No start with Key switch...????

OU812

I have a 98 Volvo  N 14 , 10 speed. 670,00 miles,   When attempting to start, with the key. ( I let the lights come on and don't crank until the seat belt light goes off) No dash lights  I get nothing, then back off, second try I get dash lights,  ( voltage is 12.8 volts) a click and ECM,  and dash lights go out.  Back off, third or forth try starter engages and engine start up as usual.   Battery's are 6 mouths old ( charging at !3.8 when running) and clean.  I have replaced the starter relay,  and the electrical connection at the  bottom of key switch.  The electrical system is all original,  only add on is a trailer brake controller.  No orders (smell of something hot), checked for loose connections, all over.   Truck runs fine, and intersegments are normal when running.   Has any one had a simmer experience  whit their truck?  No I'm not next to a repair shop...but I know that I could get to one,.. in a few 100 miles.  (Volvo).  I' thinking of a starter  going bad...??    Is there something I should be looking at ??     I think I have covered everything that I attempted and the systems.  Any in put is appreciated  Thank you   OU812

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, OU812 said:

Where was this fusible link at?  Down by the battery?   I have a 2007 Volvo 670 and I can turn key and display goes blank, but no sounds of it trying to turn over...   Or do I have a ton of dead batteries instead?

Problem solved........ long story short...... Replaced a low resistance fusible link. (corroded inside)   Now the key worked all the time. Thank you for all your replies.   OU812