The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

Tuesday night we went to a Star Party at http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/ Very interesting presentation. It was a clear sky but really chilly. We wore our winter coats and gloves. I don't know how they can remember all of those names.

Wednesday was a good day. Went to replace the brake light switch and it was working. So while on a roll I pulled the water pump and a pressure button inside it was stuck. It's fixed. Then it was patch a flat tire on Tina's bike. All good now.

Moved yesterday to Carlsbad, NM. We're at Brantley State Park and going to the Caverns today.

Tom and Diane, we hope to see you this summer too. Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There will be a meteor shower that will peek on the 6th. A couple day ahead or after that date should produce almost as many meteors. This shower is the Aquarids and has a reputation of producing very bright and long lasting meteors. Some usually are bright enough to classify as fireballs. Early morning hours are the best for viewing but evening hours will work just not as good. This shower is the result of the earth passing through one of the dust trails left by Haley's comet's many passes. They are also predicting a brand new shower about the 24th.

Tonight looks like it will be nice and clear. Nothing exceptional is supposed to happen but I'll sit out behind my rig and look anyway. Some of the most fantastic views I've had we're when there wasn't anything supposed to happen.

I went to the Truck Stop for dinner alone tonight. No takers. I got the remainder of the old documents shredded today so that is out of the way.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Not a good day or should I say night. The weather was fine except it got a little too warm but last night about 9PM my nose started bleeding. I'd get it stopped but about 15 minutes later it would start bleeding again. This went on all night. I did get one 45 minute sleep in my chair until I awoke with blood squirting every where. At 10AM I still didn't have it under control so I went to the Emergency room at the hospital, they finally got it controlled about 3:45PM and told me to leave the packing in place until tomorrow. I came home and fell asleep and just woke up at 10:30 PM. Boy am I hungry and all I have in the rig is peanut butter and canned no salt beans. Fortunately I was able to clean up most the mess inbetween bouts of bleeding so another hour or so of cleaning tomorrow should get things back in shape. Fortunately I got a doctor in emergency that knew what he was doing. Not like that idiot out in Brawley, CA that kept trying to jam a ballon up my nose and causing more problems than I had in the first place.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Lee,

Do you have a humidifier? That dry desert air can do a job on noses. As does our dry heated air here in winter. Dave has fewer nosebleeds when we run the humidifier. When you bleed that much do they start talking transfusion? Dave's don't get as bad as yours do.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Lee, sorry you're having the problem with nosebleeds. I know what you mean about the balloon thing. I had to have one of those when I had a nosebleed a few years ago. The location was right at the back of the nose and they couldn't get to it with the regular cauterizing tool. It took two doctors to get it in there and they said I picked both of them up off the floor while they were in the process. I couldn't breathe and it scared me. Anyway I had to leave it in all night and it seemed like a 24 hour night! :o When they finally took it out I cried from the relief! (oh yeah, I can wear pink too) <_< I'm glad you got it stopped without having to go that route. Hang in there! Steve

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

I got fed up with my nosebleeds and got them cauterized, hurt like the dickens but it made a big difference. I'd do it again but I'd go pee before I let the doc work on it again. Don't ask, just pee first!

Edited by Stanley P. Miller

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yeah, Stan, I know what you mean!! :lol:

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Get it cauterized. I had the same thing. I ended up in the emergency room with nosebleeds. Doctor stuffed all kinds of stuff up my nose and tore the inside tissue. It hurt like crazy and I was on morphine. The only relief was a few days later having it cauterized. That part didn't hurt.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

http://blog.willywagon.net

For those of you who don't do Facebook, we are alive and well. Well "well" may be a bit of of a stretch. We are totally exhausted. And sore. We have 10 days til we are fully open and we don't have internet yet, or stock for the store, or interac, or or or! But we are struggling through and we do have two new staff members on site now. In the good news department, my laptop is not broken, just needed a restore and I am learning more and more about my new cellphone. At this rate, we will never ever ever get dementia.

So friends, know that we are thinking about you and counting the days until we see y'all!

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

I coat the inside of my nose with Aquaphor twice daily and spray it with saline solution during the day. This usually keeps the nose bleeds at bay or at least very minor. I went to an otolaryngologist 2 years ago. He tried to cauterize it but because the blood vessel is beyond a 90 degree crook in my right nostril it didn't do any good at all. He said it would take major surgery to straighten the nose. So that's out. Fortunately this being unable to control the bleeding only happens about once a year. It's spontainious and usually starts bleeding without any pre aggravation. I stop the bleeding but after about 10 or 15 minutes it starts again. It seems the only way to get it stopped for any length of time is to pack the nostril with cotton that has been soaked with Neo Synephrine and leave it in place for 24 hours along with direct pressure for over an hour to get it stopped initially. My biggest mistake has been to take the packing out too early when I treat it myself. My biggest trouble now is I'm weak from the loss of blood but I improve a little every day. I hope it's over for a while so I can get on with life.

And now I'll get on with what I do best and that is to complain about the dog gone wind. It's huffing and puffing out there again today however I'll have to admit yesterday was great although a little on the warm side.

Thank you all for being concerned. That's what makes this group so great.

What a difference a day makes. I feel a lot better and stronger today. I might even be up to chasing a cowgirl or two. I would probable feel even better if my CO detector hadn't woke me up at 5 wanting a new battery. It was only about a week ago that the smoke detector did the same thing. Maybe the CO detector just got jealous when the smoke detector got a little attention. I went to Tinley Tee this morning and ask them to fill my DEF tank. They said they don't stock DEF but if I went to the parts store and got some they would be glad to dump it in for me. I had 2 gallons in the back of the truck so I asked if they would just put that in for me. They said sure and called a worker out from the shop and did it right then. I went back to pay them and they said compliments of the house. They are primarily a tire store but do other minor mechanical jobs also. I sure like that place. Now that I'm back to being myself again I got to figure something to do this afternoon to keep from getting bored to death. Someone suggested work so I slammed the door in their face. Maybe I'll take a Steve.

It's been a little warm in OKC this week. They set new records for the last two days, and maybe today too. Unfortunately the renters won't be moving our of the house until the end of June, so we just have to "suck it up". Just got back from a bike ride to the middle of Norman and got my new tags for the bus and truck. That's one thing I still like about Oklahoma, the bus tag was $64 and the truck was $84 so not too bad. Sure beats the property taxes I was paying! I have an interesting 5th wheel rig parked next to me. He has a safety hitch (safetyhitch.com) connecting it to the pickup and It looks like quite the thing. It has two winches built into it. One for centering the truck during hook up, and the other has 100 feet of cable so you can winch yourself out if you get the 5iver stuck. It allows you to jackknife the rig a little better, and use all of the bed too. Check it out. Steve

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Just got back from a bike ride to the middle of Norman and got my new tags for the bus and truck. That's one thing I still like about Oklahoma, the bus tag was $64 and the truck was $84 so not too bad. Sure beats the property taxes I was paying!

Steve, we were planning on hitting South Dakota this Summer and changing residency. This a.m. I checked and compared tag rates for SD vs. Illinois (our current "residence"). Surprised to find that SD wants $540/yr for the MH and $60 for the Jeep. Illinois is askin' $102 and $101. Looks like I'm stayin' in the land of Lincoln! There's no tax on retirement in both states. Now I'm wondering why I see all of those SD plates on full-timer's rigs.

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Well, they don't have a state income tax In SD, and they have a cheaper excise tax if you're buying a new Motorhome. 3% I believe, most others are in the 6% range. We were tied with Oklahoma because of my health insurance for a while, but now that Medicare is my primary and I have a "nationwide" supplement it's a moot point. In some states you have a hard time establishing residency with no physical home. They have determined through the courts in texas that escapees address can be used as a legal residence. I don't know if SD has done that or not. Someone here will know the answer. Steve

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

It's really rocking and rolling here today. I'm getting sea sick just sitting in the rig. I think it's trying to compete with OK with the wind. I went up to City of Rocks state park last night to watch for meteors. I only saw a few but enjoyed just sitting out and the peace and quiet. Conditions were not the best for observing. There was a half moon which kept it from getting really dark. I didn't even use my flash light to set up and get everything back in the truck when I left.

Steve is right about the SD choice for full timers. Add to that no annual vehicle inspection and only having to return there every 5 years to renew your drivers license plus low insurance rates. Plus the state employees go out of there way to help you when you do have to return to take care of something. Speaking of which I have to go up there next summer to renew my drivers license. Ugg. And yes your mail service address is your legal address in SD. I just got my new vehicle registration back. The price was just over $200 for both vehicles and that included the cost of having the mail service go get it for me and send it here. Americas mail box goes to vehicle registration and gets the price. They email you telling you to get a money order or cashier's check made out to the county treasurer and send it back to them. About a week later your registration arrives in the mail. Or, you could do it yourself over the internet directly with the county treasurer.

Hi all... gonna jump in here on the SD residency. Our annual registration renewals in November were $221 on the motorhome, and $94 for the car. Love dealing with South Dakota! Went there in person July 2012 and got our drivers licenses issued, quickly and efficiently, and it's great that we need go there only every five years to renew those. Also, registered to vote there and do the absentee ballot thing. We took care of the registration in person the first time, also, easy at the courthouse Rapid City... quick and efficient, and we walked away with our new plates. Now take care of the renewals yearly via the internet.

I am guessing, Roger, that your higher rate quoted has to do with sales tax on the new rig. If you can show SD that you paid at least 3% sales tax, you will not need to pay that to them. If you paid less than 3%, they will collect the difference. We went through that when we bought our rig in Q and had to pay AZ sales tax and then settle with SD. I think I have said this all correctly???

Anyway, some states require you have a home or permanence of some sort, other than a mail service. South Dakota is very RV friendly, and we are pleased to be with them :) I don't think we could have remained residents of New Mexico or Colorado without a permanent residence. We are most happy with South Dakota. Hope this is of some help :)

Tom & Dianne Wartman
Class of 2012, and happy members of the Classless Class
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire MH
2005 Chevy Trailblazer

www.tdhomestead.blogspot.com

Hey Roger... a couple more things Tom and I were just recalling about our SD registrations. Though we have our mail through Americas Mailbox, we take care of our registrations ourselves rather than paying them for their service to register vehicles... either way works. We have had good luck dealing directly with the courthouse.

Depending on the first letter of your last name, registrations are due in different months of the year. For example, with us being a letter W, we pay our registrations in November. Your "R" might be September or October... don't know... but, when you pay your registrations the first time they will be at a prorated rate, and then you will receive notice of your full annual amount due in "your month." System seems to work well.

Also, just keep this in mind... we are SO looking forward to you and Lynn visiting us! Go west, young man! Get your drivers license and registrations, and come see us!!! And, Lee... we hope you are still thinking to come for a visit when you go get your drivers license renewed! Many of you have said you will "swing by." Looking forward to all the visits! It is snowing in Wyoming today, but think how nice and green it will be here for the summer :) Be well, everyone!

Tom & Dianne Wartman
2005 Chevy Trailblazer

We are back in the world of internet and cell phones!! Just spent 7 days up in the mountains visiting Yosemite. We went up the east side in Groveland. Would not do that again. Yosemite is beautiful (pictures are on my blog) but being without cell phones and internet was driving me nuts. We are now at the Tracy Elks. Full hook ups $20 per night.

Linda and Ed Lavin
lavinmh@yahoo.com

All good points guys. Illinois driver's license are good for four years but, you can renew online and don't have to revisit the state or take a test unless you get a ticket. I rechecked those SD rates and since our "new" Beaver MH weighs 35K lbs. I'm sure that's heavier than most other rigs. Can do the absentee voting because we "live" in my good friend's basement in East Moline which we use as our legal residence. We had to pay the 6.25% sales tax (to Illinois) when we purchased the MH in FL so, that is covered for SD...ouch. If you're from another state SD might be a no brainer but, when comparing our apples to SD's it appears to make no sense to change at this time...could change however!

The added upside to not visiting Madison, SD Dianne is that we can get out to see you and Tom sooner. Can't wait to wet a worm in that trout river and catch up on our adventures! Do we need reservations?

Finally a hint of Summer here in the QC's...87 yesterday and 82 today!

Roger & Lynn Rempe

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Well, Roger... since you and Lynn "still live" in IL, seems that remaining residents there will work out for you :) Glad to know you will still be coming our way. Check out Warren Bridge Campground online. No reservations, but also no electricity. We do have water and a dump station. That is, if it ever stops snowing... another couple inches overnight of the wet, fluffy stuff. Still hoping we will move there next Wednesday, the 14th, and planning to open after that. In the meantime, we are in a good spot here in Pinedale. Keep us posted as to your timing... will be great to have time together again!!!

Tom & Dianne Wartman
2005 Chevy Trailblazer

Move yesterday from Albuquerque to Montrose, Co. There was weather moving in so wanted to miss it. Unfortunately there was road construction between Silverton and Ouray that delayed our trip. We sat on top of Red Mountain Pass (11,075 ft.) by big snow banks for a couple of hours. We watched tv and had dinner. Then it started to snow and hard too. Decided better move on to mile marker 87 and get in the line. Snowed all the way down to the construction zone. The snow stopped just before the line started to move. The road was just wet. What a beautiful drive. I've been on Hwy. 550 a few times before and it is spectacular.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Edited by SKP On the Go

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Snow? Glad I'm a Florida resident. LOL!

You need to get out and explore more of the good ol' U.S. of A. Charley. LOL!

Edited by Lil' Red Rooster

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Snow? Glad I'm a Florida resident. LOL!

Just a couple of weeks ago I was in 100 degree temps in Big Bend National Park, Texas. As Roger says you have the wheels come on out and see the USA. How you doing Charley?

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler