Jonathan55

Dish while Boondocking

9 posts in this topic

I have a 12v TV, a 211z with hard drive and a playmaker. I pretty new to boondocking and sometimes watch movies on my laptop if I in someplace like a Walmart where there is not much to see. I sometimes stay on a friends land without hookups. I was wondering if it is possible to use the dish? No or Playmaker dish but with receiver and hard drive without running the generator?

Is it a crazy idea? The laptop is fine but I'm just wondering what others do?

Thanks for any thoughts?

It is easy to do, but it will require an inverter large enough to power the 120 volt items you want to run and a large enough battery bank to allow you to run them for the length of time you wish.

In your case, running a dish box and small entertainment center items could be done with a smaller point of use inverter.  Two or maybe four six volt deep cycle golf cart batteries should be plenty for a few hours of TV a day (depending on how often you will have access to a charging source).

A power audit of the specific items you want to run will give you a more exact answer to your question.

My 32" LED TV only pulls about 2-3 amps of 12V DC (through the inverter) but the receiver pulls 7-8 amps of DC.  You also need to add in 1-4 amps used by the inverter, depending on the size and brand of inverter.   Bottom line is that when running my TV through satellite (Dish network) I am using about 13-15 amps DC.   The simplest setup would be to buy a 300-400 watt inverter and wire it to the battery and then run an extension cord from the inverter to the TV & receiver. 

Thanks for the great answers! I'll look into inverters! I saw an inexpensive 300 watt one on Amazon and I'll try that.

1 hour ago, Jonathan55 said:

Thanks for the great answers! I'll look into inverters! I saw an inexpensive 300 watt one on Amazon and I'll try th

It would be well worth your time to check these people out.  Good quality stuff, good prices, good people that will gladly help when you call with a question(s).

http://www.donrowe.com/

Edited by jc2

On 7/5/2017 at 5:38 PM, jc2 said:

It would be well worth your time to check these people out.  Good quality stuff, good prices, good people that will gladly help when you call with a question(s).

http://www.donrowe.com/

Thanks! I will check it out! I'm RV shopping at the moment and that's a whole other topic :)

Keep in mind some electronics will no operate on a modified sine wave inverter.  Any thing digital will most likely burn up.

10 hours ago, Retiredin1993 said:

Keep in mind some electronics will no operate on a modified sine wave inverter.  Any thing digital will most likely burn up.

This is just not correct. While some items may be affected running on a modified sine wave inverter, saying all digital items will burn up 0r not work is totally wrong. Yes, some items don't like modified sine wave. But we have used one for 15 years to run our TV's, entertainment systems, satellite receivers, refrigerators, microwaves, DVD players and a host of other items. Some are still functioning today. Some small battery chargers will not work on a modified sine wave. While it is better to get a pure sine wave inverter, both can work. Chuck

We have a modified sine wave inverter in our rig.  Would have preferred a true sine wave, but that's what the rig came with.  We run our satellite receiver on it with no problems (we spend most of our time boondocking, so the receiver very seldom sees power from a pedestal).  We also use it to charge phones and laptops without a problem. 

We do not use the inverter to run the refrigerator or microwave...the refrigerator runs on propane and, if we need to use the microwave, we turn on the generator.