Nitrogen in tires..something occurred to me

OK, off-topic a bit. Aircraft tires question. Last week the news talking head said airplanes were being diverted from Phoenix airport because it was too hot to land.

I know very little about aircraft, but that sounds questionable to me. If true, would that be because of the tire pressure expansion rate upon landing?

From Condé Nast Traveler:

"It's actually extreme heat that causes the most challenges: not so much to a plane's mechanical abilities to fly as to its impact on the air around the plane. Heat creates thinner air, which means it doesn't have enough density to give the plane enough lift to take off or land. The heat also limits the plane's ability to climb properly, and the heavier the aircraft—the more people and luggage on it—the more impaired it becomes."

It's So Hot Some Planes Can't Fly

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I am cheap but want my tires full of nitrogen anyway and I have a crafty plan to get there without parting with any of my money.

Given:

Nitrogen leaks through rubber tires slower than oxygen.

Air is 78% nitrogen.

So I'm filling my tires with regular air and letting the oxygen leak out. As it leaks I refill with plain compressed air. As time passes most of the oxygen will leak out and since I'm only adding 21% oxygen as I refill the tires will keep getting closer and closer to pure nitrogen.

:rolleyes:

You're a wily devil! I think I'll do it the same way. Oh, wait. I have been. ;)

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2016 at 9:28 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because they operate from +100 degrees on the ground to -70 degrees in the air. And aircraft tires are subject to blowouts and fires on landing since Nitrogen doesn't burn.

Also, aircraft servicing requires tires filled with dry gas to prevent moisture build up.  The only dry gas source on airfields I've seen is the standard nitrogen servicing cart. Mentioned by NDH as well.

Jet engines (gas turbines) are derated in power a lot with high ambients.  I spent a lot of time with cooling systems to cool the inlet to gas turbine powered generators.  The benefit of cooling the inlet air far exceeds the cost and power of the cooling system for the increased power of the turbine.  The problem in the summer in high temperature areas is that the engine does not develop full power.  The other part is the hot air is thinner and the planes wing does not have sufficient lift to lift the load.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Archived