2001 National DP consideration

Roger 1437

I am considering a 2001 National Tradewinds DP with 64k miles.  It has the 330 HP Cat engine.  I’m a former large boat owner so comfortable with all the “house” items (inverters, stoves, refers, batteries etc) but wonder what I should consider about the DP drive train?  The pics of the unit look good but I haven’t yet travelled down to actually see the unit.  Are there known problems with this unit?  What type of inspection should I require and expected costs?  I favor a DP for all the known reasons but want advice on known issues etc.  thanks for any advice.

roger

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

National RV was a very highly rated RV manufacturer for most of their history, but failed in 2007 due to problems from some bad materials. The mileage is low but not extremely so since most RVs are only used part-time and typically see 5 - 10k miles per year. I would definately want to have the entire RV checked out either by a professional pre-purchase RV inspector or by an RV tech and a diesel mechanic. It probably sold new for between $140k & $160k and NADA lists average retail today at just over $20,000. If it is in good condition, it should serve you well. 

Keep in mind that motorhome tires should be replaced somewhere betwee 7 & 10 years of age in order to be reliable so make sure that you check the date codes on all tires. If you buy this one I would also plan to have all fluids and all rubber components replaced before you use it much. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just started fulltiming in a low mileage 1999 National Tropical (a gas model) the end of February, but we've already been through 12 states - wow. For comparison, it only has 275 hp and about 1/2 the torque of your cat. Sometimes it slows way down climbing steep grades at high elevations. I am in Utah now, boondocking by Capitol Reef NP. It was a bugger going over the mountains on UT Hwy 12 from Boulder (The Journey Through Time Scenic Byway) getting here, slowing to under 30mph in some places (pulling a toad up 8-10% grades at around 9,000 ft) as it was very twisty and we couldn't get a run at many of the steep inclines. But your turbo cat should do much better under these type of worst case scenario conditions. We chose a gas model because of expensive problems we have had with diesels (Ford) in the past. Though I don't think you will have many problems with a low mileage Cat.

We love the build quality of our rig. Older Nationals are very sturdily built with great attention to detail and a high quality interior.

Of course you will have things that just age out, despite the low mileage, like the water heater temperature/pressure valve that I replaced  couple days ago. If your refrigeration unit and fridge board hasn't been replaced recently (ours had) I would expect to replace it soon, along with rubber parts like sway bar bushings, recaulking, etc. If you are handy repairing things as they break/age out then an older National might be a great value as it has "good bones" as they say. We got ours just under average blue book, but with only 28k miles and garage kept, it was in well above average condition, plus had lots of options, like dual pane windows, and the tag axle provided the load capacity needed needed for full-time use. Many motorhomes we looked at were unsuitable for full-timing because of insufficient carrying capacity alone.

It was a good decision for us. In short, we're happy campers.

Chip

Since you're new to this forum (welcome!) please don't leave us.  However, there's another forum, irv2.com  that has an Owner's section and there's a sub section for National RVs.  You might want to go there to see of any issues with them.  Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel