Upgrading to big rig

Grt8West

Upgrading to international prostar after towing successfully with pickup. Just my dream

But now I need help from the real experts, real life haulers. With the internet and google, I’m determined to do it but would greatly appreciate advice 

king pin towing height adjustment 

trailer wiring converter 

trailer brake control

how to put additional seats in semi sleeper cab for the kids

how to make or where to look for motorcycle docking on back of semi 

This will probably get a lot more activity if you post it in the HDT section where all the current HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) owners or potential owners frequent.  As to your specific questions:

Industry standard pin height is 48”

There are several ways to accomplish this, but the most popular is the Jacalopee by Henry Szmyt at ethitch.com

For trailer brake controllers, many are going to the Directlink by Tuson,  but a basic air electric controller like the Hayes will work just as well.

There are lots of ways to put additional seating in a sleeper.  Some take seats out of a van or other vehicle with appropriate seats (some do benches, some do multiple bucket seats) and install them in place of the bed.  I used a bench seat out of a medium duty truck for my sleeper.

As for motorcycle hauling on the back, something like a Rampage lift or a Mountainmaster lift mounted sideways across the bed behind the sleeper is often popular.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

This will probably get a lot more activity if you post it in the HDT section where all the current HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) owners or potential owners frequent.  As to your specific questions:

There are several ways to accomplish this, but the most popular is the Jacalopee by Henry Szmyt at ethitch.com

For trailer brake controllers, many are going to the Directlink by Tuson,  but a basic air electric controller like the Hayes will work just as well.

There are lots of ways to put additional seating in a sleeper.  Some take seats out of a van or other vehicle with appropriate seats (some do benches, some do multiple bucket seats) and install them in place of the bed.  I used a bench seat out of a medium duty truck for my sleeper.

As for motorcycle hauling on the back, something like a Rampage lift or a Mountainmaster lift mounted sideways across the bed behind the sleeper is often popular.

Thank you for the ideas. I appreciate the feedback 

31 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I looked thru your suggestions and was wondering how you got your hitch height to the 48”?

7 hours ago, Grt8West said:

I looked thru your suggestions and was wondering how you got your hitch height to the 48”?

I have a 1” thick sheet of metal spanning between my frame rails behind the axle and welded to the bottom flange of my frame.  My truck was originally set up as a horse hauler when I bought it and there was a gooseneck ball mounted in the 1” plate.  I added 4” tube welded into a rectangular box the footprint of my trailer saver hitch and drilled holes through the tube and the plate that matched up to the mounting holes in the hitch.  I then used grade 8 bolts to sandwich the whole thing together.

Most people bolt angle of sufficient size and thickness to either side of the frame rails between the flanges at the proper height and then mount their hitch to the angle.  This involves drilling holes in the frame rails (which can be difficult).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The frame of a HDT flexes and this can be problematic to welds.  The welds into hardened steel are brittle and can fail from this flexing.   This is one of the reasons why frame cross members are riveted instead of welded.  In our use this may not be a problem but I would keep an eye on the welds.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived