Long Term Parking Website

Hi All, wondering if anyone can suggest resources for long term parking options? I will be leaving Florida soon to head to San Diego, CA where I’ll be stationed for 3ish years.

Moving from a small town and a quiet RV park, I’m a bit nervous about finding a good place to park the RV. A bit worried about crime and generally not having as much peace of mind in a bigger city. Anyone know of websites/information to help find a good long term site to park? I’ve been mostly browsing Craigslist for RV parks. Thanks! 

Fiddler's Cove Navy yacht club and RV park. Call and see if they have long term for active duty assigned there. We stayed there every year. It's right next to the Navy Seals training HQ. We love it. Go south on I-5and just before you hit Mexico take the Imperial Beach exit.

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/military/military-campgrounds.aspx

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I lived in San Diego for 35 years before I went full time 6 years ago. I remember meeting a Navy family with kids living in a Cyclone Fifth Wheel at the San Diego KOA which is actually located on the border between National City and Chula Vista. The surrounding area is so so but the KOA is very nice and does have security. Also there is a campground at Admiral Baker Field in the Mission Valley area available for military. Not sure if it is long term. Another choices for a public campground is Santee Lakes or  a San Diego County campground at Sweetwater Reservoir. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

My first thought was Admiral Baker RV Park but it would seem that they have no long-term sites.  Since it has been quite some time since we were last in San Diego area, I suggest that you start by checking with Campground Reviews website and go from there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, NavyKid said:

Thanks for the info! I called Fiddlers Cove yesterday and their max stay is a month. There are a few places I’ve found with a max stay of 6 months(Admiral Baker).

That's due to CA law.  It's heavily biased in favor of the renter, and the longer you stay in an RV park, the more rights you gain until after 9 months of occupancy the renter is considered a "tenant" with the same rights as someone leasing an apartment or house.  At that point the park has go through a full court eviction process to get rid of someone, and that can take several months in itself.  Meanwhile the tenant gets to stay until the conclusion of the eviction, even if they aren't paying any rent.

As a result, most parks in CA have a policy of letting people stay for 6 months or less.  Then you have to leave and reset the tenancy clock.  The park is then free to let you back in as a new renter, or they can refuse to issue a new lease.   I lived in several RV parks in CA for 5 years, and the amount of time "out" of the park varied from a day or two every 6 months to pull out, go around the block and come back in.  In one case I was even told "we're not here 24 hours a day, so we have no way of knowing if you actually moved out or not.  Sign here".

Agree with Lou on that. Fiddler's cove had reservations so we had to move our RV to a new space every few days. But that was different. You could just move for a month to each Military park to see which ones you like best and barrow it down to two. Then make reservations at the other beforehand. We haven't been back since 2003 but even then the local civilian parks were 70 bucks a day average.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

Camp Pendleton just up the road has Military camping, if you are just looking to store and you are an Elk the Chula Vista elks have lots of space as well as camping.

BnB

Mira Mar also has RV storage but I think the OP is looking to live in his rig. El Cajon Elks also has RV parking but I don’t think it is long term. Oceanside and Vista Elks have FHU and may be long term. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

All great info, thanks for that information Lou. That makes sense as to what we’ve been seeing at parks.

yes, we plan to live in the RV. Called KOA today, they said they have long term parking but are booked into 2020. Gonna keep calling around to see if anyone allows stays longer than 6 months. 

Thanksgor the website Kirk will check that out as well!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd recommend KoA as well. I stayed at a KoA in Colorado that I thought was one of the nicest, well kept campgrounds in the area. But it received a wide variety of positive and negative reviews. Same goes for the one's I refused to stay at. Many positive reviews and I thought it looked like an inner city homeless shelter.

Archived