ATS maintenance

fly2low

Just a friendly reminder to tighten the connections into an ATS. 

Got my reminder today, when the PD50 fried due to a loose connection.  It was an item which was on my yearly maintenance schedule, but was put off because it is in an awkward location.  When quit functioning, it was in a worse location - boondocking on the side of the Henry Fork.  The connection from the generator feed was way loose

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

I like to keep 248 BLUE (stick) 262 RED (liquid) Loctite around.

When installing our ATS and EMS I used 262 on  the lugs. 

Edit....before using Loctite make sure one understands what is involved in removing the fasteners.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Just a tad bit tongue in cheek...

On electrical connections. Clean the contact area well, snug up an even torque per spec (Yep, their is a spec for torquing just about everything:)!). Then just to be safe, either add a second locking nut. Or better, dip the bolt/nut into a plasma arc from the sun to help lock it not place... (Laser electron beams, amplified of course thru a warp capacitor accelerator oscillator, with fusion rapid cooling - is naturally, the best way to ensure a solid connection....).

Loose lips sinks ships. And loose connections messes up electronics!!!!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

11 hours ago, fly2low said:

I tend to use Loctite on most connections, but have been cautioned not to use on electrical connections.

Be interested to know why?

I don't have any but 290 Green but is made for electrical..... maybe it has plasma in it :)

2011 Cameo 34SB3

A couple of reasons given to me not to use Loctite, both of which have credibility.

1.  Torque specs are based on dry contact between surfaces, If Loctite is applied, surfaces are no longer dry, but lubricated until the Loctite solidifies.   I have seen torque tables for "dry" and "wet", but only for very specific indications.

2.  If you are doing due diligence, and check to see if the connection is tight, without Loctite you can tell.  With Loctite you won't know what is causing the resistance to tightening

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

Information for anyone swapping out PD50's

The PD50 that was in my coach was circa 2007.  The new PD50 has the same relays, but the enclosure has been enlarged.  This would have been a major hassle as the old PD50 enclosure was inside of a plastic case mounted inside of a cut out in one of storage compartments.  The new enclosure was too large to fit in the plastic case.  We were able to get the relays out of both enclosures and mount the new relays in the old enclosure.

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

6 hours ago, fly2low said:

A couple of reasons given to me not to use Loctite, both of which have credibility.

1.  Torque specs are based on dry contact between surfaces, If Loctite is applied, surfaces are no longer dry, but lubricated until the Loctite solidifies.   I have seen torque tables for "dry" and "wet", but only for very specific indications.

2.  If you are doing due diligence, and check to see if the connection is tight, without Loctite you can tell.  With Loctite you won't know what is causing the resistance to tightening

Very good reasons....ones back ground make them choose different methods.  Such as alum wire with NO-OX (corrosion paste)  and having wire pull/break away doing simple hand pull test on tight connections.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

9 hours ago, J-T said:

Very good reasons....ones back ground make them choose different methods. 

I worked in electrical repair and maintenance for 40 years and I don't use any of those products. I do use lock nuts where there is room. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just a comment....

1) I do as Kirk does...I don't use Loctite for the reasons stated.

2) you CAN use Loctite on electrical connections, but if you do, I'd use the green. The Green is the flow type. You put it on AFTER torquing and it flows down the threads and locks "later". I'm not recommending that, but it solves any initial torque issue. IMO there is no initial torque issue if you torque during installation. Loctite is not "instant", after all.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hey heres one where many of us agree..............In our huge Naval Industrial Facility I NEVER specified or designed or told our electricians to use loc tite on electrical connections but instead use recommended torque values and undertake periodic inspection, maintenance and adjusting as required.................There were applications where proper and recommended anti oxidants were used.

Consult trained professionals and the NEC if in doubt versus any opinions, lay or professional posted here MINE INCLUDED

John T Retired electrical power distribution design engineer

To check the connections in a PD ATS the 6ga wire and set screw has to removed so the screw connection below it can be checked. Instead of doing this I chose to used thread locker.  I don't keep 290 Green around so I used 262 RED but I have a  tested/fast method to break the connections loose if needed........what's the worst that can happen......a connection goes loose, heats up, causes the 262 to release....then it can be tightened...call me :wacko: 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

So I'm  looking at the ATS today and realized that I didn't think it through. 

My concern about the screw connection coming loose under the lug was dumbfounded.

If the lug it tight  (pushing the wire into the screw) there is no way that the screw connection can come loose. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

JT thanks for the feedback that's appreciated.

Those darn connection problems I experienced at our huge naval industrial facility were due to temp differences and expansion and contraction so obviously the outdoor electricals were the most problematic. That's why I instructed mush more inspection and maintenance there versus our heated buildings. A good regular scheduled visual inspection and tightening as/if required can prevent so many problems ESPECIALLY in outdoor installations. 

Keep em tight lol

Best wishes, yall keep electrically safe now

John T

Archived