Got Windows 10? I do now.

RV_

OK I decided to go ahead and load Windows 10 on my older Toshiba test bed laptop. I am using Windows Edge browser and see no real difference in use from IE 11 as far as intuitively using it without reading the directions. This laptop has an AMD quad core A6 processor, I added a Samsung Evo 3D SSD 256GB, and still have not taken the time to go over to my bud's store and swap out some RAM overstock I still have for matched RAM stix for this system to go to the max 8GB RAM.

This Windows 7 unit was set up on a local account and that carried over to the Win 10 upgrade. I turned off all the reporting and was not required to log in with a Windows account. I have this set up for sale so no personal info and no saved usernames and passwords.

Windows 10 took about ten minutes to download at my home speed of 50 mbps. Windows 10 took another hour to finish installing and then a few minutes to configure for me. I configured the name of this computer as Owner and the other laptop prepped for sale Owner 1. That way I can keep images of each and reload them later if needed. I was tickled to see that Windows 7 Backup and restore center is still there in control panel and system image is there too!

So far no issues. However I went to try and find Windows update to manually check and can't find it yet.

Like the updates from Win 8 to 8.1 it appears there were no issues carrying over the programs and data with it. I have these loaded with Libre Office, CCleaner, VLC media player, etc.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

WU is not available with the Win 10 Start Menu as it is pushed automatically. To actually see WU as a selectable option you can add a Start Menu replacement app, such as Classic Shell or Start8. I have these set up so that the Windows Key opens the Win 10 Start Menu. I prefer the CP as a Menu Option using the replacement Start Menu. I do have the CP pinned to the Taskbar viewed as small icons, but just do not like that as much.

The biggest issue I have with Edge is the lack of add-0n support. My Lastpass has to be opened in a separate window, signed in, then searched for the necessary PW to copy/paste to the Log In section of the web page. This is a problem in my mind. Work around is to allow Edge to store PWs, but certain PWs are not stored. Edge does not offer to save PWs for banking and credit card sites.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Actually, on Windows 10, tap the notification icon at the right side of the lower bar, then tap settings and your windows to open the update and security dialogue box. It will show your updates as current. When you click on check for updates they will check and download without further participation. It looks like there is no information as to the content of the updates, BUT, if you place your cursor over any update it will give you a dialogue box explaining the particular download.

Ron

Ron, Linda & Finn Dog
Sticks 'n' Bricks

I'm using Windows /10 HP on my Gateway NE522 and AMD A4 processor; as it was downgraded for Wi/8 to Windows 7 HP. I upgrade it to 8 GB of ram and a 1 TB. HD. I am surprised that there isn't smoke coming from the inside as it screams. Win/10 has been downloading updates and it is working well. :D:D

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Mine is very fast but it is old enough to have only SATA 1 speeds not SATA 2 or 3. It is not a keeper I refurbished it and is going to be sold later. It is only my learning bed. I also have images of it with both the fully up to date Win 7 original image and am about to do one with Windows 10. I also did the SSD because I kept the 250 GB original rust drive fully loaded and up to date with Windows 7. So it can be sold as a Windows 10 unit, a Windows 7 unit, with a hard drive or SSD.

I did encounter a problem where the first attempt to install 10 failed with a an error message that it could not update system reserved partition. I downloaded a free partition program and extended the 100MB .data partition from 100MB to 500 MB stealing from the C partition and it went perfectly. Then when I ran Windows 10 install again it worked fine. This error happens most often when a hard drive has been cloned and installed after the original drive was replaced. I found the solution on YouTube and the guy has a Norwegian accent but does show the free program for personal use that works as well as partition magic in the old days. He already extended his that he uses to show how to do it. Anyway I'd not heard about MiniTool Partition Wizard Free, but it had great reviews in PC magazine etc. so I used it. Here is the You tube video showing how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzsjLAQP_0 And here is the free tool homepage: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

For those of you that haven't switched to 10 yet, but have recently cloned and changed the drive/s, you will likely need to do this. I suspect if the folks doing all the USN USB sticks and .iso images to workaround the error, and have put in a new drive cloned in it, SSD or another hard drive or hybrid, and try it, they just might have solved it with this free tool and tip. In any case I would recommend those who do use Partition tools to give it a try. For noobs you just open the partition program, select the partition, in this case the .data partition, by clicking on it in the wizard, then select extend from the menu on the left, then use the slider to choose as close as you can to 500MB or a bit more if necessary increase of the partition. Then hit apply at the top and then choose to reboot and it will resize the partition automagically.

Tuck that away so if anyone you know here or elsewhere runs into that error they can fix it. If anyone recently replaced a drive they need to just extend the .data partition from 100 to five hundred or close as long as it is no less than 400MB.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Here is another unsolicited testimonial for Mini-Tool Partition Wizard. I have been using the free version for years. It has always done the job and never had a problem. I tried numerous partitioning programs after the demise of Partition Magic and finally found a keeper.

Safe Travels...

Edit: I use the boot CD and do NOT run the program from within Windows...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

So far no issues. However I went to try and find Windows update to manually check and can't find it yet.

In app find the "Settings" and pin it to your task bar. Then under Windows update you can check for any new up dates. Even Defender updates are there.

Classic Shell works great with W10 :) In fact CS had a new update for it today.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Thanks guys I'll give it a try when next I turn that one on. We had an issue with an inspector showing up yesterday evening and it turns out the electrical contractor did not pull a permit. Then tried to say I had to pull it when that was not the contract. Got the owner to straighten them out. The subs pull the contracts as needed not the homeowner unless specified in the contract.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Yes, WU is available in settings, but NOT on the Win 10 Start Menu.

I have used Partition Wizard for years from within Windows and never had a problem I did not create myself.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Archived