SLIDEOUT IS NOT LEVEL

Angie M

Our slideout on our 2020 Keystone Alpine tilts about 3 1/2 inches. Can’t sit at the table because it’s too uncomfortable. Our two recliners tilt back so much it’s hard to get up and they keep sliding back. When I move everything to vacuum and walk on the slide I feel like I’m going to fall out the window. We’ve taken it to several places, but are always told it’s the way it’s made.  We tried adjusting it up 1 inch and then it won’t come in correctly. Question is two fold:  is there a fix?  Can we adjust it up while parked and back down again to pull it back in each time or will that ruin the slide?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the slide is out, does the slide floor line up with the floor of the trailer? Many slides now drop down once fully extended and if that isn't happening it might be the source of your floor angle. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It sounds like you are experiencing issues with the alignment and stability of the slideout in your Keystone Alpine. While it's true that there may be limitations in how much the slideout can be adjusted due to the way it's manufactured, there may still be some things you can do to improve the situation.

First, I would suggest checking the alignment of the slideout to ensure that it's level and properly seated when extended. If it's not, then you may need to make some adjustments to the slideout mechanism or the leveling of the RV.

If the alignment appears to be correct, then it's possible that the slideout is simply too heavy or not properly supported, which can cause it to tilt or feel unstable. In this case, you may need to add additional support, such as stabilizer jacks or slideout supports, to help distribute the weight and keep the slideout level.

As for your second question, it's generally not recommended to adjust the slideout height while it's extended. Doing so could potentially cause damage to the slideout mechanism or the RV itself, and may even create a safety hazard if the slideout becomes unstable or difficult to retract.

If you're unsure of how to properly address the issues with your slideout, I would recommend consulting with a professional RV technician or Keystone dealer for guidance and assistance. They can assess the situation and provide recommendations for how to address the issue safely and effectively.

• 11 months later...

We bought a 2020 keystone alpine 5th wheel new. Our slideout in the main area with table and recliners has always slanted downward about 3 inches when fully extended. We can adjust it and make it level, but then it doesn’t pull correctly. Once adjusted and pulled in the bottom is about 3” out and the top is sealed. We have take. It in several times and are always told “that’s the way it’s made”. However, it’s so slanted that we can’t sit at the table and the recliners slip to touching the window unless I put something behind them. I have to put books under one end of a side table in order to be able to set a drink on it. 

any ideas on how to fix this problem?  Again, we have done the normal adjustments and that causes bigger issues as stated above. 

Edited by Angie M

On 2/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, Kirk W said:

When the slide is out, does the slide floor line up with the floor of the trailer? Many slides now drop down once fully extended and if that isn't happening it might be the source of your floor angle. 

Yes the front of the slideout is level to the floor but the back drops 3”. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:35 AM, travelinbob said:

Was it always like this or did this problem just start ?

Always has been this way. We have taken it to several different places to fix and always the same answer. It’s built that way. 

On 2/20/2023 at 8:44 AM, Anawilliam850 said:

It sounds like you are experiencing issues with the alignment and stability of the slideout in your Keystone Alpine. While it's true that there may be limitations in how much the slideout can be adjusted due to the way it's manufactured, there may still be some things you can do to improve the situation.

First, I would suggest checking the alignment of the slideout to ensure that it's level and properly seated when extended. If it's not, then you may need to make some adjustments to the slideout mechanism or the leveling of the RV.

If the alignment appears to be correct, then it's possible that the slideout is simply too heavy or not properly supported, which can cause it to tilt or feel unstable. In this case, you may need to add additional support, such as stabilizer jacks or slideout supports, to help distribute the weight and keep the slideout level.

As for your second question, it's generally not recommended to adjust the slideout height while it's extended. Doing so could potentially cause damage to the slideout mechanism or the RV itself, and may even create a safety hazard if the slideout becomes unstable or difficult to retract.

If you're unsure of how to properly address the issues with your slideout, I would recommend consulting with a professional RV technician or Keystone dealer for guidance and assistance. They can assess the situation and provide recommendations for how to address the issue safely and effectively.

Thank you for this info. We did not adjust while fully extended. Pulled it part way out and adjusted. We thought of stabilizers and so many RVERS and forums said it could potentially harm the slide. Do you not find this the case?

1 hour ago, Angie M said:

I am trying to add pictures but it keeps saying file exceeds size

If you put the pictures into one of the free, online photo storage locations you will then be able to use the "other media" and the "insert image from url" and thus show them on the forum. The other way would be to use a digital photo editor to make them smaller. 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you put the pictures into one of the free, online photo storage locations you will then be able to use the "other media" and the "insert image from url" and thus show them on the forum. The other way would be to use a digital photo editor to make them smaller. 

Thanks I’ll try that

https://imgur.com/signin    is a free web picture web hosting website. Create an account and follow onscreen directions, then follow Kirks directions so your pictures are seen here.

Usually flat-floor slide rooms have HWH brand systems, which are complicated underneath. Inspect your slide movement system for a brand name and model#. If you find a sticker beginning with AP then numbers it is a HWH brand system, that sticker is the part#. Armed with that number you can find and download the troubleshooting manual.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 2/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, Kirk W said:

It seems as though it is dropping into place. There is a small lip so it isn’t completely flat. Don’t know if it’s supposed to. 

Is both sides of the slide seal, against the wall the same when it is extended.

Also, with the slide in say 8”, take a mirror, put it on the floor and with a flashlight, try to look for something that is causing the problem.

Pictures are needed?

I am pretty sure that you have a Lippert frame and slide mechanism. You should take a look at this video from Lippert to see if it looks like what you have. Lippert also has a pretty good track record for customer support so you may want to try their Contact Us to see if they can help you. 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I am pretty sure that you have a Lippert frame and slide mechanism. You should take a look at this video from Lippert to see if it looks like what you have. Lippert also has a pretty good track record for customer support so you may want to try their Contact Us to see if they can help you. 

Yes we do have a Lippert and that video is very helpful. We’ve only adjusted one aspect of the slides. This weekend we will see if we can’t get this thing level. Thank you so much!  

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Is both sides of the slide seal, against the wall the same when it is extended.

Also, with the slide in say 8”, take a mirror, put it on the floor and with a flashlight, try to look for something that is causing the problem.

Pictures are needed?

I’m having trouble uploading pictures. But yes the seal is even all the way around b

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

https://imgur.com/signin    is a free web picture web hosting website. Create an account and follow onscreen directions, then follow Kirks directions so your pictures are seen here.

Usually flat-floor slide rooms have HWH brand systems, which are complicated underneath. Inspect your slide movement system for a brand name and model#. If you find a sticker beginning with AP then numbers it is a HWH brand system, that sticker is the part#. Armed with that number you can find and download the troubleshooting manual.

Thank you. I shall look for that number and try the picture app