR's reputation but selling into a very different part of the market.

Your thoughts?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I am so confused now that I don't know what I want or need. I use public Wi-Fi on a daily basses. We use two, his and hers, laptops and also have two smart phones. I have bought two USB modems, I hope that is the right terminology, and I use a short three foot cord to in able me to put each of them in one window or another to point them at the Wi-Fi signal I am trying to get on. I start out by moving around the parking lot to find closest and best angle to my windows. Then one or the other of us has the prime spot and the other has to take second place spot. We can use our smart phones at arms length and pointed in right direction to get good Wi-Fi signal.

What I was hoping to do was find a Router, Reaper, Wi-Fi Ranger or maybe a twelve foot satellite dish that would be able to be moved to the prime position in or on my rig. Where all my computers could be in any location in my rig and be wirelessly connected to this unit. I would like this item to be something that was battery operated or I could operate it on a converter. And be simple to set up an operate.

Now I understand for most of us on this blog, money is no object and money can buy anything we need. But I was searching for a cheep and simple item. Simple is most important as I have no technology skills.

I hope this has explains my intentions.

docj: You are basically describing a variant of a "travel router", here is a comparison of a group of them running between $40 and $100 - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150741/tested-6-new-travel-routers-that-can-deploy-a-secure-wi-fi-network-almost-anywhere.html. Boosting the wifi is not what they them do, so that is an improvement that can be charged for.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Many of you here already own WFR or equivalent hardware, but I'm curious as to your thoughts about the RV marketplace's reaction to a lower-end router that did basically what the OP was asking for--a router that could be used to run a network in an RV with several times the output power of the wifi built into a laptop (~100 mW). It would be adequate to connect to nearby wifi access points but wouldn't have the punch to reach distant ones. It would run a subset of WFR software, maybe without the bells and whistles that are part of the 7.0 release next month.

Target price for this device would be <$100 which would put it in the ballpark of the "cheap Walmart repeater) mentioned above. An external antenna might cost a few $$ extra. The device would support WFRControl software so it could control a rooftop unit (MobileTi or Sky) if one was added later.

My thoughts are that there would be a fairly large market for this sort of device. Despite some of the missteps of several years ago, my impression is that WFR has developed a good reputation but its products are considered high priced by some. I'm looking at this as a way of trading on WFR's reputation but selling into a very different part of the market.

Your thoughts?

The original Go was supposed to have an external antenna to improve signal capture, but that was abandoned before many were even sold supposedly because of signal loss in the cable. The X model with an external antenna was offered and than discountinued. The original boost did/still does a good job, but was abandoned for a product at 5 times the cost with a lot of bells and whistles to make it a stand alone device that are recommended to be disabled for best performance if it is connected to the Go or other WFR router by ethernet cable. I personnally think that offering the original boost or equivalent again at a reasonable price would be a viable addition to the WFR line.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Sorry homeless, but it seems we RVers are not considered their prime clients so the more reasonably priced WiFi on Wan devices are not available at this time. Plus we are really at the mercy of the WiFi speed that we can connect to, and in most cases that is woefully slow, especially when many users are trying to use the available band width. Even the higher priced WiFi Ranger devices have the same bottleneck when connected to WiFi networks.

I guess your answer is there are not many options in the price range you are looking at. I have to believe the holding the phones out the window is not a viable long term solution. For most of us that is no solution at all. Plus that will not work for your laptops.

I think about the cheapest option is the Pepwave Surf-on-the-Go router. Take a look at these links and see if it might not be what you are looking for. You would not be using the 3g/4g option but rather the WiFi as WAN.

http://3gstore.com/product/3498_surf-on-the-go-3g-4g-router.html

WiFi as WAN:

The thing I like about the 3G-Store is that they have someone to talk to plus they will preconfigure the router to get you going.

Just my 2-cents.

Bill

The thing I like about the 3G-Store is that they have someone to talk to plus they will preconfigure the router to get you going.

There's really nothing to configure with a single-piece WiFiRanger device. Change the default password and you're ready to go.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I think about the cheapest option is the Pepwave Surf-on-the-Go router. Take a look at these links and see if it might not be what you are looking for. You would not be using the 3g/4g option but rather the WiFi as WAN.

WiFi as WAN:

Just my 2-cents.

Bill

So I can fire this up in my rig and bridge though it and see Wi-Fi in the area and select one just as I do now on my laptop?

WiFi as WAN:

Just my 2-cents.

Bill

OK I ordered this will keep you posted

So I can fire this up in my rig and bridge though it and see Wi-Fi in the area and select one just as I do now on my laptop?

Exactly! I think the video did a good job of explaining it and not to dumb it down but the PepWave creates your own little back-end WiFi network to which you connect. The Pepwave sees the WiFi in the area and lets you select which one your going to go through.

It's been my experience that the people at the 3G-Store are quite helpful if you do run into problems.

And please do keep us posted.

Bill

I have been happy with the Pepwave Surf SOHO. But I also added the optional antennas, which pull in outside Wifi better. They were not expensive, so if you find you need them, you can add them later.

Archived