Hello! New RVers, Prepping for Full Time

A_K_Chesnut

Hello everyone!

This forum is a breathe of fresh air, happy to have found it.

My wife Karla and I are prepping to start full time August 1st of this year. It's been a dream of ours for almost 5 years and we're finally making it happen.

We are in our mid 30s, avid motorcycle riders and explorers. We stealth camp every chance we get (don't care for motels) and enjoy the challenge of being as self sufficient as possible. Meeting new people and exploring new areas is energizing and exciting. We are both tired of our current jobs, don't have any debt sans my wife's small student loans, no children (and no plans to have any) and currently rent a small apartment. We intend on jumping into the full time lifestyle without taking any loans. Our families are on board and supportive (if a bit tentative) and we have a great support system of friends.

We intent on working part time and have worked out details of health insurance, employment, an "oh crud" and a re-entry plan. RV parks aren't high on our "to do" list, we're interested in boondocking on BLM and FS land as much as possible. We've applied to work for Amazon Camperforce this fall/winter, with a reference. From there will visit family in Albuquerque then onto the Imperial Dam LTVA for the winter. Then Montana or Idaho for summer 2017, my wife has worked retail for the last 5 years (shipping and receiving) for a great company that will rehire her at almost any of their stores. Rinse and repeat! This is a 2-4 year plan, although if we get hooked and can sort out long term insurance and a retirement, we have no problem continuing the life!

Currently hunting our RV and have posted a want to buy ad here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=122205

We'll also be purchasing a 6x10 or 6x12 enclosed trailer to carry the motorcycles, bicycles, basic tools and whatever "must have" things won't fit in the RV.

I felt odd just posting the ad and not introducing ourselves, so here we are with our dog Derby and our two KLRs that will be our main transportation (and have been for the last 3 years, we only have one car):

DSC_0726-M.jpg

dsc00938%20%282%29-M.jpg

Thanks for having us! We will continue reading and learning. Hope to meet some of you down the road!

- Ash

Denver, Colorado

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Thanks! Looking forward to both the rewards and the challenges. We are doing this in such a way that if it's miserable, we don't have to continue. Although I doubt that will be the case!

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Wow! I wish I had done what you're planning to do when I was 30, I had to wait until I was double that age before I could become a full-timer and live how and where I wanted to. But I'm there now and enjoying it immensely. I live in an Arctic Fox 27 – 5L, and out of the four months that I've been full-timeing I've boondocked for about three. This winter has been spent in the Arizona desert, and in the summer I'll be back in the Colorado mountains where I used to live.

So don't wait, don't put it off, and don't keep rescheduling. Life has a way of throwing roadblocks in the road to your dreams. And don't wait for everything to be perfect you're young enough that if things don't work out you can always start again, just get out there and do it....just do it.

theboondork

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

Wow thanks everyone! We're very excited. Getting closer to finding a RV as well, although we have quickly learned Colorado is NOT the place to buy! Thankfully we have contacts in surrounding states to help us out. :)

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Let me also add a word of encouragement! It has been a while since most of us began the lifestyle but adventure is the name of the game no matter when or at what age you join the movement. I am excited for you as we can only do things the first time once but we can enjoy participating with other new folks as they make the move. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

While we are here to help in any way that we can, do not hesitated to try doing things differently than most of us have as new ideas and innovations are always a good thing. My only advice at this point is to never forget that the only limits to what you can do and how you can do things is your own imagination! Enjoy the ride and live life to the fullest!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've found our new home! Had our good friend and 12 year full timer (and his wife!) go over it with a fine toothed comb before committing to purchase. Flying out to Dallas tomorrow to drive it home! VERY clean 1993 Tioga Montara 23'6", E350, 460 and OD. Can't wait to get some seat time. We have the next few months to take it out for a few overnighters, give everything a good maintenance update and personalize to our needs. Now that I know exactly what we're getting, I'll be learning as much as I can about the motor, chassis and systems.

1.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for your encouragement!

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

The drive home should give you a pretty good shakedown at least for the chassis. With a trip of 800 miles, you could easily spend a night or two along the way and get the feet wet there also. Travel safely! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Congratulations on your new to you RV and the beginning of your adventure. Stop by often and update us on the experiences.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Got her home just before the snow! Whew! Had a blast. Runs incredibly well. 8mpg over two full tanks at 60-65mph, some wind. Didn't burn a drop of oil. Every system operating as it should, all it needs is a new water filter on the pump (plastic is old and cracking). No lights to the back of the coach besides the brake/turn, gotta dig into that. All the E350 fuses and relays are good as well as the bulbs, so need to get the coach manual out. Likely an easy fix, but definitely not getting into it with 6" of snow on the ground and still coming down!

A good tune up on all systems, fresh caulking, adding some driving lights and personalizing the interior is on the list to do over the next 4 months. Also will sort out the trailer wiring (there but no juice) and need to research trailer brake controllers.

Had a great night on a Texas farm road on our way out. Had to split the trip in two due to no working tail lights. It was great fun! We've ALWAYS tent camped everywhere we go, must say being able to just turn on the thermostat was my favorite thing.

DSC_0808-L.jpg

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

You two need to start a blog. Good luck on your travels.

We actually have one already! I'll be adding the "bring the trip RV home" trip post once I get through the photos.

We take notes every day on every trip we take (mostly motorcycles and stealth camping), really helps get the stories down.

In the end I started doing it to save the memories for ourselves, but our family and friends seem to like it too.

Man those bikes in the banner are old though! My wife is on her second bike since! We both have KLRs now.

http://smashrides.blogspot.com/

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Sounds good. Just a word of warning and from experience. Don't make your motorcycles your main transportation, it gets old after a while.

They've been our main transportation for 3.5 years. :) It is totally a pain in the butt sometimes! Mostly it's great.

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Hey guys, looks like we've got a cold snap that blew in a bit unexpectedly. 15 tonight, 18 tomorrow night. After that daytime temps will be back up to atleast 55 and overnights will rarely be below freezing for more than a few hours.

The upper 20s don't have me worried, but these next two nights definitely do. This is likely the last cold snap of the season.

Tips on what to do? My spigot on my fresh water drain needs fixed, so that tank is a bit of a bear to empty. It's a little less than half full right now. Fresh water tank enclosed. Black tank is 1/4 full I believe, grey is basically empty. There's a Flying J about 30 minutes away I can go empty that black tank if necessary. I can try and get that fresh tank as empty as possible, but I doubt I'll be able to get it completely dry.

Thanks everyone!! Just bad timing with the weather, when we scheduled all this this storm wasn't supposed to be as cold!

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Think I could just set the thermostat tonight to say about 50 and that would keep things from getting too frozen? It's a bit noisy and we have it parked at our apartment complex, so if I don't have to do this would rather not.

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Our local Walmart has RV antifreeze in stock! I'm saved. Will drain the tanks as best I can as well.

If you have never winterized an RV before, be careful as there are certain steps and precautions you need to make.

RV antifreeze in hot water tank is bad. You need to drain the hot water tank and find the bypass valves which will prevent any more water or RV antifreeze from getting into the tank. A little bit of water in bottom of tank is OK.

You need to drain your grey and black water tanks as best you can. A little bit won't hurt as long as you add antifreeze to those tanks (mainly to protect the drain valves).

Do not put RV antifreeze into your fresh water tank, it will be a pain to get rid of the taste. Drain your fresh water tank as best as you can. Again a little bit in tank will not hurt as long as there is room for expansion.

Next you heed to find your low point caps and remove them to drain the water lines. After done draining them put the caps back on and now using a antifreeze hose kit installed on the inlet side of your pump, pump antifreeze thru your lines and faucets. Open up your faucets till you see pink fluid. Don't forget to run the toilet and shower heads till pink stuff comes out. Pour some pink stuff in each drain trap.

You may need more than 1 gallon. Each RV is different, so above items may need to modified for yours.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived