repair estimates for major jobs

Rvnotyet

First, so I don't start a topic which is already started  (and make everyone crazy), how can I find out if a question is already covered, or should I look at each existing post and try to make the connection?

For repair estimates, to try to figure out value for a class C so I can make a fair offer, is there a place I can get estimates for repairs for at least the big jobs, the roof, replacing the AC,  all the window gaskets, etc.?  I know prices may very, but that would give me an idea of what to figure into the price.  Thanks...  

The only repair I would consider major is the roof repair. If it were me I'de get one of those rhino or tough roofs sprayed on. They guarantee them for life. The AC is pretty easy with only 4 bolts. Hard part  is getting it on the roof. 2 people can do it without much trouble. The window gaskets are a butyl tape like they use in mobile homes. Take the windows out one at a time and re seal them with that.

Hope this helps a little.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

There is a NADA Blue Book website for RVs and that will give you a estimate. Repairs are the cost of the item, you should be able to get that online. Labor is a  different matter. If you go to a dealer, figure $150-$170 per hour. If you go to an independent, figure $115-125/hour and a much faster repair. Try to do as much as you can yourself.

Hope this helps.

The spray on roofs I have seen costs of $120-$140 per linear foot. A/C's probably 1.5 - 2  hrs labor and cost of the A/C is dependent on BTU with or without heat pump, and possible upgraded thermostat. I just replaced both A/C units 15K each with new thermostats for about $1200. This was without heat pumps and with new thermostats. I installed them myself and was fairly simple.  If you are handy and able DIY is the way tp go. There are quite a few forums and you tube videos on how to do stuff. 

event.png

55 minutes ago, Rvnotyet said:

First, so I don't start a topic which is already started  (and make everyone crazy), how can I find out if a question is already covered, or should I look at each existing post and try to make the connection?

No need to be concerned about asking a question that you don't find in a current thread. Many questions do get asked periodically and that is a good thing because the best answer often changes as circumstances and issues change.  It is best to start a new thread if you ask something that isn't closely related to an existing thread or when the thread that you do find is old and doesn't completely cover your issues. 

58 minutes ago, Rvnotyet said:

For repair estimates, to try to figure out value for a class C so I can make a fair offer, is there a place I can get estimates for repairs for at least the big jobs, the roof, replacing the AC,  all the window gaskets, etc.? 

About the only way to get an accurate estimate of that sort of costs would be to check with a local dealer or RV tech to see what it would cost. Not only do labor rates vary quite widely around the country, but they are also rising as the costs for other things increase. In addition, appliance prices continue to increase as well. You could visit one of the online parts sellers to get an idea of what each new appliance would cost. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this or either of your two previous threads is, what is your background and do you have any previous RV experience? In looking at the three subjects I suspect that you have little to go on. It is always a good idea to have a professional inspect a used RV before you buy it, especially if you do not have an extensive RVing history. We could probably give you much more and better advice if we also knew more about the RV in question. Are you shopping for a used class C or do you already have one in mind?

First, thanks for your help, you folks definitely know your way around.  You're right, we haven't done any RVing since we had our 1967 Dodge Travco van camper conversion back in the 80s, we put an engine in it and a few days later left NY for Martha's Vineyard on our honeymoon (God does watch over children and fools, I guess we were a bit of both).  We are looking for a class C, 22 ft or smaller, there are just the two of us, and I am paranoid about leaks/mold etc., since I have some asthma.  I agree 100% that  we should have a professional inspect whatever we look at, but how do you find a good inspector if a good one comes up thousands of miles from where you live?  Is there some kind of list or review site, or association to check?  There is a class C 4 hours drive from where we live, rubber roof, coated with some stuff they got at the hardware store, and it has had some restoration done to it that I'm a little concerned about, we saw it after a rain storm and it had some leaks,  but it is SO CLOSE.  Thanks again-

Speaking as one who has owned RVs for more than 30 years now, I would never buy an RV whose history I do not know that has signs of leaks. If the leak has been continuing for very long that RV could very well have structural issues that could cost more than the value of the RV to repair and also hidden mold issues. What sort of budget are we looking at and where are you shopping? There is no way that you can save money by purchasing an RV that needs repairs if you can't do the work yourself. RV repairs cost at least $100/hour. 

2 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I would not buy anything that shows signs of a past or present leak. You are asking for trouble and lots of $$$ plus potential health problems.

Agree . . . What you don't see is usually 100 times worse than what is visible.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Thanks again, I don't like to be a downer, but I agree that 100 times worse sounds right, what you can't see is probably a problem with just about anything.  This makes me feel a little better about not following up on this re we recently looked at, my wife was so impressed by this rv that I felt terrible pointing out the wet seat cushion in the back.   On repairs, I can do some minor work  (I was once told by a farmer friend that I would be fine on a small farm where they didn't need nuthin). So the issue is to find a unit which has a clear history and no evidence of leaks.  I'd welcome any pointers on how to conduct a search, and I'll save some money in the meantime.  This really is a great forum...

So that you can make a more educated decision you should consider going to the Escapees RV Boot Camp, even without an RV or at least look at some of the educational videos on the Escapee site.   This will be money well spent and probably save you many dollars in the purchase process.       

• 2 weeks later...

Archived