Steer tires weather checking

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a concern about my steer tires on my truck. I was able to meet Mntom (Tom) from Minnesota in northeast Ohio yesterday (8/15). I needed to exercise the truck so I thought why not give Tom a visit and drive the truck. We were looking at the truck and Tom noticed the weather checking on one of the steer tires. I saw it last year starting on the drivers side steer tire. I was going to do something about it then, but I did not know what really to do. Some how I just put it off. I know better then that. I am glad to see that there is another thread talking about steer tires. The following is the info from my tires. Michelin steer XZA3+. Size 275/80 R22.5. Date code 2614. That make the tires 3 years old. But I noticed one tire last year starting to weather check being only 2 years old. What kind of recourse do I have ? Is there anything that I can do besides buying new tires ? If this truck was in commercial service would it past a DOT with tires starting to weather check ? The rear tires are also virgin Michelin that are one more year older then the steers with no problems. What should I do ? Is there anything that I can do ? Will Michelin stand behind there tires ?

Thank you for any kind of info,
Al

PS; For guys looking at Michelin tires you might want to follow this thread.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

It is unusual to have this occur to your age tires.  Please show us photos of the tires.  And contact Michelin and have a Dealer look them over.

My tires are 5+ years old and look like new.

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

13 hours ago, brunsje said:

It is unusual to have this occur to your age tires.  Please show us photos of the tires.  And contact Michelin and have a Dealer look them over.

My tires are 5+ years old and look like new.

JohnnyB

Hi John,

I have a few pictures that I will need to post a little later today. Mntom (Tom) also saw the weather checking. I am glad he made a comment to me. If he wouldn't have I probably would have it skipped my mind again. I know that is not a good thing, skipping over things. Because it is a safety problem. This could be a big lessen learned.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the link. I will get a better chance to look over the information later today. Going home from your camp spot I did run into were it had rained. But no rain at home. I was able to mow after I got home. Hope to met up again.

Hi Everyone,

Please keep the info coming about the tires. I will try to post the pictures of the weather checking later day when I have more time on my hands.

Al

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Mntom said:

Alan, It was a pleasure to meet you yesterday! Thanks for coming!! Anyhow, far as your tires, I found this site that may e of some help. You can contact Michelin here: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/contact.html#

Hi Everyone,

I have used the link above to Michelin. I have sent them an e-mail with my concerns. Now we wait. I can't post any pictures yet because of some reason my camera and computer are not talking to each other.

I was hoping that Big5er (Phil) would see this thread. I asked a question in the opening statement. I was hoping he could answer the question. I will repeat the question again because I asked several questions in the beginning. Would the truck pass a DOT inspection with this type of weather checking on the steer tires ?

Please keep the input coming,
Al

If you look at Michelin tire warranty. Check the last line.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Tires/casings which become unserviceable due to:
– Road hazard injury (e.g., a cut, snag, bruise, impact damage or puncture);
– Incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance, imprope retread or improper repair;
– Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation
overinflation or other abuse resulting in casing damage or fatig
– Accident, fire, chemical corrosion, contamination, tire alterati or vandalism;
– Flat spotting caused by improper storage;
– The addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than ai nitrogen or carbon dioxide;
– Uses other than long haul service for any extended warranty casing claims;
– Uneven or rapid wear caused by mechanical irregularity in the
vehicle such as wheel misalignment, resulting in damage to the under-tread, carcass or steel belts;
Ozone or weather checking.

STORAGE
Tires contain waxes and emollients to protect their outer surfaces from ozone and weather checking. As the tire rolls and flexes, the waxes and emollients continually migrate to the
surface, replenishing this protection throughout the normal use of the tire.

Consequently, when tires sit outdoors, unused for long periods of time (a month or more) their surfaces become dry and more susceptible to ozone and weather checking, and the casing
becomes susceptible to flat spotting.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Hi Everyone,

The following info is my e-mail to Michelin and their answer back to me. I thought you guys might want to take a look at the answer that I received from Michelin. I was surprised how fast their replied back to me. Please keep leaving more comments about this thread. I still can't post a picture or too because the computer and camera are still not talking to each other. Windows 10 had a update a week or too ago and I think the update is part of the problem with the computer and camera. Before that date of the update everything was just fine between the computer and camera. A window would pop up and asked me what I wanted to do. Now there is no window after the update happened.

08/17/2017

Hello Al,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Michelin,

I have a concern about the weather checking on 3 year old front steer tires of my semi truck. I noticed the weather checking starting last year. I own a 2012 Volvo VNL 630. The weather checking is on the first 2 3/8" from the rim. There is no weather checking on the rest of the tire. The following is the info on the tire. 275/80 R22.5;  XZA3+;  Michelin steer; DOT M5 EJ OOEX (2614). The date code being 2614. What needs to be done to resolve this problem ? I have a concern about the front steer tires on this semi.

Regards,
Al Fichter

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We are sorry to hear you are having a tread-cracking issue with your tires.

Tread cracking is commonly related to ozone interaction with rubber, but depending on the severity, it may only be a cosmetic issue that does not affect tire performance or safety.

Ozone or weather-related cracking is not covered under the Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty. However, safety is important to us, so to determine the severity of the cracking, we recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelin tire dealer for an inspection (preferably at the retailer where the tires were purchased).

The dealer is trained to examine the tires and determine if any action is required. After inspecting the tires, the dealer will advise you if the condition requires the tires to be replaced. I will foward this case to a sales rep in your area as they are the only ones who can determine warranty on Semi Truck Tires.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 01-800-062-1492 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Saturday.

Sincerely,

Craig
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

Yearly DOT they can have weatherchecking/ozone cracks within reason, but if you peek inside them you cannot see cords.  Seeing cord = fail.  But it is one of those things where if it makes you go huh? it should probably be changed out.

Also, maybe the truck sat on a flat on that tire for awhile while it was for sale?  Or when it went went out to pasture before going to sale?

Ozone or weather-related cracking is not covered under the Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty. However, safety is important to us, so to determine the severity of the cracking, we recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelin tire dealer for an inspection (preferably at the retailer where the tires were purchased).

Good Year G670's have a 7 year warranty on Ozone or weather-related cracking.
But they do have some rivering problems. That causes no real problem.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived