Military family considering doing full time

snickl

Hello from an Air Force retiree!

Something to think about - if you are going to park the RV and not move it during your assignment, then consider not getting a tow vehicle at all. You can hire people to move your RV from one location to the next one and the military should pay for the cost. Also, get a fifth wheel and not a motor coach. The motors like to be exercised and it not good to have them sit without being using for long periods of time. Also, the fifth wheel will give you a lot of living space.

In the list of places you could be assigned, there are some in the north. Be sure to make a 4 season RV a priority and even with that, you will be paying a lot in the winter in propane costs.

Go for quality even if you have to get an older RV to stay within your budget. If you purchase a used one, try and get all maintenance records so you know if it has been well cared for.

I've got to disagree about buying a "four-season" RV; that only means you can travel in it during the four seasons, not live in it full-time without some discomfort. I would buy a 5er built for full-time living, they are structurally heavier-built, with more insulation in all areas, dual-pane windows,etc. More insulation is not only for cold weather, it does the same job in hot weather, which is maintaining the interior temperature regardless of outside temperature, which equates to healthier living. The bottom-below the floor is well insulated, some with electric heat pads on the plumbing there to prevent freezing in practically any temperatures in the lower 48.

I've lived in both for extended periods. First was a 1-ton dually truck and 40' 5er, now a 40' MH towing a car or pickup. Using a dually truck for a daily driver is not easy or convenient these days.

I agree with the suggestion to have a 5er moved for PCS' by a trailer moving company. The base will have knowledge of that. Then you can buy a small vehicle or keep your present transportation for a daily driver.

A 5er has more usable interior space than the same size MH, and more floorplan options for a family.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've got to disagree about buying a "four-season" RV; that only means you can travel in it during the four seasons, not live in it full-time without some discomfort. I would buy a 5er built for full-time living, they are structurally heavier-built, with more insulation in all areas, dual-pane windows,etc

Both of these terms are valid, only in theory or conversation. The problem is that the RV industry has no enforced standards for what either of those terms mean. It is just this sort of issue which makes the help of the RV Consumer Group so very valuable. The RV industry has very carefully avoided any type of industry standard for terminology and most of the standards that they have instituted have been created more as an effort to keep government standard setting like the housing industry has or the federal highway safety standards out of RV manufacturing. Thus far they have been very successful and while some of that may have been good for the buying public, it is also one of the main reasons that quality control remains so lacking throughout the industry. Any RV manufacturer can claim that his RV is built for "4 season use" and then make up his own definition for what that means and to some extent that same thing is true for the term "full-time" RV. Before the creation of the RVCG there were no type classifications in use to help a new RV buyer compare across the price/quality range and even today there is no clear standard in the industry that is common to all manufacturers.

One of the most interesting features to me of this entire issue has been to pay attention to which RV manufacturers support the RVCG, and which ones try to negate anything from them. The manufacturers who consistently build a quality RV and who correct the problems that do get through are the some ones who will suggest that you use the RVCG guides, while those who degrade the organization will have good reason also. In my opinion, the very best standard to use in calling an RV any particular type classification is the one from RV Consumer Group's site on this link. If you read this it will give you some guidance but to get full benefit you really need to join their organization. It does cost to join because the RVCG does not accept any financial support from any part of the RV industry, in an effort to make sure that financial contribution will not impact the ratings given to an RV.

If you do use the advice and standards from the RVCG, you will find that most of the differences between their Snowbird category and the Fulltime category is in the interior quality. We lived for 12 years in a "Snowbird" RV and it worked out very well for us, but it also did show the wear more than one from the fulltimer group would have done. There is nothing to say that one can't be a fulltimer in any RV that is out there, but as you go lower in the quality hierarchy you will find that you spend more time and money on repairs and the wear of daily living will show more quickly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've done some research and it looks like our most likely option that would work best is a larger truck better suited for towing, maybe a F250? and a 5th wheel. I considered the Class As as well, but we'd need a second car for both of us to go to work. I'm a RN and shouldn't have a ton of trouble finding work as we move around, and otherwise we'll be based at or around his duty stations, living hopefully in the same place for 3+ years at a time.

Those duty stations are Bethesda, MD, Jacksonville NC or FL, Portsmouth VA, Pensacola FL, San Antonio TX, San Diego CA, 29 Palms CA, or Bremerton, WA. His job is very specific and pretty based only around the major Naval medicine complexes. Having gone overseas it's highly, highly unlikely we'd have to deal with that again.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The scope of what your thinking about doing is so large, many aspects will require extensive research and planning. I’m just going to give short recommendations of things to start doing.
My information comes from traveling all 48 connected states in a 38” 5th wheel hauled by a dually diesel truck. That was our only home for more than 5 years.
We are a retired military couple and have access to military campgrounds. We have stayed at many of them from NH to CA and ND to the TX gulf coast. Some will allow what is called “homesteaders” but not very many and probably none in your desired locations. Here is a link to a very popular military campground WWW site. It’s operated by a retired USAF MSG, It’s well maintained and has all the need to know information. I recommend you become familiar with CGs in areas you expect to be assigned. The USAF call them FAMCAMPS. The other services normally call them RV Parks/Campgrounds.
The accumulation of “stuff” normally presents families with children a sometimes insurmountable weight problem. Even with another truck used to haul a large storage area for the stuff will eventually also become overloaded.
Civilian campgrounds will often times allow another temporary dwelling (tent) to be erected on your parking site at no additional cost. It’s a very popular option in warm weather. Normally those same CGs will have bathroom facilities with hot water, showers, bathrooms and washer dryer rentals.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

A nephew of mine is a jr enlisted Marine. He, his wife, and 9 yr old son live in a 5er at a civilian campground in the Florida panhandle. They have been doing it for over a year.

He works on a USAF base. They choose to live off base so they can use civilian medical facilities instead of base docs. His wife works from home and home schools their son. She has a good paying telecommuting job.

It works well for them, but they are 3 in a 5er. You have a larger brood.

We are AD also currently stationed overseas (Korea) and have been preparing to go full time RVing for the past year. As you can imangine, with 29 years TIS, I'm tired of packing and repacking and unpacking. Searching for living quarters, etc..... So I purchased a very good conditoned Airstream 31' travel trailer back in December. The TT was purchased near my sister in Mesa, AZ, so I did a POA so she could be my rep in the purchasing process and she also is storing it for us. I PCS in a few weeks. The day after I fly into AZ, I'll fly to UT to purchase F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L powerstroke diesel truck to haul my AS. I done massive research on hitch and gone with the ProPride 3P 1400. My Children are grown and have their own families, but this new lifestyle will be a perfect match for me. I'm taking my time (56 days) to arrive at my next duty station at Fort Leonard Wood, MO in October. I expect to learn as I go. My sister who is a retired over the road truck driver on big semi-trucks will privide me a week train up on hauling trailers, backing and all that. Would have loved to attend one of the RV classes, but nothing is available in my location or dates available. Go for it. I am still down sizing with HHG coming in only a few shorts weeks (more like days). Go for it and enjoy all the feedom that comes with full time RVing.

post-55626-0-12116300-1469852971_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums Nana.

Re-tired AF Here. Nice Airstream you have there. (I typed AS like you did but that could be construed differently than intended :o ) I doubt you will have any problems with the amount of research you've done. We retired at my age 45, moved directly into a 36 foot fiver, and did 7 years of fulltime traveling. NO regrets.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 5 weeks later...

If you attempt a RV loan with USAA (or other banks and credit unions) as a full timer, be aware you will likely have to educate them on the patriot act (they will tell you no loans for full timers).

It's the CIP (Customer Identification Program) rule (31 C.F.R. 103.121), which is the regulation implementing Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act that requires a financial institution to get the following customer information (bottom of page 480 from PDF above):

(1) Name;
(2) Date of birth, for an individual;
(3) Address, which shall be:
(i) For an individual, a residential or business street address;
(ii) For an individual who does not have a residential or business street address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, ***********or the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual;********************

​Invoke the next of kin exemption, bump up through supervision and management until you reach someone who can over ride the generic patriot act stonewall.

Dan - SKP club member

Archived