Consumer Reports pulls recommendation for Microsoft Surface laptops

Zulu

• 2 weeks later...

I had to put up with a hot back upper right side and then before the one year warranty ran out I swapped it in and got a defective one that had a yellow stripe down one side all the time. I called them and they sent another.  No big hassle but they sure have dell beat. I have had the Venue 11 Pro in once for serious issues with charging and the big expensive XPS 2720 was replaced three times. and they messed up and sent it back with Windows home when I bought a Pro version so they had to0 fix that remotely and I just gave up and used my last Windows Pro 8 License to upgrade it to pro. It has been bulletproof since and the five years of warranty run out next November. I have had no issues with any HP or Lenovo systems, or my Fire tablets. ASUS has been great in some ways but not as slim, light. plasticky but keeps on like the energizer bunny.

Microsoft is fast on warranty turn around times and with system images easy to set back up as originally. No hassle warranty returns and fast service. There are few tablets that can touch the Surface lineup, especially the hybrids which MS got perfectly with the typecovers and pens.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dennis, read this from the article:

" That finding applies to Microsoft devices with detachable keyboards, such as the new Surface Pro and the Surface Book, in addition to Surface laptops with clamshell designs. "

They've gotten much better in the last year.

What confuses is that like Apple stopped numbering the iPhone and are now trying to get by with just iPhone, Microsoft is just calling the Surface Pro the Surface Pro. I guess when they make newer models we will see what they do. Right now the Surface Pro is the Surface Pro 5 technically. The surface Book is the laptop that can also be a tablet but with a matching metal keyboard.

Microsoft did that with Windows RT and Windows 8, and on and on. THey need to get a bit more clear.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

BIg warning! I just looked through all the ads and found several really good prices on the Pro and the regular 10.8" surface tablets. However, some of them come with Windows 8 or 8.1. If you decide to upgrade to Windows 10, it is another $199.99 for Windows 10 Pro. I got a Windows 10 Pro OEM last week for $71.00 on Amazon on DVD. Worked great. Yes I am very happy with it. I will buy the Surface Pro 4 or the newest Surface Pro in a few years. Remember I bought it brand new sealed in the box for $500 back when it was new from a store closeout. It was retailing for $999.99 at the time.

But yes I am tickled with it. But the lighter weight, smaller borders, thumb and face recognition hardware, and thinner profile mean I will get the newer model when the older models are being clearanced out, or buy the Microsoft refurbished with the full year warranty to upgrade to the next one. Just bear in mind you need to check a refurb out thoroughly as soon as you receive it because returns take a week or so, if needed. If you are paying full retail or do not have the patience to wait, then you can expand your search to all brands. There are some nice new models out there that are in the $799-899 range that are even better values at full price.

If you are buying refurbished make sure it is a 1 year manufacturer's warranty from Microsoft. I see Surface Pro 3s "used" in excellent condition for as little as $250. eBay has seller refurbished units that price as well and you get a 90 day warranty.  Don't forget Craigslist locally wherever you are and Facebook yard sales.

If you are going to buy one the i5/4GB/128GB like mine is fine. if you are going to do video editing get the i7 256GB RAM model. They only have one full size USB3 port so plan to get a good powered USB hub with at least 4 ports if you are going to use an external DVD burner with two cables one for data and one for power. If it replaces a laptop used local may be the best bet as many of them hardly used theirs or like me just in the evenings when watching TV. As well buying from the owner used you will usually get their typecover (keyboard) Pen and nice cases or other accessories. Mine has a glass screen protector I have yet to install. Using it as my desktop replacement last year during my back surgery, where Roger from here was my surgical buddy, it surprised me at how fast I forgot I was on a tablet. I never use the typecover at home. I have a desktop for that.

Oh! and the typecover for the Surface 4 is compatible with the Surface 3. Microsoft has discontinued the Surface 3 so it is less confusing when talking about the Surface tablets. New all Surface tablets are Surface Pro. There are still a lot of Surface tablets used out there.

Here is a new Surface (not Pro) for 369 new with the full 1 year warranty from Microsoft:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-10-8-Inch-Windows/dp/B012DTDI2C

That Surface is a 4g Verizon model as well. Verizon will have to activate in a store. Read the reviews.

Here is the originally over $120 docking station for the Surface 3 only not the Pro for 20 bucks new:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Docking-Station-compatible-GJ3-00001/dp/B00VGJI1RS/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PMKG2PR68KNNR2VMPQDH

So if anyone has a Surface I'd snatch the dock.

Here is a local to me Surface Pro 4 with Typecover for $400. https://shreveport.craigslist.org/sys/d/microsoft-surface-pro-4/6253869212.html

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived