Can I Not Use Chrome on Windows 10?

theeyres

Long story short, my Macbook finally gave up the ghost so bought a new HP with Windows 10.Just can't afford a new Mac as about all I do is roam around the Internet. I have Chrome on all my other devices as the preferred browser. Everything sincs, etc., etc. I've tried everything and searched the web for advice. Seems there were lots of problems and comments in 2015 but then all help just died out. Did everybody just give up and let MS push Chrome out? It will simply not load. Anybody figured a work around?

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I also use only Chrome on my W10 Toshiba computer. While there are some issues with Chrome itself, for the most part it works fine.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Earl, on 18 Jun 2016 - 9:57 PM, said:

....Did everybody just give up and let MS push Chrome out? It will simply not load. Anybody figured a work around?

Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE and Opera all work fine in Win 10

Those who keep the statistics, say about 70% of Win10 users are using Chrome

Lets try to narrow this down, pls clarify what you mean by "it simply will not load". Do you mean it won't install? or it won't run when you double click directly on its desktop icon? or it won't auto start when you click on a web link?

Of course MS Edge is by default the default Browser when you first install Win10, and you need to change that setting to make Chrome or any other browser the default >> Start > Settings > System > Default Apps > Web Browser

(you need to have Chrome installed first, before it will show up as an optional selection here)

Jim

Whew! When you all said it was working and I couldn't get it to download I figured something must be amiss and blocking the download. Avast came as default on my HP. I temporarily disabled it and tried a download and it zipped right in. So guess Avast was somehow blocking the download. In the "old days" when I had a PC I used MS Essentials as my security. Guess I will go back to that rather than pay for Avast when it expires in 30 days. Any objections? I know I'm changing the subject...but, heck, I'm the OP! I just want my PC to act like a Mac--no problems, no issues, LOL. Just kidding.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road

OK Earl,

I do that as well. But I do use Malwarebytes Premium which is also a real time scanner but works alongside defender so it is not either/or as it is using Avast with the native Windows antimalware. In Windows 10 the free security software is called Defender. There are lots of hacked websites and today I landed on about five of them that got flagged and nothing happened or was downloaded my systems are secure.

I have been told that Microsoft Edge browser is fast and similar to Chrome which I have never used. But since Edge extensions are being developed finally I have changed my default to Edge and will stick with it for a while until it's become second nature.

I use Defender as my primary now, like I used MS security Essentials before. I bought Malwarebytes premium while they were still offering lifetime licenses that can easily be moved from one computer to another. And they have through our 20 or so systems during the last six years since the test bed laptop in 2010 I built for the developer previews of Windows 8 and to try my first SSD as well as maxing out that Toshiba laptop with 8GB of RAM. The try outs of tablets and touch screens and the rapid turnover of systems here has settled down.

WARNING!!!

DO not remove any antimalware program from your computer without downloading their removal tool from their website whichever company made it. There is a removal tool for McAffee, Norton, AVG and even for your soon to be removed AVAST security program. The Avast removal tool from their verified website is here: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility Antimalware programs have to work from boot and have hooks deep in the system, so go there and follow their instructions for a clean uninstall.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks, RV, for all the info. I realized that Avast wasn't my antivirus or antimalware program but a VPN program and it is what was stopping the download of Chrome. It was also stopping Netflix (and I can't live without that in the evening!). McAfee is my antivirus program. For now I've just turned off both of them and letting Defender do it's work. I will follow your advice on getting rid of them if I decide to do so. I'll continue doing some research on the best progams. As for Edge, I started with that but I, for better or worse live with LastPass on everything. It's an extension so wouldn't work on Edge and no way was I going to try deal with all those passwords, one by one, and transfer them to something else!

My needs are pretty simple at this stage of life. I mostly cruise around the internet. Then I mess with Photos. I love my wife's Chromebook and it makes the internet as simple as could be but it sucks when it comes to dealing with photos because they are all saved in the cloud so you have to go to the cloud, back to the computer, some end up in albums in the cloud some in downloads...blah, blah, blah.

So back to a PC. Thanks again for all the info. I think I'm now on the right track.

If you are going to pay for a program you can buy Malwarebytes premium which has been rated tops for years and it runs alongside of Defender for real time double protectoion. That is what I use.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Avast whether you use it as a VPN antimalware IP screen, or its normal functions it is a real time scanner.

You were running McAfee and Avast at the same time! That sure was a problem. You cannot run two real time antimalware programs at the same time without all kinds of problems. The ONLY exception to that is the Malwarebytes Premium program. You can't run Defender and any other antimalware (Antimalware includes antivirus) at the same time or any other two at the same time. You can only run Defender and Malwarebytes Premium at the same time without conflict.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Yep, when I started looking through the Apps, both were turned on, I guess by HP...don't think I did! I only figured it out because when I checked Defender, it kept saying it was turned off as I had another program going. Turned off McAfee and it still said that! Finally figured out about Avast. I read about Malwarebytes Premium and it looks like the way to go. Thanks.

Sounds like you've got it now. YW Earl!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived