Canoe?

To help make a choice regarding a canoe I would start at a library and look for the December issue of "Canoe and Kayak" magazine. The mag will give you plenty to think about. As for me I traveled with a 17 foot folding kayak from "Folbot" based in N. C. the model I had was called a Greenland. Now this is an open cockpit kayak that can be assembled for one paddler or two. You can get a skirt for either one paddler or two. I sold this boat after my wife stopped paddling. I now use a ten foot; 28 inches wide; plastic kayak from Perception. It weights 33 lbs. I used the folding kayak on oceans; big lakes; and class two river and down to floating rivers. Never a problem. Usually I paddled it by myself. The little ten footer is best for small lakes. and slow rivers. I have full timed for 16 years and have always had a boat with me. The folding kayak went into a compartment. The ten footer is on a roof rack on the pick-up. Bye the way the ten footer was under $300 new. Paddle was $200; but you could get a cheaper paddle. With a little research you can find the right boat at the right price and be able to bring it with you on the road. Hope it helps. Art

Moving as fast as a turtle thru mud

Travel Supreme 34' fiver

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have went with a Canoe that came with a sailing kit and looking forward to be young again. So far after an hour in it we both agree we need handicap bars to haul ourselves to our feet. But other than that we having fun......

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have went with a Canoe that came with a sailing kit and looking forward to be young again. So far after an hour in it we both agree we need handicap bars to haul ourselves to our feet. But other than that we having fun......

I also used to have one of those. Just be prepared to spend some time in the water with the sail. Great fun but you will capsize--maybe once, maybe more. Enjoy!

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Also a long-time paddler (both canoes and kayaks and both whitewater and salt water). I moved from canoe to kayak a long time ago but we still have our 45-year-old 16' Grumman aluminum canoe. I'm not especially fond of a canoe but in competent hands they are decent and can carry a big load.

If I got another canoe I'd get a Kevlar version. I have a Kevlar 18' kayak (a Mariner II) and it is an awesome boat and only 40 lbs. Weight is always a factor and becomes more of a factor as I get older. Plus Kevlar is what they make bulletproof vests out of......

If you are just going to mooch around local beaches, ponds, small lakes, and slow rivers then it doesn't much matter what you get as long as you're comfortable in it. Get a good PFD (lifejacket) (REI (www.rei.com) sells decent versions and NRS (www.nrs.com) has a lot of gear especially for paddlers), decent paddles, and learn to get back in (or on) if you capsize... because you will probably capsize at some point. And you will probably be surprised at how cold it is when it happens.

Vladimir's suggestion to take a course in paddling first is good advice. If you learn on a river with some white water you will be much better prepared to paddle anywhere else if the wind comes up. Do not ever underestimate the power of the water.

You can get a lot of good tips (plus reviews of many kayaks, paddles, canoes, etc. - including reviews of two of the kayaks I paddle) from www.paddling.net. There are many reviews of Grumman canoes, for instance; 41 on the one I have. They have buyer's guides for kayaks, canoes and accessories and even reviews of places to paddle and buying guides.

Remember that warm days don't necessarily mean warm water. Every year people die on warm spring days when they dress in tee-shirts and shorts and end up trying to survive in water that's still under 50-deg F. We both have drysuits, drytops, poly undergarments, and tops designed for paddling in cold water areas. NRS in Moscow, Idaho is excellent for finding that sort of gear. Your paddling instructor can give you better tips. You don't need to go crazy worrying about safety but you need to at least consider it and take appropriate steps. A good PFD is the absolute minimum. If the water temperature is below 60F I wear a "hydroskin" top from NRS. If the water temperature is below 50F I wear a drytop in white water and a drysuit paddling open water. Air temperature is irrelevant.

But if it's a warm day and water temp is above 70F then I like a tee-shirt and shorts as much as anyone.

WDR

Excellent information and something I never thought of. Thanks.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a Canoe with a sailing kit! Having lived on Lake of the Ozarks half my life I always wanted to try sailing but it was too expensive and I was busy fishing from a power boat. The sailing a canoe is a great way to try sailing with out getting into too much trouble. I will have some photos and comments on my blog next month. If anyone else out there is sailing a canoe, I would like to exchange tips!!!!!

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

The largest paddle sport show in the U.S. is taking place this weekend March 13-15 at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison Wi. Anyone in the area (yes I'm still in Wis) should check it out. Sales & seminars on everything that paddles. Bike-a-rama is taking place right next door for all you peddlers.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived