Windows 8 really messed up

rhianna

I really don't know where to begin. My DH computer died. It was a Windows 7. His new computer came yesterday and it is a Windows 8 just like mine. When he started it up and was asked to sign into Microsoft account using your e-mail address and password. That account is the same as mine so we can use the same e-mail address and access it with either one of our computers. Now everything he does on his computer changes mine. Like changes to his desktop pics will change mine. I know it has something to do with the STUPID APPS but I don't know how to disconnect his computer from mine. I know this sounds crazy but I need help.

You are doing something wrong. My wife and I are running Windows 8.1 and we use the same Microsoft login because we use Office 365.

Our desktops are totally different. Not a Windows 8.1 issue.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You could have signed in the first time using a local account not the Microsoft account, but you can still do that. Read these links with steps to do a local log in and how to step by step get that done. One thing that confuses some folks is that your password is used to stop using that account because when they ask for your password they are just verifying it is your account to mess with as you choose and you aren't a hacker or visitor or kid that got on the computer of another. Go here and read then do. http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-switch-your-windows-8-1-log-in-to-a-local-account/

Let me know how that does for you and ask if you have any other questions. We were all beginners once, and still, we all, every one, gets stumped now and again. Pay close attention the to part about your personal settings.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV; Thank you. While I was waiting DH went into "settings" and decided to try "local account". He changed the name to his and made a new password. WALA!! it changed his computer to say his name and new password without changing anything on mine. He even changed the desktop pic and mine stayed the same. I'm not sure I like this new system. I certainly don't like, and do not use the apps. Thank you again

YW,

There is a learning curve, but if you go to youtube and search for Windows 8.1 tutorials you'll get the hang of it before you know it! some like the apps and some don't. Try them and see. I love the weather app. And the Bing news is awesome, especially if you have a high def screen. But you'll see that if you watch and learn from the tutorials.

The nice thing is if you just use the desktop it is pretty much like Windows 7. The apps are a plus if you like them, but it doesn't hurt if you don't use them.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well the correction only lasted a day then my computer reverted back to DH name and password. I went into the sync system and removed my computer from the "Onenote" sync and it seemed to work for now. We will see. I am a rube when it comes to computers but have up till now been able to use one with semi confidence but my knowledge is running thin. Thank you for all your help

YW,

Have him try it exactly as outlined in the link. It takes a bit but help is on the way according to some, Windows 10. We will see then. But you aren't alone in having difficulties with Windows 8/8.1. If I can help just ask. I sometimes can here.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived