OMG Don't register an RV in Arizona

hbjoe3

But you probably pay more in income taxes and other taxes than residents of Arizona. And while I think universal health care is great and wish we had it here, it is not free. TNSTAAFL - we all pay for the services we want in different ways in different states/countries.

Barb

And it makes sense to take a state's taxing method to decide a domicile. Arizona doesn't seem like a good selection for a full time RVer. Paying a high registration fee doesn't seem like much of a trade for low real estate taxes when you don't own real estate. Arizona seems like a better state to visit than to live.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

But bad mouthing a state because you don't agree with their taxing policy and yet they are EXTREMELY lenient about letting you stay 7 months before having to register vehicles seems a little harsh. No one suggested that Arizona was great for fulltimers - already have 3 states that are good for fulltimers. And I took the OP's comments on the fact that they had moved here - presumably to a S&B so there must be some reason for the move that was advantageous to them. They didn't mention being fulltimers. If they are then somewhere they got bad information as I have never, ever seen someone suggest Arizona as a domicile for fulltimers.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb, that is exactly what I will do. Remain a TX resident and use AZ for my winter home....maybe.....

thats what we are just doing now. having a winter home in AZ but maintaining our TX domicile. As long as we are here less than 7 months out of the year, and don't work here, we should be fine.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Just FYI for all the Arizona slammers....If you are an Az resident, that Vehicle License Tax is tax deductible on your return, and some counties do not require a smog check every 2 years. Not to mention, low price, excellent, Nation wide health insurance, low property taxes, low insurance rates, etc.

There are quite a few advantages of domiciling in Az.

Tex, California and Arizona are reciprocity States, so if you paid sales tax on the coach in Ca, you do not pay again in Az. The registration reduces by 16% a year. When we registered our last coach, they went by our Bill of Sale, not the MSRP. Your DL is good till 65 for a one time fee of $10, and after 65, it is good for 5 years.

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

I wish it were that cheap in Maine. The first year to register, it is $24 per thousand MSRP. Our MSRP was $387,000. Each year it goes down, but it hits very hard.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

Karen,

Watch for the plethora of comments now on how awful Maine is - - obviously there are other advantageous reasons that you stay residents. I figure the people in each state pressure their legislators to come up with a combination of taxes/fees/licenses that give the state enough money to operate and that the state residents can tolerate. And not everyone will be happy, but at least they make adjustments in order to live there. As visitors to those states, we should enjoy what the state has to offer and remember our guest manners. :D

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Karen,

Watch for the plethora of comments now on how awful Maine is - - obviously there are other advantageous reasons that you stay residents. I figure the people in each state pressure their legislators to come up with a combination of taxes/fees/licenses that give the state enough money to operate and that the state residents can tolerate. And not everyone will be happy, but at least they make adjustments in order to live there. As visitors to those states, we should enjoy what the state has to offer and remember our guest manners. :D

Barb

...and I'm sure all of the states appreciate your vigorous defense of their taxing policies! :rolleyes:

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

10% in 17 yrs. isn't that bad. The property taxes I paid in Louisiana on my S&B would exceed 25% of my home's value in those same 17 years - that is if it was appraised fairly. Mine was not. At least a motor vehicle depreciates - so its taxable value drops as it ages, whereas a home typically appreciates (at least on your tax assessment it does) causing your annual property taxes to increase with the passing of time. That's why I am no longer a home owner. If you don't like the RV tax rate in a state, well your RV has wheels and there are more tax friendly states out there. In Louisiana there are very low vehicle registration fees, though our insurance (both vehicle and homeowner) costs are some of the highest in the nation. Here one can buy a new home every 30 years for what they pay in both homeowner's insurance and property taxes during that time. Good luck moving your S&B to a more tax friendly state when they decide to double or triple your property taxes (or raise them 1,000% like they did mine) or a hurricane comes through and they double your homeowner's insurance (like they did mine) - even though you didn't submit a claim (notice I didn't say my home wasn't damaged). Almost all who did submit claims found their policy dropped and their coverage transferred to an assigned risk pool, and forced to pay 4-5 times what they were used to. But as Roseanne Roseannadanna's Nana used to say "It's always something!"

Chip

...and I'm sure all of the states appreciate your vigorous defense of their taxing policies! :rolleyes:

Why would anyone complain about something that doesn't affect them? I would hope that we are all good guests when we visit different states.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Just updated the 5ers registration in Alaska. The fee was $50 for two years. If you don't renew online the cost is $10 more if you go to DMV in person.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

It's really pretty simple. AZ is a great state in which to live. Overall taxes are amongst the lowest in the nation. If you are looking for a state to domicile as a full-time RVer it ain't the place to be. You just can't look at one specific tax and make an informed decision. We will always welcome you as visitors...come and spend the winter...

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Earl,

We love the winters here. And one day when we can no longer get the MH in gear, this will be a place for us. Upper 80s tomorrow and off to the Scottsdale Arts fair plus a stop at the Sugar Bowl! :wub:

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Our 2012 Hitch Hiker cost 100k and the first year registration in Arizona was $1253 and this year (4th year) it was $760. Additionally our cost of living reduced drastically after moving for Las Vegas. As an example our vehicle insurance dropped exactly 50%. As to income tax it works out to about 3 to 4 % of you federal tax.

Yes we bought a S&B in AZ and love the state. just a little sticker shock since I thought CA had high tag rates.

Obviously you haven't moved much in your life. After living in 9 different states in 40 years, there was always something about the new state that completely baffled, floored us, in terms of taxes/insurance/etc. Huge increase in homeowners insurance when we moved to Lawton, OK. Turns out everyone put WOOD shingles on the homes - which dried out during the hot & windy Oklahoma summers and they had LOTS of roof damage and fires. When code was changed and wood shingles no longer met code, homeowners insurance rates started to fall.

I assume that you had a car or two which also had to be registered? Same rates apply to them, yet no outrage?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It is a declining balance type of personal property tax.

If you had a vehicle with MSRP of $100,000 here is what it would like like over a number of years - notice that it declines 16.5% in value each year:

Year Value 60% of value Vehicle Tax

1 $100,000.00 $60,000.00 $1,734.00

2 $83,500.00 $50,100.00 $1,447.89

3 $69,722.50 $41,833.50 $1,208.99

4 $58,218.29 $34,930.97 $1,009.51

5 $48,612.27 $29,167.36 $842.94

6 $40,591.25 $24,354.75 $703.85

7 $33,893.69 $20,336.21 $587.72

8 $28,301.23 $16,980.74 $490.74

9 $23,631.53 $14,178.92 $409.77

10 $19,732.33 $11,839.40 $342.16

11 $16,476.49 $9,885.90 $285.70

12 $13,757.87 $8,254.72 $238.56

13 $11,487.82 $6,892.69 $199.20

14 $9,592.33 $5,755.40 $166.33

15 $8,009.60 $4,805.76 $138.89

16 $6,688.01 $4,012.81 $115.97

17 $5,584.49 $3,350.69 $96.84

We're doing the same type of calculation and thinking about AZ as a permanent location and see why everyone keeps their vehicles a long time.

Barb

Here is the link to the AZ gov site which explains HOW the tax is calculated, which is of great help, especially when set up on a spreadsheet.

http://azdot.gov/media/blog/posts/2012/08/29/how-are-my-az-vehicle-registration-fees-calculated-

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Another advantage to AZ is we usually have some of the lowest fuel prices in the nation. Overall, it is a great place to live, provided you are not in or near Phoenix. Vehicle registration is not pleasant, one of the reasons I still have my 97 Honda Civic. This year it will be $20 fee and has hit bottom, it will go no lower. My ten year old truck on the other hand still costs me $103 dollars this year. But as stated, property is cheap, property taxes are half what I was paying 23 years ago in Penna., so I think I will stay. We love snowbirds, come and visit.

Archived