Winter Travel From Colorado Springs to Breckenridge - Route Recommendation.

PhaetonFam

We will be in Colorado Springs next week and have a very unique opportunity to spend a few days in Breckenridge including Christmas Eve and Day.  I'm posting this with the hopes to receive feedback regarding the best recommended route to consider during this time of year.  It looks like two  of the options are either I-25 / I-70   or  US-24 / CO 9  - We will be traveling in a Phaeton 40IH and will not have a tow vehicle for this portion of the trip.   Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated!!!!  

Next week CO has snow flurries forecast each day, with temps staying below freezing. So roads may be icy. Although 24/9 is shorter and more direct, for safety, I would use the well traveled, better maintained I-25/70 route.  Christmas in Breckenridge is special, have a great time. Depending on where you're staying, driving a big rig through downtown can be a challenge and only certain lots allow over sized parking, so plan your route ahead of time.

Remember that if conditions get bad enough the CDOT can implement the mandatory chain law on either of those routes.  When living in CO, my practice was that if conditions were that bad, I would delay my travels until the storm passed and conditions improved. Putting chains on a motorhome can cause damage if not installed properly. Also be aware that CDOT uses salt, salt brine and salt/sand mixtures on the roads before & during icy conditions.

Jim

While Colorado's chain laws do not apply to a private motor home, I for sure would not consider doing any of the high passes in one if the chain laws are in effect. 

I'm with Kirk in that the I-25/I-70 route would be better this time of year. Hoosier Pass (CO-9) has a number of shaded areas that leave icy patches no matter what is done for plowing. 

When in doubt check this web site for Colorado road conditions, closures and highway cams. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I believe the chain law in CO applies to all vehicles over 26,000 lbs. From October 1 until April chains must be carried. You spin out or can't make the hill expect a ticket along with the tow bill.

Check carefully. If you go make sure to wash the underside when you get to warmer climes.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Colorado has multiple chain/traction laws/rules that apply to different vehicles and road conditions.  The long time & well known "chain law" that applies to all commercial vehicles and requires them to carry chains all the time from Sept to May. 

For the last 5 yrs or so, Colorado also has 2 laws that apply to private vehicles. The "traction law" or Code 15, can be implemented by CDOT or highway patrol when roads are icy/snowy and limited visibility. Code 15 requires all vehicles on the designated roadway to have either: snow tires, M&S tires, 4 wheel drive or chains or other approved traction device. A step up from the traction law is the passenger vehicle chain law (code 16) which requires all vehicles driving on the designated roads to have chains or similar approved traction device like AutoSock installed.. In reality Code 15 is frequently used, but Code 16 is rarely used since when conditions get that bad they usually close the road.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/assets/FactSheetTractionandPassengerVehicleChainLaw.pdf

Jim

Archived