Norcold NA8LX

I had the Norcold NA8LX installed as a replacement for the original refrigerator which failed after 13 years. The old refrigerator had a drip tray which caught the water dripping off the fins and drained out to the rear thru a tube.  That design worked well with no issues.

This new refrigerator doesn’t have a drip tray, instead there is a shelf molded into the back wall which is supposed to catch the drip and drain the water.  There is a little divot which allows the water to collect and drain out to the tube.  Unfortunately the tube seems to be placed too high so that instead of draining out it collects and ends up freezing and blocking the tube with ice.  When it thaws the water drips into the refrigerator compartment and eventually onto the floor.

Has anyone experienced this or a similar situation with this refrigerator?  TIA.

I am wondering if your fridge temperature is set too cold. I believe that that drain line should not freeze?

Set a small plastic  cup of water, next to the fins on the interior cooling fins. Watch the water in the cup. It should not freeze over? Except just for a short time.

You cannot keep opening the door to check it. Or the fridge will not be functioning correctly. Just when you open the door for something, look to see if it is frozen.   You normally will see frost on one end of the fins occasionally. Those fins should not freeze solid? But set that cup next to those fins that frost.

This water freezing is a known temperature setting. Water freezes at 32 degrees, all over the world.  Thermometers may be off?

Thanks for your replies.  The tube is clear at the back of the refrigerator.  I’m ran a long pipe cleaner down it to check for obstructions and found none.

I’ll lower the temperature setting and see what happens.

Lowering the temperature setting will make it even more cold inside the fridge. Frost/ice inside a refrigerator means high humidity levels. Absorption refrigerators have a slow recovery time. Check door seals for not sealing properly, you do that with a dollar bill test. Every time a door is opened it allows chilled air to spill out and replaced with warm humid air. Only open the door after you have decided what you will remove or insert to reduce the number of time and length of time a door is opened.

When our kids were young that was my most common concern with the absorption refrigerator, keeping it cold inside and ice/frost formation down. They would open a door then stand there while deciding what they wanted.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your replies.  It seems the problem was that I had set the temp settings too high.  We travel between metro St Louis and southern AL, both high humidity environments.  Last summer we had an issue with maintaining cooling and increased the settings.  I also added a fan to increase air flow over the coils.  Unfortunately, I failed to reduce the refrigerator settings after the outside temperature cooled down, thus the icing in the refrigerator compartment.  I’ve not had any icing in several days and the inside temperature is still at an acceptable level.  Again, thanks very much for your replies.