Is This A New Tire

masterdrago

We have been looking at a 2018 Solitude 375RES. I noticed today that the tires are Westlake 235/85R16 CR960A 132/127L 14PR max pressure 4,400lb @ 110psi load range g. This info was read directly off the tire. The wheel has what look like brass valve stems. Here is my confusion. Nowhere can I find a g-rated tire that has a 4,400lb load rating, especially on the web pages of Westlake. I was able to find a tire with a load rating of 4080lb at http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Westlake-Radial-Tire

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

I can't answer that question but I can answer one you didn't ask.  I has a tire failure on my previous medium duty truck and I got 2 Westlake steer tires for the front.  Worst tires I have ever purchased.  Terrible wear pattern.  Lousy handling.  Replaced before 7,000 miles with a set of Bridgestones and zero problems thereafter.  As I recall, Westlake USA was cited a year or two later and paid a massive fine.  My experience was probably 15 yrs ago but if I saw Westlakes on any vehicle I was about to purchase, I would insist on new tires of almost any other brand.  FWIW

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

I saw that recall somewhere a few years back. Different tire though. Other folks have had good luck with the Westlake tires. They appear to be common on 5th wheels and such. If I do the math, The Solitude when fully loaded will have about 1000# of tire capacity remaining per tire so not overloaded. The other 5r we are looking at is a Montana which has Sailuns but doing the math makes the leeway only 580#/tire. I have found the Sailun equivalent (code#S5540993 ST235/85R16 132/127L) for ~$185. I had just not seen this weight rating in a g-rated tire. Maybe I can get a bit of credit for the new Westlake tires somewhere that sells Sailun.

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

I saw that recall somewhere a few years back. Different tire though. Other folks have had good luck with the Westlake tires. They appear to be common on 5th wheels and such. If I do the math, The Solitude when fully loaded will have about 1000# of tire capacity remaining per tire so not overloaded. The other 5r we are looking at is a Montana which has Sailuns but doing the math makes the leeway only 580#/tire. I have found the Sailun equivalent (code#S5540993 ST235/85R16 132/127L) for ~$185. I had just not seen this weight rating in a g-rated tire. Maybe I can get a bit of credit for the new Westlake tires somewhere that sells Sailun.

Many tire shops that sell Carlisle also sell Sailun. I ran 4 Sailun 235/85R 15, LR G on our 15,500# 5er and never had another tire problem, was continually having problems with ST tires. I now run Sailun 22.5's on our MH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just my opinion and its worth every penny you paid for it.

But Westlake is made in China and should be considered Bombs .

My thoughts are you will be much happier with ether Goodyear G614 or the Hankook ......I think the F-19 in 7.50 x 16.

Regardless I would stay away from anything made china due to the quality 

I have looked at the g-rated Goodyear G614. They have a max load of 3,750 @110psi. On the Solitude, that only gives me a 350# grace per tire when at the GVWR. Am I seeing this right? The F-19 has only a 3,307# load rating - they would be overloaded. For the Sailun, looks like a 200-300 mile drive to get them - not much around here.

Hey spendrift, I talked with Ron a few week ago about disc brake conversion. Seems they have a very mobile shop and get good reviews. Did not know they are a Sailun dealer. Depending on when and where we purchase our 5r, I might arrange an appointment to go there to have the whole enchilada done at once. Heck, I might even make a deal :=}

Grand Design RVs come stock with Westlakes - either LR E or LR G depending on RV model, axle ratings and wheel diameter. We had good service from our OEM Westlakes until a piece of rebar on I-16 coming out of Savannah took one out and a second had abnormal wear due to a bent spindle. Over on the Grand Design forum, I would say most rate them as an OK tire. Since we had to replace two anyway, I went ahead and went with the load range G Sailuns.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Well, here's the skinny. Doing a bit of inquiry led to this note from Lionshead Specialty Tire and Wheel. Explains a lot that I'm finding in my search for a 5r and looking at tire load ratings. Looks like changes are being made to rv tires.

Good morning Kenneth,

This is not a new tire, September 1, 2017 the Tire & Rim association mandated a 10% increase in the load carrying capacity of tires and the corresponding wheels supplied to the RV industry.

The Westlake brand tire is LionsHeads premium tire, supplied to LionsHead by the 10th largest tire manufacturer in the world.  LionsHead has sold over 2 million Westlake brand  tires in the last 5 years and our warranty experience is less than .05%.   I was at the Grand Design owners rally in August and got some very positive feedback from many Grand Design customers in regards the Westlake brand tires that we supply Grand Design.

The ST235/85R16 LRG All Steel Westlake Radial brand tire had a load carrying capacity prior to the mandate of 4080lbs, with the mandate the ST235/85R16 LRG All Steel Westlake Radial brand tire now has an increased load carrying capacity of 4,400lbs with the recommend cold psi rating of 110psi staying the same, this is a tire designated for (ST) Special Trailer use, it is not an (LT) or light truck designation, due to their designation light truck tires have a lower load carrying capacity than ST or Special Trailer designated tires.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Brenda Speicher 

LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel

PH:574-533-6169 x129

Fax: 574-533-6761

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

Well, here's the skinny. Doing a bit of inquiry led to this note from Lionshead Specialty Tire and Wheel. Explains a lot that I'm finding in my search for a 5r and looking at tire load ratings. Looks like changes are being made to rv tires.

Good morning Kenneth,

This is not a new tire, September 1, 2017 the Tire & Rim association mandated a 10% increase in the load carrying capacity of tires and the corresponding wheels supplied to the RV industry.

The ST235/85R16 LRG All Steel Westlake Radial brand tire had a load carrying capacity prior to the mandate of 4080lbs, with the mandate the ST235/85R16 LRG All Steel Westlake Radial brand tire now has an increased load carrying capacity of 4,400lbs with the recommend cold psi rating of 110psi staying the same, this is a tire designated for (ST) Special Trailer use, it is not an (LT) or light truck designation, due to their designation light truck tires have a lower load carrying capacity than ST or Special Trailer designated tires.

What ???  This doesn't pass the smell test.

The Tire and Rim Association told everyone to increase their rim and weight ratings?  So it's now OK to put 10% MORE weight on tires that already had notoriously bad safety records before the change?

That's not right.

It would make far more sense for them to tell the industry to  increase the safety margin on RV rims and tires by 10%.  This means less weight than before

A tire that was rated at 4080 lbs. under the old rules would be downgraded by 10% to 3672 lbs. under the new standard, not have it's rating increased to 4400 lbs.

Either the Lionshead representative got things exactly backwards or there's some funny business going on. 

It would be interesting to hear what Sailun and Westlake have to say on this issue. They are the only ones so far that I've seen with that load rating on a 16" tire. I guess it's easy to change the mold to imprint a new number on the sidewall. The tire I saw on the Solitude 375RES a few days ago had indeed on the sidewall  --  Westlake 235/85R16 CR960A 132/127L 14PR max pressure 4,400lb @ 110psi load range g.

Clearly the Sailun tires are having that info in their catalog. Was unable to find the Westlake listing for it.

See  http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html

4400 pounds at 110 psi is exactly the same load that Sailun has advertised for their ST235/85R16 tire for as long as I can remember. I've always thought it odd that an "LT" Tire (Goodyear LT235/85R16) of the same size and pressure is rated at 3750 pounds, but I understood that was the nature of the beast when comparing ST tires to LT tires. And one of the reasons for some folks preferring LT tires to ST tires (larger safety margin).

As far as why Westlake took the same  sized tire from 4080 pounds to 4400 pounds based on a "mandate" from the Tire and Rim Association, I don't know. I agree that it sounds odd. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 10/14/2017 at 2:59 AM, Tex Bigfoot said:

Just my opinion and its worth every penny you paid for it.

But Westlake is made in China and should be considered Bombs .

My thoughts are you will be much happier with ether Goodyear G614 or the Hankook ......I think the F-19 in 7.50 x 16.

Regardless I would stay away from anything made china due to the quality 

Erroneous, incorrect - bad info !!  

China is quite capable of manufacturing *quality* tires to the desired specs.

Even Michelin has (two) manufacturing facilities in China (as they do in many other countries).

BTW - remember the notorious *USA* mfg Goodyear Marathons??

>

There is a new RVIA standard (NOT TRA - Tire and Rim Association) that requires tire load capacity to exceed the GAWR by 10% (with some additional details).

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

On 10/17/2017 at 8:37 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would have the selling dealer put Sailun 17.5" on as a part of the deal.  Same diameter, all the load capacity you need.

If I did that, I would have an aftermarket tire dealer like Discount Tire do it. With new wheels and tires would be $1,500-$2,000. I have sent a query to the dealer but I would expect them to say $4,000. As a bonus, I would get a tire like the Sailun S637 S8244381  235/75R17.5 with a load rating of 6,005# @125psi load index 143/141L 75mph speed rating. I'm finally convincing my Better Half that it's all about safety. What with the tires and disc brake upgrade, I'm looking at $4,500. Still carrying around an aluminum crate no matter what 5r we get.

I just upgraded from 16" tires with an E load rating to the Sailun 17.5s with an H rating for our 40ft 5th wheel. I ordered them online and they were delivered mounted and balanced. I will put them on the RV next week. The RV came with E rated GY Marathons, at less than 1500 miles I had a blow out, so I put some Light Truck Michelins on it. Afterwards I decided that was not the way I really wanted to go and opted to the upgrade to the 17.5s. I will move the Michelins to our tow vehicle and try to resale the original Aluminum wheels off our RV. 

Archived