Sudden air leak.

GlennWest

We towed our home, Smart yesterday for the first time with disc brake upgrade with Bludot. Worked wonderfully for about an hour. Fixing to do a turn around off of interstate for bathroom brake, got low air warning and trailer brakes locked down. Blead off Bludot tank and proceeded very carefully. No problems with truck air, but air drops fast when trailer service air is applied. Could not hear leak but lots of noise around.  Will sort out after this job. 7-10 days.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...

Tractor protection valve bad. Bypassing all the time. $35.00. Bendix refers to it as a quick release valve. The original Menitor valve had tractor protection on it. QRL valve

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I may be a bit confused, but inline quick releases do NOT do tractor protection no matter the brand.  Their sole purpose in life is to exhaust the mile of air in the curley hoses so that your TP or park brake valves clear up in the front of the truck don't have to do it.  This way your trailer brakes don't lag way behind your truck brakes on release.  If your TP-3 came out and these went in its place then it is incorrect and the truck needs to be parked till it is fixed.  But I think you just brought in the leaker and he gave you the same thing only in a Bendix?  The Bendix and the Meritor look darn near the same too.  If so, then it is fine and it is just words/names that are wrong and not the truck.

BTW, the leak should have occurred on the tractor, not the trailer.  When the gladhands are added to the back of the truck these two valves go in those new gladhands.  They don't go to the trailer with the coily hoses.  Well, I suppose they could go to the trailer with the coily hoses, but a new set needs to be mounted in the tractor gladhands as well.

Well I will try to explain. This is a valve that the red trailer air supply comes out of. The air fitting for this screws directly into discharge of valve. The one I removed was blowing air. It has "tractor protection valve" on the tag on it. The valve screws directly into housing assembly. I know there is more to a protection valve but it was plainly on it. The Truck Pro parts man said they are commonly replaced. Said I could have removed and still had brakes for an emergency situation. Said would still release but slower. Bendix calls it a quick release valve. Part # 800333. It builds air good now and trailer side holds too. 

Archived