T-Mobile Phone Service via Starlink.....press release

This was in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

Here is the press release....from last to first in one simple step???  This will get me to switch.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

this is important:

Text messaging, including SMS, MMS and participating messaging apps, will empower customers to stay connected and share experiences nearly everywhere. Afterwards, the companies plan to pursue the addition of voice and data coverage.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Given Starlink's history of unilaterally killing service for their own reasons, I'll never depend on them for service.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I think the value of this will be for hikers and off-roaders, off grid where you're away from your starlink system.

I'm very interested in this while at our mountain cabin for the summer. Hopefully Samsung will have this also.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

1 hour ago, folivier said:

I think the value of this will be for hikers and off-roaders, off grid where you're away from your starlink system.

I'm very interested in this while at our mountain cabin for the summer. Hopefully Samsung will have this also.

According to that press release it will work with any LTE capable phone. It is not equipment brand specific but it carrier specific. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

"Or you could do like we have, enable WiFi calling on your Verizon or AT&T phone when you are in a non service area and continue to talk, text and stream on your existing phone." What does your WIFI connect to?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Starlink, I assume.

I got StarLink not for the internet access, but for the wi-fi calling.  It works great.

I have a vacation rental in an area with no cell service.  By providing wifi calling to my guests on StarLink they have access to their phones and friends. 

Most of guests do not use the internet, but they do use their phones a lot for talking to friends and sending them pictures from the home to get their friends jealous!!!

In my case, I spend a lot of time alone in the woods.  Having StarLink texting for emergencies would be great and then when I got back to camp I would use the wifi calling and internet features.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 1/5/2024 at 5:34 PM, Chalkie said:

Could you explain this please? Or provide some references?

Pick a news story. Ukraine, Middle East, any place that the local infrastructure is under stress, StarLink steps up as an alternative. Once entrenched as the defacto provider, service is provided at their whim. I don't need anything that they provide badly enough to fund their mischief.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Pick a news story. Ukraine, Middle East, any place that the local infrastructure is under stress, StarLink steps up as an alternative. Once entrenched as the defacto provider, service is provided at their whim. I don't need anything that they provide badly enough to fund their mischief.

Yes, Starlink has stepped up in providing internet access to those places initially for free. Eventually, yes, they do then start to charge for it and if it is not paid for (or perhaps officially authorized) then service is discontinued. I don't see that as a whim so much an end to charity. I personally do not see anything wrong with this, but it is your money and your choice.

An interesting comparison might be Comcast or ATT cutting off your service for lack of payment after a free introductory period. There are many things where one sees the offer of free or low cost introductory periods and then the price goes up or the service goes away. Any utility service (internet, cable, phone, electricity, water, etc.) is provided at someone's whim, if you will, but it all boils down to money - no money, no service. What is the acronym? TANSTAAFL

I have had Starlink now for 2 years without any issues. Yes, there have been some modest price increases, but what hasn't gone up in price? 

8 hours ago, Chalkie said:

What is the acronym? TANSTAAFL

Good old Robert A Heinlein....

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Edit: From the book "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Good old Robert A Heinlein....

One of my favorite writers, and he did popularize it, but as I learned in a college English course it actually goes back to the 1930's or earlier. The reference comes from the habit of saloons offering a "free lunch" to get patrons to buy overpriced drinks. What they would serve was salty foods to make the patron thirsty, kind of like the really salty bar nuts served today.

Hey, thanks for the explanation about a free lunch.  I will forward it to all my economist friends.  Never did know the origin.

In other news, T-Mobile and StarLink has gotten text messaging to work.  Looks like the service will be operational fairly soon.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacexs-cellular-starlink-successfully-beams-first-text-messages-to-phones

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com