AC screwing up

Hi my Dometic duo-therm 15K is having issues.  The compressor kicked on all by itself but not the fan. I shut breaker off and turned back on and it was fine but somwhere along the line it tried again and dumped my breaker., This was with thermostat in off position.

So I set thermostat so it would come on and fan and compressor ran and cooled things right down, but then I moved thermostat so that it would shut down / The fan shut off but compressor kept running until I shut off the breaker.

My thinking is this unit is12 yrs old and my thoughts are a new thermostat. Its a duotherm that controls AC and central heat. What are your thoughts on this and if the thermostat can I replace it with a digital or should I go with OEM or pull it off the wall and blow some dust out of it. Sure glad it only gets to 85 here !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Open the thermostat up and spray inside with electrical cleaner.
Especially the temp adjustment slide if it is not digital. 

And you can replace it with a digital one if that doesn't work.

That worked on mine to make the thermostat last several more months.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

My reaction is the same as Vern's. The thermostat only sends a signal to indicate that the temperature is either above or below the set point. The controls for starting the blower and compressor are part of the air conditioner. You probably have the old style of Dometic thermostat.

3106995.032.jpg.thumb_prod_infoprod_info 

They are quite available and cost a bit more than $30 and are easy to replace so you could try it without spending too much, but I'll be surprised if it helps. If it were me, I'd visit Bryant RV website and download a copy of the manuals for both your thermostat and your air conditioner and study those before I went too far.  I'm thinking that this manual will cover what you need and the trouble shooting for the system you probably have starts on page 102. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I see in parts a dinosaur and relay board are these inside up on top ? gonna try Bikers fix with contact cleaner to day and if that works will probably order a new thermostat... I had the problem before where nothing would work and between working slider and wiggling fuses it started working again. My lids on ACs are getting brittle too guess its time to replace those two, wonder what the odds are of getting those shipped to me without getting broke ? I should be able to test the thermostat with my Fluke meter right ?

I can get by with bedroom AC up here but I prefer the other one when I crawl in bed...lots quieter

Jim Spence

When mine did that it was the control board in the ac unit

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

6 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

I should be able to test the thermostat with my Fluke meter right ?

For both voltage and resistance readings, the answer is yes but you need to use the trouble shooting guide that I mentioned from Bryant RV in order to know what to look for. It just depends on what control center your RV has, how much of it you will be able to check. 

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

For both voltage and resistance readings, the answer is yes but you need to use the trouble shooting guide that I mentioned from Bryant RV in order to know what to look for. It just depends on what control center your RV has, how much of it you will be able to check. 

Where do I find the PC board above the face plate or under the cover on the roof and as I recall serial # is under face plate. Now if I was a Dr I could fix this with the motor running:unsure::blink:. I need to order parts w/o shutting AC off, as the sun goes down I can switch to bedroom AC The living room I have to use breaker to shut down. Anybody have a good source for a replacement PC board ?

Jim Spence

2 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Where do I find the PC board above the face plate or under the cover on the roof and as I recall serial # is under face plate. Now if I was a Dr I could fix this with the motor running:unsure::blink:. I need to order parts w/o shutting AC off, as the sun goes down I can switch to bedroom AC The living room I have to use breaker to shut down. Anybody have a good source for a replacement PC board ?

Just Google ' Dometic duo-therm AC circuit board'  . Take your choice . 

When our AC ( Duo Therm ) went haywire , I pulled the circuit board from inside the 'control' box ( located just above the interior shroud ) . I simply replaced the relay on that board . Cost me less than 10 bucks , as opposed to $90+ for the complete board , which looked good otherwise . Of course , the replacement requires a little soldering .

Here's the relay I replaced the original one with :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potter-Brumfield-T9AS1D22-12-30A-relay-240VAC-30-amps-240-volts-SPST-NO-/121800223629?epid=667260745&hash=item1c5bdbeb8d:g:T9AAAOSwjDZYhQKg

BTW , our AC works just fine ever since . :)

Goes around , comes around .

11 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Where do I find the PC board above the face plate or under the cover on the roof and as I recall serial # is under face plate.

If it is like the units that I have worked on, after you remove the inside cover you will see a metal box that has a removable cover and the electronic controls are inside of that. Remove the cover and you should be able to see what you are looking for. 

Pete is correct that is it probably only 1 of the relays so if you are comfortable doing that, you could replace only the bad relay. If not, changing the entire circuit board will cost less than a service call from a tech would cost. 

6 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

If it is like the units that I have worked on, after you remove the inside cover you will see a metal box that has a removable cover and the electronic controls are inside of that. Remove the cover and you should be able to see what you are looking for. 

Pete is correct that is it probably only 1 of the relays so if you are comfortable doing that, you could replace only the bad relay. If not, changing the entire circuit board will cost less than a service call from a tech would cost. 

Yes the whole board sounds good to me and then if I feel like tinkering with the old one I can sell it to Pete n Pat when his soldering job blows  Got a CPR class this morning and then campers so maybe tomorrow be able to look at it. I must be really slowing down this 5hr per day seems to stretch into a very super long day !

Jim Spence

1 hour ago, Devilishjim said:

Yes the whole board sounds good to me and then if I feel like tinkering with the old one I can sell it to Pete n Pat when his soldering job blows  Got a CPR class this morning and then campers so maybe tomorrow be able to look at it. I must be really slowing down this 5hr per day seems to stretch into a very super long day !

Ha . I'll let you 'give' me your old board , so I can replace what needs . Then I'll 'sell' it back to you as a spare .. :D

My soldering will not blow . Too many times soldering components on computer boards and such , using silver solder has taught me well enough . 

But yeah , unplugging the old board and plugging the new one in is maybe 5 minutes easier . ;) 

And , there's only a single relay on that board , so there's no chance of confusion . Am I giving away too many secrets ? LOL

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 months later...

I installed a new board and my ac compressor still wants to run AC friend came and looked at it and seems I got a defective board. Is it possible I switch the two wires going to relay and would that cause the problem ? Can I switch those two wires too see if that would rectify my problem ?  Growing old isnt easy !

Jim Spence

Archived