Aftermarket cruise control

chief916

Has anyone out there have any knowledge about using aftermarket cruise controls on the early model...1997..class 8 Volvo's????  Tired of spinning my wheels on trying to troubleshoot this pos system.  Have had it looked at 3 different times....hours spent trying to find out why it won't engage.  So far it's been narrowed down to possibly an ohm variation on maybe a break switch.....or something like that.  DW just told me to put an aftermarket system on it and be done with it.  Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

In many cases the brake light switch IS the problem, they are cheap and pretty easy to change.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just a side note on our 2000 Volvo with a cummins N14.

The cruise worked normal except when it noticed a hill in front of it. Then it was lazy, as in it would not open the throttle to accommodate the power needed to stay at speed. It would then almost at once try to catch up to its cruise speed. I just got use to helping it along until it was pulling as needed.

About two years ago I replaced the throttle poison sensor. It not only fixed the cruise problem, it also made the throttle more responsive .

Hope this helps someone,.   Vern

Vern, have you seen the YouTube videos buy the n14 mechanic? He recommends replacing the boost sensor if it hasn’t been replaced in the past 5 years. I did it and it made a difference. It is on the back of The intake plenum. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

13 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Just a side note on our 2000 Volvo with a cummins N14.

The cruise worked normal except when it noticed a hill in front of it. Then it was lazy, as in it would not open the throttle to accommodate the power needed to stay at speed. It would then almost at once try to catch up to its cruise speed. I just got use to helping it along until it was pulling as needed.

About two years ago I replaced the throttle poison sensor. It not only fixed the cruise problem, it also made the throttle more responsive .

Hope this helps someone,.   Vern

Vern...where would I locate the throttle position sensor on the Detroit 60?  Any ideas?

Archived