How would you arrange your "love it or hate it" voyage?

TherapyBound

7 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

I expect my husband will do most of the driving, especially since he loves it, but I want to drive enough to feel comfortable and familiar with it.

That sounds like us. Dave likes to drive and I'm wiling but not excited about driving. So I mostly pulled out of campsites to where we were to hookup the toad while he moved the toad into place. Sometimes I helped with the hookup and sometimes I didn't. I also drove from one rest area to another when we were going to be on a freeway. Those two things were enough to keep me comfortable while allowing Dave to enjoy driving and me to enjoy being the passenger.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While different couples work differently, the vast majority of those I know separate the jobs. One couple mentioned that one time when they were still sharing tasks, both thought the other had done something so it didn’t get done. That could have disastrous results (not in their case), and after that they split up the responsibilities. Several couples I know work it where one person does all the interior tasks while the other does the exterior tasks. 

I’m solo so if I don’t do it, it doesn’t get done. No problem.

3 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

One couple mentioned that one time when they were still sharing tasks, both thought the other had done something so it didn’t get done.

That's a communication problem. When one of us is going to do the other person's job we make sure we both know that. Just like our finances. We learned early on that I could manage our finances or Dave could manage our finances but WE couldn't do that.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a checklist for everything. One for what to bring, one for setting up camp, one for breaking camp, one for shopping before a trip. 

The what to bring is the one I use most, I try to go through it every time I go somewhere. One of my problems is that my trailer is set up with all its own stuff like dishes, towels, sheets etc. That means that most things are already stored away and all I have to do is pack clothes and food and go. Or at least that’s the way it can work, most of the time. But then I’ll run out of batteries in the house and use the stash in the trailer, without putting them back. Mine is a compilation of several lists I’ve found on the Internet then adapted to my particular rig. It’s now marked up as I’ve added and deleted things.

The set-up and break camp lists are shorter. They are in order of events.  Those are specific to each type of rig. Won’t most rental companies have them? It can be as simple as: 1. level, 2. chock wheels, 3. unhitch trailer (maybe), 4. put down stabilizers, 5. run out slide. Now there’s sub tasks under some of those tasks, and I would probably hook up utilities (if any) before running the slide out, but it doesn’t matter with my trailer where in the order they are done.

The one thing I always do after I’m ready to go is to walk around my rig and site and physically touch such things as the electrical box (someone got a nice EMS I left once), water faucet (did my pressure reducer get put away as well as the right angle coupler on the trailer), windows, and so on. At the same time I’ll check the lights on the trailer. 

2 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

Laughing with you, not at you! (You're laughing, right? ;) )

Waiting for our turn on the road, I do wonder what embarrassments and newbie mistakes we'll make. My hope is they won't involve poo.

Yup, I'm laughing.

My only mistake involving poo was when a let a guy "help" who didn't make a solid connection. He was helping because his wife wanted me to move faster. Instead, she got to wait while I cleaned up after him. That seemed fair to me. :)

Linda

11 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

Mine got left in Seward AK last summer.

I have 2 spare water pressure regulators that I have found on water hydrants where we stopped over the past couple of years. 

At one time we had an indoor/outdoor thermometer that I kept the outdoor transmitter laying on a tire to keep it out of direct sun. On two different occasions, I drove our of our site without taking my transmitter off of the tire.......  🙄

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1. Head off to somewhere / something you “love”, not “hate”. Recognize a RV is an appliance, not the Center of Your Existence.

2. Travel slowly.

3. Everything improves when you go outdoors.

4. Repeat ^ .

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.